“Beautiful springs, horribly managed! Not safe for children! ”
Review of Ginnie Springs

Ginnie Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: This diver's paradise offers shallow spring, river and cave diving.
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful springs, horribly managed. The staff is militant about making sure they get paid the high entry fee, but after you leave the (deceptively clean) camp store, there is no supervision or management of any kind. Drunken college students, AS WELL AS, underage drunken teens everywhere. People screaming obscenities and blaring music. Glass beer bottles in practically every hand right where barefoot swimmers are supposed to walk. People actually smoking and drinking IN the springs. They have signs posted about checking identification, obeying rules, etc. but that would require some sort of staff involvement and, trust me, that doesn't happen. The camp area is filthy - it's loaded with trash and there are no paved roads or walkways. Unless you're age 18-25 and a Godless idiot looking for a place to be on your worst behavior, don't go here. If you have a family, definitely don't take your children here! It's not a safe environment. Save your money and go to one of the many state managed springs. I pray that this property gets taken over by decent management, OR the state, before these gorgeous springs are completely ruined.

17  Thank Melissa D

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I kayak. The Santa Fe river is a pristine piece of wilderness UNTIL you encounter Ginny Springs. There is absolutely no control on what people may bring (and leave) on the River.I've been told the beer cans on the river bottom are three feet deep. I've heard this place called "The Redneck Riviera." At no other spring in Florida is there such blatant disregard for Florida's springs. I have no objection to people floating down the river. I do object to there being no controls on pollution. It is heartbreaking.

12  Thank Jan C
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The site is magnificent but not diver friendly. Upon arrival we are told the nitrox is not available. Next upon staging gear and entering water we are inundated with swimmers blocking the entrance to steps and making entering and exiting water dangerous. Steps should be marked for Divers and one away from Ginnie for swimmers. Next when we needed refills instead of a tab system like other springs we had to pay each time carrying wet cash. The site is clearly not diver friendly as in years past when I dove and did not incur these issues.

It's worth noting that booze was prevalent and I dont appreciate exposing my teenage divers to this. We had swimmers use the middle finger on my son doing a decom stop. Concern is for divers who are clearly trying their best to enjoy water and generating revenue but forced due to lack of supervision to deal with waterways crowded with boozing people who should clearly not be in water

Ginnie needs to provide supervision for the non diving people enjoying water. If not a drowning will surely occur. The booze needs to be addressed. Any responsible person with knowledge of water knows that alcohol and water don't mix.

We won't return. Expensive trip but management needs to address these issues.

6  Thank diverd3
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have been to many dive sites over my 20 year career and still enjoy Ginnie Springs. I especially enjoy introducing new divers to the sites. This is a very clean and safe environment to enjoy bottom time for all ages. They have some great packages if you intend on staying and enjoying the river for extended periods of time. A day trip is ample to get a taste of the diving there. Great amenities on site. Tank fills and gear sales. The introductory videos helpful for first timers.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful venue with some much needed improvements.
Had several springs and you can float down the Santa Fe.
Nice picnic areas and camping.
BUT, it lacks adequate security and on busy weekends it's like the Wild West. Plenty of drunken college kids and loud music.
Check in could be a lot more organized.

5  Thank bbbd398