“For what it is... it's perfect!”
Review of Angelfish Inn

Angelfish Inn
Ranked #25 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just spent 5 days at Angelfish Inn and I must say it was an excellent experience. If you are looking for the amenities of a large hotel, this isn't for you. If you like small, quiet, feel like home and comfortable, this is the place. Karin, the Manager was beyond nice, very responsive, answered all my questions before arrival and even drove me to the airport (on the way to her boxing class!) The place is old but very homey. My room was clean and stocked with the essentials. Other than the loud air conditioner it couldn't have been better. Close to the beach, I walked everywhere I needed to go, market on the corner and a nice hot shower. I would highly recommend Angelfish Inn if you're looking for clean, friendly, close to the beach and affordable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank dylewskier

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I were excited to stay here due to favorable trip advisor reviews. The owner! Karen, was away so we were greeted by Philip, who was very nice. Philip helped carry our luggage into our efficiency apartment and within a few minutes my husband and I were walking the beach which is very close by the inn. After our walk we went to LeTub for a burger, then immediately to a relative's house, in Hollywood, for an evening visit. By the time we arrived back at the inn it was very late and we were very tired. I could not wait for my head to hit the pillow. Unfortunately, the bed was very sandy, which meant the sheets were not changed from the prior guests...YUCK. I went into the living room to call the emergency phone number for after hours and had to leave a message because no one answered. Also, no one ever called me back. In the living room I noticed the navy blue clothed couch was also very sandy which meant it wasn't vacuumed prior to our arrival...YUCK. Since my call into the emergency number for "after hours" I called another phone number I found. This number was for the owner, Karen. Karen was very apologetic, mortified (her word) and promised a refund for our night's stay. Karen assured me that "this is not who we are and what we represent to our guests." She was sorry she was out of town and was not able to inspect the room herself prior to our arrival. Karen placed a call to her house sitter who delivered fresh, clean bed linens to us and my husband and I remade the bed. By the way, during all of this, I also noticed that there were crumbs on the chair pads in the kitchen which meant the housekeeper overlooked that area as well. Luckily, the bathroom was clean so I felt good about washing and showering. However, there was no shampoo for us to use. I felt very badly for Karen and could tell she was indeed sorry for the lack of cleanliness in our unit. I was glad she said she would refund us our night's stay. On a plus note, the inn is located in a great spot, close to the beach and it was a quiet night's stay. Unfortunately, because of unit's lack of cleanliness, I can not recommend this inn to anyone who is looking for cleanliness.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seascape500
karinval, Owner at Angelfish Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

I wish I could say that there is nothing in this review that is true and it is all a fabrication, unfortunately it is all true. It is not the norm and it is not how we run this property. As a small business owner I run the Inn and work every day. Every few months I try to take a day or two off and pick the times I think my presence wont be missed. Although this weekend was sold out we had very few turns and I had spoken with all of my guests before leaving. I thought the housekeeper who usually is extremely competent could handle cleaning one room without supervision. I was wrong. As far as the emergency after hour number, it rings to my house and I forgot to transfer it when I left. I did however answer my cell when she called and tried to salvage the situation from afar. I am not making excuses we screwed up BUT this is not how the Angelfish Inn usually runs as you can see from all of the positive reviews we have received over the years. I am truly sorry this guest did not have a positive experience.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The owner of this place - Karin - couldn't have been a better host. Very accommodating, friendly and helpful. The setting is nice with a large courtyard to enjoy. This place is located at about the middle of the "Broadwalk" there in Hollywood and since it is only a block or so off the beach it makes it very convenient to walk to anything on the Broadwalk. (that is not a typo lol - it's what it is called....) Overall the suite was clean and the only negative I would say was that it could've used a good mopping (it's all hard surface floors) but that did not affect the overall experience by any means!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I only stayed at Angelfish for one night, however is was an enjoyable experience. We arrived very early from the cruise port. Karin worked very hard to get us in our room as quick as possible. The room was clean and comfortable, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great customer service and location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed here for a week in November and was very happy. I am a beach bum, I like nothing more than to lay in the sand and veg out. Thius place is a block from the beach and has all the comforts of nhome. I was in a large studio and was very comfortable. The owner, Karin, is very nice and always accomodating. I got there a bit early but she drove right over and checked me in. Don't stay here if you're looking for someone to clean up after you every day, there's no maid service. You clean up after yourself, just like you do at home. Beach chairs/umbrellas also provided for you to carry back & forth to the beach.There are stores nearby where one can buy essentials and the "Broadwalk" is also a block away where there are many bars, restaurants, stores, etc.

I will be back, as often as I can!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ivan F
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This was our second visit to the Angelfish Inn. We really liked it last year so we decided to stay again this year. The rooms are small but cozy, clean, and comfortable. Karin is very friendly and accommodating She is always willing to go above and beyond to make a guest's visit enjoyable. We have witnessed her helping other guests. The Inn is located within walking distance to the beach and boardwalk. Parking may be tight but we have never had a problem because we always ride in on our bikes. And for the location, cleanliness and service, the rates are very reasonable. We would visit again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JEAN E
Reviewed 28 January 2014

First of all, there were some things that couldn't be controlled, the weather. It was unseasonably cool and we arrived very late because of our late flight. So when we entered our unit, it was very cold. We didn't realize there were space heaters.

However, Karin met us at our unit at 1AM to show us around and make sure we were okay. We really appreciated that. Knowing it was going to be cool, I thought the Angelfish would be a great place for our kids (3.5 and 1.5) and it was. The kids loved the turtles and the koi pond. Spent about the same amount of time with the animals and the beach. Even spotted a lizard or two!

The Inn is about 100 yards from the Boardwalk so that was convenient. Overall, we had a great time and Karin was very nice. One thing to be aware of is a huge resort is going in about a block away. Construction starts early, but so do my kids so it want's an issue for us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family