“Just as good the 2nd time around”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hollywood
Sea Downs and the Bougainvillea
Ranked #21 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

As the title states. This was my second time visiting Sea Downs. Beachfront rooms overlooking the boardwalk or the broad walk as it is called.
My first year there I drove down from New York and took my bicycle with me. The following year I got smart and flew down and rented a bicycle.
I am returning this coming December and this time I'm fulfilling one of my bucket list. Taking Amtrak sleeper car from New York to Hollywood. The Hollywood Amtrak station is five minute ride from Sea Downs.
I only gave four for service, because once you're settled in they basically leave you alone unless you ask for their help. Which is fine with me. Of course they take out your trash and give clean towels every day.
December can't come fast enough.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank bhotter1775

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just returned from a week stay at Sea Downs and had to write this review.....this was truly a beautiful place to stay and as I told the owner, I felt like I hit the lottery with this vacation. I booked this based on reviews I read and the virtual tour video that captured the beauty of this location. Upon my arrival, I was greeted with a professional friendly staff and throughout the stay, always felt a personal attention to my comfort and enjoyment. I stayed in unit 8...which was oceanfront, spacious, clean, and quiet. This property offers the comforts of home, the charm of a new England inn and all the opportunities of a tropical resort...with nightlife, fishing, watersports, etc just steps away. I will definitely be heading back to the Sea Downs often as it is exactly what is needed to replenish the soul. Thank you Mr and Mrs. Herzog, Leslie and Sue!! Best,
Ursula

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ursula W
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was my fourth consecutive year at Sea Downs/Bougainvillea--and I LOVE it! The Herzogs run a meticulously beautiful, clean, friendly getaway for us Bostonians to reward ourselves after the long winter. Hospitality, cleanliness and panoramic views of the sea and sky are top notch. The rooms are perfect--have stayed in 3 gorgeous ocean-facing rooms at Sea Downs, and loved them, and the room at Bougainvillea was set into foliage and fauna from Paradise, overlooking a beautiful courtyard! Could not have been more happy! I look forward to these trips for 51 weeks--just came back last week and will be down again next year with my extended family--we all overlap our weeks to enjoy the already family-like atmosphere there. Very comfortable & accommodating, with a super-friendly, efficient staff! Thank you, Claudia, Karl, Leslie, Trudy, Sue and Debbie for having us, again! --See you next year! Many thanks!

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful here! Corner rooms are very sunny! Bougainvillea was a bit quieter, because...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My cousins and I were guests at SeaDows March 13-27th. Friendly and prompt personalized service. Trudy at reception always made you feel very welcome and met requests in a timely manner.

The property i.e. apartment, patio and pool (although small) well maintained. Sue who tends to housekeeping is always friendly and helpful. Towels are changed daily. However, bed linens only once/week, not an issue for us but an earlier review stated linens were changed daily, not so.

The location on the broadwalk is excellent, quiet end but easy walking distance to live music and restaurants.

We had a one bedroom apartment complete with kitchenette, great for a quick morning breakfast. Beds are hard but they will accommodate a foamie for those of us that prefer a softer bed.

Only complaint would be is that there is no designated area outside for smoking. Smoking not permitted in the apartments but permitted outside the door of the apartment and the patio. Unfortunately we had guests who enjoyed their cigars and cigarettes, so enjoying sitting outside the apartment or on the patio was not possible. Very offensive if one is a non-smoker.

Owner aware of my one complaint...which could easily be rectified to the satisfaction of all :)! I know we cannot satisfy everyone all of the time!

All in all would recommend this property if smokers do not bother you!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed in unit 5 studio. Partial view of the ocean and it has a double burner, sink and 2 small fridges. King bed splits into 2. Nice decor.
What I liked best is the Sea Downs communal patio looks at the ocean and you are steps away from the sand. You can people gaze at the endless stream of people blading, biking, jogging, or just walking by on the Hollywood Broadwalk.
Many of the guests are long time returning customers. I will certainly return. I stayed at the Sea Downs just 4 days and made friends with some of the long time guests and I look forward to seeing them again.
The proprietors are Claudia and Karl and they provide a quality service. Prompt response for any maintenance required. The linens are changed daily by the great cleaning staff- thanks Sue and Denise! Thanks to Leslie in the office who is always ready to serve with a smile:-). There is a family type atmosphere and camaraderie among the staff and guests.
This is one of the last little lodgings near the north end of Hollywood Beach. It is a little quieter but you are minutes away from the action.
I walked miles on the beach in both directions. Going north it is a lot less populated. It is a 2 mile northbound walk to Dania beach. Walking south you do the Hollywood strip. You walk the Broadwalk or lose your sandals and go walk the beach if you walk south fare nought you get to Hallandale beach. The one bedroom units are a little pricier, especially as a solo traveller, but they are great rooms with spectacular ocean views.

I also stayed a week in a one bedroom unit at Bouganvillea sister property. Very nice rooms. I may consider getting the unit with a balcony and ocean view next time.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My mother and I had a lovely time staying at the Bougainvillea! We enjoyed our view of the beach and boardwalk as well as all of the beautiful tropical plants and flowers that surrounded the hotel complex. The service was excellent and we did not lack for anything. We noted that Debbie, the office manager who secured our room, was outstandingly friendly and welcoming and made us and the rest of the guests from both the Bougainvillea and Seadowns feel like members of a community. I have stayed at many places and I have never seen an attendent so gracious and eager to be of service!.
I would definitely stay at the Bougainvillea again and I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a safe relaxing vacation at a beautiful place on the beach!
Room Tip: If you want a quiet place with a lovely courtyard and european style decor stay at the Bougainvillea.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We recently enjoyed our third year stay at Sea Downs directly on the Broadwalk in Hollywood Beach; we already look forward to next year. The location is perfect, a short walk from the busiest section of the Broadwalk to a quieter and less crowded area with the Broadwalk, beach and ocean at your front door. There's a common patio with umbrella tables with chairs and chaise lounges when you opt out of the beach. We stay in one of the one bedroom apartments--with a beautiful large window view of the palm trees, beach and water. Everything you need is provided; large refrigerator; gas stove; plenty of storage space; central air conditioning; fresh towels six days a week; immaculate and the owners--Claudia and Karl-- live on the premises (top third floor). They and the others, including Leslie and Sue, are wonderful. Professional, welcoming, attentive and responsive; everyone tries his/her best to make your stay ideal. Walk to restaurants, shopping and entertainment--on the Broadwalk. We recommend the delicious food at Sugar Reef and Taco Shack but there are many choices. You can buy the NYTimes at the near-Mariott each day. Parking for one car is included and there is a Publix five minutes away. Movie complex is about 10 minutes away for that rainy day. What is there to not love?

Room Tip: Book early as many, including us, come back year after year.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple