The Walkabout is a great little hotel, and a great value. The building has a lot of soul (classic 1950's Florida architecture) and some interesting history (Jimmy Hoffa invested to build it, according to the owner). The rooms are clean and well-functioning, the service is very friendly and competent, and the place is in an ideal beachfront location on Hollywood's Broadwalk. Finally, the Walkabout has its own little Tiki Bar, which is a great place to kick back after a day at the beach.
Our room was large and very clean, with a fully-equipped kitchen, and very powerful air conditioners. The bed was just OK -- nothing like the W, but sufficiently comfortable. The sheets and comforter were very nice and I suspect quite new. Some of the furniture is old and amusingly tacky (e.g., cheetah sofas) but the cleanliness of the place made it giggle-inducing, not icky. The owner, who is new, told us he plans to renovate the place into a modish boutique hotel over the next year, so it will be interesting to go back and see how that turns out (I hope I can still afford it!).
The staff was very friendly, and quick to meet our requests. For example, our request for a mid-day change of towels was met almost immediately, which was very different from my experiences at other little Florida hotels. They were also very knowledgeable of the bars, restaurants, and shops up and down the Broadwalk, and gave good advice whenever we asked for it. We actually got to know the owner, Rob, fairly well by sitting at the Tiki Bar, and we learned that he and his mother are both ex-Nordstrom employees. I think it definitely shows in the way they are training the staff.
The Walkabout has an ideal location on Hollywood's Broadwalk, an easy walk to a tropical park and a bar with the best fried fish I have ever had (north), and great pizza to the south. When you are in the mood for something a little more upscale, the Marriott right next door has a great bar and restaurant. But we found ourselves spending most of our time at the Walkabout's own Tiki Bar, which is a great place to catch some shade, have a beer, and chat with the very colorful locals who frequent the place, as well as with a wide variety of fellow vacationers. The bar has some pretty unusual beer selections, which are a welcome variation from the standard Bud/Bud Lite/Miller Lite which are often hard to escape on the beach.
I am giving the Walkabout a rating of "excellent" based on its many attributes and the excellent value. If cost were not an issue, I would downgrade it to "above average" based on the room decor, but when you think about what you are getting relative to what you are paying for, the Walkabout is nothing but excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The WalkAbout Beach Resort is a cozy family-owned and operated hotel located ON THE BROADWALK in Hollywood Beach, Florida. Our boutique, 8-room hotel was built in 1950, and it is one of the last remaining beachfront hotels designed in the Art Deco style.Our guests enjoy a wide array of amenities that include: ocean front rooms, a large tiki bar in our courtyard, seating alongside the Hollywood broadwalk, scenic views of the beach, nearby shops and restaurants, free wifi, free cable, on-site washer/dryer, live music, and fresh linens daily. Our staff is extremely friendly and professional, and we are always nearby to assist with any special requests. Hollywood Beach is one of the premier beach destinations in the world. The city provides twenty-one lifeguard towers and eight first-aid stations. An icon of Art Moderne architecture on Hollywood Beach’s famed Broadwalk, The Walkabout Beach Resort, is a classic 1940’s boutique hotel. Those who have visited claim it has the perfect blend of characteristics: chic, warm and inviting, glamorous, and tastefully modernized.To experience The Walkabout Beach Resort, is to experience Hollywood Beach at its best. In keeping with its classic style, eight oceanfront guest rooms are immaculately styled with the elegance of another era – wooden and terrazzo floors, interiors with rich textures, soft pink monochromatic colors, and decorations with a nod to its illustrious past mark the furnishings. Each room is adorned with vintage black and white photographs cataloguing Hollywood’s social history dating back to the 1920’s. When you stay at The Walkabout, discover its delightful Art Moderne ambiance and see how its past has been preserved to its original beauty. The Walkabout is known for its remarkable beachfront setting and legendary Hollywood Beach, Florida hotel location - on the Broadwalk. Named one of America's best beach Broadwalks by Travel + Leisure, the Hollywood Beach Broadwalk is more than 2 miles long, sizzling with energy that embodies the diversity Hollywood Beach stands for - bustling sidewalk cafes, unique shops, multi-hued streamline Art Moderne buildings, and unforgettable ocean views. Step out from the Broadwalk and spend the day settled on white sands, by a glistening ocean on one of South Florida’s most beautiful beaches. Still, the most popular pastime on the beach is simply savoring the charming character of this truly unique setting, so reserve a day for relaxing to the sound of soothing waves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your WalkAbout Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Walkabout Beach Hotel Hollywood
- Walk About Beach Hollywood
- WalkAbout Beach Resort Hollywood, Florida