“Best Flophouse on the block”
Review of Richard's Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hollywood
Richard's Motel
Ranked #57 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you are looking for antiquated cramp rooms with staff that is either rude and belligerent or completely unable to speak clear english, this is your place. To the east there is a quaint neighborhood, but you happen to be on Federal Highway where if your vacation plans include crystal meth and hookers you've got the place. Lousy wifi, and rooms that just emanate despair.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Heretic64

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I liked it. The room was very very clean and the personal stuff was very very nice and provided the best service. The area location not the best., but the low price was suited more to the location than to the service. Thank you guys!!! Keep up doing great job!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Maria N, Guest Relations Manager at Richard's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Thank you for the lovely review. We appreciate your comments. The area does provide a variety of services and things to do . There are casinos, restaurants, horse and dog tracks, beach a mile away, and the Hollywood circle that that can provide families with fun things to do, including movie night, and food truck night. They also have a sprinkler park for the kids. Next time your in town feel free to come see me, I'd love to assist you with your stay.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The location and place is nice, clean and quiet. However, I had issues with the staff and services provided. Service and Cleanliness - the property and the rooms were impeccable at check-in, but the staff refused to clean the room for the next 5 days alleging that I received a weekly rate and I was not entitled. I did not. I originally checked-in for 2 nights and received 1 night at a discounted rate with a coupon, and 1 night at the regular rate. Then, I extended my stay for 3 more nights and received 1 night at a discounted rate with a coupon, and 2 night at the regular rate. Yet, after explaining to this to the head cleaning lady, she still refused to clean the room. Too bad! Great place!

Room Tip: Service and Cleanliness - the property and the rooms were impeccable at check-in, but the staff refu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rtwatfifty

I am so glad that you found our place is clean, quiet and comfortable . Its true we work very hard to provide our guest with a good clean room. During our summer months, the rates are very inexpensive .Unfortunately you did not your communicate concerns with our main office. Our staff is always ready to help you with any request . If you return please feel free to come to see me (Maria) i would be glad to assist personally.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

After passing this hotel many times over the years I decided to give it a try last week (with the help of TripAdvisor reviews). If you drive this section of Rte. 1 you'll pass many small motels just like it, but just on looks alone I'd pass on every one of them. This place from the street looks very appealing. I showed up without a reservation on a Friday (travelling solo) and all they had available was the "small room." Being it is a very unusual room (very narrow, with a bunk bed) they insisted I see it first before booking. The room was fine by me, and the price was very fine by me for the 3 nights I stayed. Even though it was very narrow there were two doors in the room, both opening to a small sitting area with 2 chairs and a table. I only used the room to sleep as I was out all day, so it more then served its purpose.

The room was bare bones. No phone, old style TV. Small freezer, I think there was a microwave, and a table clock. Tile floor kept the room looking clean. Powerful wall air conditioner. Seems a lot of Canadian folk stay here. Seems people stay for weeks, if not longer. There are at least 3 buildings in this complex, with a few pools of different sizes. Lots of nooks with tables and chairs for outdoor sitting. I think in order to get maid service to your room you must stay a week, being I was there 3 days I got none.

The girls at the front desk were friendly as was the one housekeeper I spoke to who showed me my room. There seems to be quite a few rules in force, the usual ones, and probably for the good. No loud music, public drinking (or at least keep it low). No guests, etc. They also strictly enforce the turn off lights, TV, A/C when not in room policy. People did sit out late at night around the pool area though, gave the place a nice atmosphere.

The only real negative is the neighborhood. Of course this is of no fault of the motel and they do everything possible to make your stay as safe and secure as possible. There are tall gates that connect the various sections of the motel giving you an added sense of security.

