“location location”

Hollywood Beach Resort
Ranked #61 of 73 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The hotel is old and would have been wonderful in the day! It is very basic. The place definitely has character. The hotel is divided into 2 sections. One side is mostly timeshares I think and the other, the cruiseport hotel. The timeshare part was much nicer than the hotel section and had a better view of the ocean. The beach is right across the boardwalk. You walk out the beach exit and there is the pool. Cross the boardwalk and you're at the beach. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Try to get ocean view. I'm not sure how they determine who gets what. We had a view of the dumps...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jewls68

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at this old hotel that was clean and the housekeeper we had was very nice.had a nice smile, and the room it self has old furnishings needs to be up dated. The roomwas clean and the pool was enjoyable. We will definitely be returning. Thanks historic for a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Stay on 5,6, or7
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed there before a cruise with two other couples. Oou rooms couldn't have been more different. Our room was nice and well out together with a seperate kitchen, a setee, a high top table wth two chairs a closet organizer the only down side was the safe did't work. Our friends rooms had refrigerator right next to the bed. It is an old hotel but thely have resdone of it. The location is great with many resturants, bars, boutiques and it's right on the beach. It jujst depends on what you want from a hotel and what price you want to pay. It also had a nice heated pool hat looked right on the beach. Not the nicewst hotel but not a place I would be afraid to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank findadealagain
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Old, tired, worn out, dirty. You can only put so much paint on a pig. Pass this one by and don't embarrass yourself. Stayed one night prior to cruising out of Miami. Viewed the photos on line but was definitely duped by them. You'll also find that the Hotel/Airport shuttle service has a fee if staying for one night.

Room Tip: Pass this one by.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan L
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Arrived on a Sunday hotel parking is in a public garage. The garage was so full it took me 20 minutes to find a parking space. Approximately 6 pm went to dinner. It took 15 minutes to exit the garage because of the backup of people trying to pay and exit. This is a sort of timeshare hotel I went to the hotel lobby to check in and was told I need to go outside and check in at another place. It appears that there are two separate management companies for this hotel building. The lobby is tired dirty and the hotel mall has mostly vacancies. Outside and inside many of the tiles are cracked and broken.The hallways are dirty dingy and worn. The room was dirty. The top of the baseboards were caked with dirt. There are three different kinds of tile in the room. All are the Home Depot 69 cent variety. And are probably 30 to 40 years old. The cabinets are 80's white Formica with oak trim. Some of the cabinets are disintegrating because the Formica has broken off and the pressboard is exposed to the Florida humidity. The only good thing is that the bed was clean and comfortable.
I had to request a breakfast ticket from the front desk and they told me I had not purchased the continental breakfast. I showed them my prepaid Orbitz confirmation showing continental breakfast included. The clerk told me that I had to wait until she could confirm with Orbitz that they would pay for the breakfast. I can't believe that I had to wait for them to straighten out their business issues with Orbitz when I had a confirmation that showed I had purchased breakfast.
This hotel has a great location right on the Hollywood boardwalk which means if your not her for the beach you will have to endure the weekend masses. This hotel needs a massive refurbishment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jim V
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had planned a nice spring break vacation in the Hollywood/Miami beach area and were quite excited for our accommodations because of the pictures offered by the "resort's" website.But what the Hollywood Beach Resort doesn't tell you is that the hotel isn't the only thing that's historic, the pictures of the resort are historic as well! Upon arrival we entered the parking garage where a man was standing in place of a parking ticket kiosk, because both of the entry kiosks were "under repair", which was the start of many things in need of repair on the campus of this resort. After parking we took our luggage to the elevators to return to the ground floor, finding that one of the elevators was also out of service. Now when you first enter the lobby of the Hollywood Beach Resort one is impressed, and rightfully so. You take a step back in time to what a five star hotel looked like in the early 20th century, and it is really a cool experience. Old phones, and memorabilia from the era are throughout the lobby for you to enjoy. We went to check in at what seemed to be the main lobby desk only to find out that there are really two hotels operating in one so we needed to go the other desk. So we did, came back in, went through security, and into the elevator lobby. Now lets just say I am petrified of elevators and being confined in a small space, so when two of the three elevators in the hotel were "out of service" it made me VERY paranoid, so most of the time I opted to take the staircase that smelled of urine. The room upon arrival was a typical quaint beach room. Tile floor, white sheets, and a small bathroom, very standard but nothing terrible. However be forewarned that the hotel stocks each room with a stove and kitchenette, and draws a large international pool, so while walking through the hallways you might be smelling spices from eastern Europe one minute and Latin America the second, and although on paper this may seem like a good thing, it's not, and makes the already dim, spooky, potentially haunted hallways, even more stinky and uncomfortable for guests. But spooky doesn't even begin to describe the "mall" that the resort boasts so proudly about. At one point, yes, the Hollywood Beach Resort was a hopping place with its' mall and movie theaters, but that was the 80's and the 80's took with it all but two of the businesses the mall housed. So now you can walk the hallways of an abandoned mall and food court, which is very creepy, but for a history buff like myself can also be very interesting.

The best part of the Hollywood Beach Resort is its' ideal location. You are literally right on the broadwalk, and are a stones throw away from the bluest water in the continental U.S.

What really sealed the deal on the two star rating I've awarded this hotel was not because of the abandoned mall or the sketchy elevator services, because those are all things that you would expect of hotel down on luck, but what is not acceptable at any hotel is a lack of cleaning. On our second day in Miami, we returned from a long day at the beach and a trip to South Beach only to find that our trash was emptied and sheets made again. No new towels, no sweeping, no cleaning what so ever, and no new toilet paper [mind you they had only given us a half used roll to start with in the first place]. And when we went to get new towels we were only able to get beach towels because the man at the front desk did not speak English and thought we were asking for beach towels at 11'oclock at night.

Without new management or an uplift this hotel is on its way out. It has served from everything from a hot spot for Al Capone to a Navy Medical Hospital to a Homeless Shelter, but modern beach resort is just not its thing. All in all I say- Stay away! Pay $20 extra a night and head down to the Newport Beach Resort- MUCH NICER!

Room Tip: Get the double bed room, ocean front!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank tbennington
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The hotel served our purpose very well while we spent two days in Hollywood. We chose the hotel based upon a recommendation by friends. Great location. No need to move our car from it's parking spot. The only negative--I broke a toe, stubbing it on the step leading into the bathroom (ouch very much).

Room Tip: We had a ocean view, corner room, so no room next to the bedroom. Watch your step when going into t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple