“Average At Best...But Perhaps Growing Pains?”
Review of The Diner

The Diner
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in High Springs
Price range: US$1 - US$18
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Traditional American 50's Style Diner owned and operated by an English family. Menu range from Breakfast ( all day ) luncheon, and dinner with southern style dishes as well as some English favorites. Daily specials normally available during the week with more adventurous options at the weekends. Karaoke and Bike nights are provided on a monthly basis.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

First impression can set the tone at a restaurant. The Diner is spotlessly clean in the dining room area which is great. But, the smell of garbage along with many of the staff openly smoking cigarettes (including the cooks) out back can certainly set a tone. An easy visual of the kitchen also reveals cooks without gloves handling various foods. Hope they washed up after smoking !!!
They bragged about their burgers, so I gave one a try. Burger get's a "average" rating. When hamburger patties are "overworked" or pressed, they tend to be nice and perfect round, but fry up tough and dry instead of juicy and sloppy (the way Americans like it). The Diner appears to be experiencing staffing issues as orders were trickling out of the kitchen (some with details issues), and I could see patrons getting restless.
My experience wasn't a bad one (the first time), but I did have to cancel my order and leave because of the slow turnover time on the second visit.
With attention to product quality and perhaps an inexpensive bathroom facelift, The Diner should be able to give it a go. I will try them again before writing them off.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have tried this diner again as I heard that the first owner was back. At first we tried their luncheon menu. I waited (along with another group) at the front in full view of 5 employees who never spoke to us for the first 4 minutes. That is actually a long time. Eventually we were seated. There were very few people there but the floors were filthy with food everywhere. The walls still had months old tape on it...nasty. The lunch was mediocre....not worth the price. But I figured that maybe we caught it on a bad day and decided that the next Sunday we would try the breakfast. Again, the floors were dirty and the service terrible. It is almost like they don't want you to order as it will create work. Anyway, the food was cold, not cool, cold. I would have immediately complained but we could not find our server until we were ready to leave. I told her at that time and she said "oh, sorry". I will not give this place another chance.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Food was good, service was great and folks were friendly. Prices are fake for what you get. They make a mean peanut butter milkshake there, so get you one.

1  Thank NellD
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Went here this morning before the church crowd got out. there were a few small parties .on the patio and still seating inside. We got our drinks and that was the extent of attention to us. We began noticing other parties staring toward the kitchen in anticipation of their orders. One of the waitresses was carrying orders to the patio one at a time... as they were ready. We overheard a cook tell one of the waitresses to tell someone there would be a 40 minute wait on an order. No one had come in since us, so it was someone who was already waiting.
After a 45 minute wait we decided to leave money for our drinks and leave. Only then did someone come to the table to apologize and say our order would arrive shortly.
Don't know how the food was, as we went down the street to Hardee's.

2  Thank Rudyfan
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I went to the diner with my family for lunch today. The food took a little while but they were very busy and let us know right away. While we were waiting they brought us chips to snack on and made sure our drinks were filled. All the staff seemed to be happy and cheerful. One of the young ladies even helped an elderly lady to the bathroom and stood outside the door to help her back to her seat. They seem to really care about the customers. We will be going back soon.

4  Thank Arielwilson