Check out the pictures on the motels web site, they'll give you a idea what to expect. All in all a good stop if you need a place when in Hollywood and you're thinking budget.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The room was spotless and appliances worked. Great bed good matress but pillows could be a little better.The pool area was very inviting and grounds were well kept.I would gladly come back. In fact it is the only place I would stay when visiting Hollywood.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Catering to an enthusiastic and loyal following of French Canadians, Richard’s Motel, Hotel and other related accommodations are usually booked well in advance. Wishing to stay a week we were only able to find an efficiency unit in the motel for four days and in a room in the hotel for three. Touted as being very clean, the rooms are well maintained but sparse (no phone in the hotel). The efficiency had a small kitchen but the gas to the oven was disconnected so our plans for a roast chicken had to be abandoned. Although we paid the daily rate (no weekly discount since we had to move!) there was no cleaning, fresh towels or visit from a housekeeper for the four days at the motel. The hotel provided towels daily but no cleaning.

The motel room suffered from an influx of small biting flies; the hotel room from a constantly moving army of tine ants and both from intermittent internet reception. The bathroom in the hotel was the size of a large cupboard and the water pressure so low that it was difficult to coax more than an incontinent dribble from the mis-positioned taps!

Located on busy Highway 1 (Federal Highway) in Hollywood, the area is a bit gritty and off-putting. We discovered far better accommodations (full suite) in the Fort Lauderdale/Lauderdale-by-the-Sea area with beach access which, with the weekly discount, was only slightly more expensive.

Room Tip: Book well ahead if you have the choice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The title is actually very soft in comparison to what is really happening @Richard's.
1. Do Not Leave Any Valuables while you are out of the room. They didn't actually steal anything from me but the story goes like this: We left the room at about 10 AM and left my tablet charging by the sink (a socket was there). When we came back to the motel the tablet was no longer where we left it to charge but was actually on the nightstand. No money was gone because we did not leave any money or valuables in the room. There was no bed made, no towels changed, no cleaning done whatsoever. Confronted with questions the lady at the desk said there was no one in our room while we were gone. Of course, what could she actually say? The thing is I KNOW for a fact that somebody was there and no cleaning was done; what business they had entering the room and moving my tablet from the sink to the nightstand I don't know but I can presume that they did not find what they were looking for because we did not leave any cash there.

2. Expect no privacy. The staff will knock on your door at 9 AM until you open the door, there will be absolutely no "Do not disturb" sings for you to hang on your doorknob. Mabe in france privacy is a luxury on holiday but in the US we value and demand it.

3. Customer Service. We wanted to stay for 4 nights in the same room but that was not possible because we booked the room on the same day we arrived in Florida and they had no option but to give us a room for 3 nights and promise us to give us another room for one more night afterwards. We payed for 3 nights and for the last night we should pay on check-in.
The check-out is to be done at 11 AM; I asked if they were flexible on this (cuz I am a late sleeper), they said they were absolutely NOT flexible so we checked out at 11 AM as the rules say. I went to the desk and booked (payed) one room for one more night right after I checked out from the room we stayed in for the first 3 nights. The desk lady said we should give a little time for the maids to clean and prepare the room for us and we went to brunch. We came back at 1:30 PM and when I went to get the key I was told I should wait for another 1 or two hours because our room was not ready. I said it is unacceptable that they did not find time to clean a room we payed for in 2 and a half hours time, demanded a refund and all of a sudden it was possible to get the room cleaned in 15-20 minutes. There was no discount for this happening.

There were also good parts: rooms are clean and pretty spatious but these two reasons are not good enough for us to go back there. There are alot of Motels on US1 and probably at least one of them can meet our demands in the future

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandru P
Richard C, Manager at Richard's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you very much for your comments. We are so proud that you stated that nobody stole anything from your room.
We have very strict policies and we ask our maids to get in each room every day to make sure everything is perfect. The maid that entered your room might have moved your tablet for it's safety because it was on the sink.
We are flexible as far as late check out but not when we have reservation coming, which was the case on that day.
Our maids were extremely busy that day and this is the reason why the room was not clean on time.
We did apologize and Richard himself ask the supervisor to put 3 to 4 girls in your room to make sure il will be done in no time for your satisfaction. We tried our best.
We do have "Do Not Disturb " sign in French and English too ! It should have been on your closet door. Sorry if it was missing from your room. If you would had request one sign from the office, we would have provided you with one.
In regards to privacy in France... just let me know when you are ready to visit France, I have some nice places to recommand to you.

Noelle