“If you're open, you're open, right?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sage Oyster Bar - CLOSED

Sage Oyster Bar
Cuisines: French, American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Harrison and 20th Av
Transit: Public bus and Hollywood trolley stops within a 1-5 minute walk from us.
Portland, Oregon
“If you're open, you're open, right?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had a so-so experience with Sage Oyster Bar. My bf & I had guests in town who love oysters & bought a great groupon for both of us couples. We showed up earlier than most, about 10 minutes after they opened. I can understand feeling rushed, but they asked us to wait outside. Then when we were ready to go in, only the bar was open (which was fine). However, the staff was mingling at the bar, and it didn't feel like a normal dining experience. They didn't seem pleased we were there. The groupon deal was fine, but I would have preferred to feel more welcome.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank pdxme

Bordeaux, France
“Authentic French food and warming welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

We are working in the French Wine Industry. It is always hard for us to find a decent French restaurant when we come in Florida for business. That we found with Sage in downtown Hollywood. We had a seafood platter to start. The French Chef came to our table to present the living lobster before being cooked. And being myself from Britany region in France I can tell you he knows how to cook a lobster to perfection. Everything was perfect from seafood to creamy risotto and the crispy duck makes me think of the Perigord. Last but not least the wines were (hush don't tell my boss) very good. I highly recommend Sage

• Visited May 2013
Ormond Beach, FL
“Sage took a reservation and then was not open!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

We also unfortunately bought a Groupon, specifically for Sunday Brunch. I would advise anyone to NOT purchase this Groupon or any other from Sage. We have gone there before for dinner and had a great experience, but this was too weird. We spoke to a woman on the phone at Sage a week ago and made reservations for yesterday at 11 am. When we got there, the restaurant was not open and no one in sight. On their web site, they state they are open for brunch at 11 am on Sunday. This was supposed to be an early Mother's Day celebration and how disappointing it was. We walked down Harrison for close to 30 minutes, still no sign of anyone. RUDE. Luckily, we walked around the corner to Bistro 1902 and had a wonderful brunch! We will be contacting Groupon for a refund.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank LaurenBeth1
Plantation, Florida
“Do Not Go Here EVER!! They stole my Groupon Voucher!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had been looking forward to eating at Sage for months, and we had a Groupon to use there, so we finally went last night. And let me preface this by saying my husband and I never complain about restaurants. We are very easily pleased, and we both have been in the restaurant industry for over a decade.

So here goes - First we had drinks at the bar during happy hour, and the bartender was unfriendly, wouldn't make eye contact, and was talking on his phone for nearly the entire twenty minutes we sat at his bar. The drinks were fine (just wine and a mixed drink), but the rest of the bar experience was incredibly awkward. After he hung up the phone, we were trying to ask questions about the menu and about the restaurant, and he kept giving us simple, cold answers. Then, after giving up on conversation with him, he went outside to set the tables and left us with empty drink glasses and no bill.

Eventually he came back, and asked if we wanted to order dinner, and we said we would rather sit at a table. We cashed out and went to out table. Mind you, this entire time, there was only one other patron at the bar, and one other table in the restaurant.

At the table the server never asked if we had a Groupon or anything, so just before ordering, we told him we had one and he asked to see it. He instantly looked disappointed, and said "Well you can't order off of the regular menu." And took our menus and the Groupon voucher away, returning with two rumpled, paper menus with cheap appetizer and entree choices that I could have ordered from a pizzeria, not a fine French restaurant and oyster bar. There was nothing French on this "French" menu. The closest thing to French was the boeuf bourguignon, but since it is served "over linguine," I believe that disqualifies it from being French.

I asked to see the manager, because I was not expecting this sad little prix fixe menu. The manager, when she finally came out, clad in tee shirt and jeans, was also cold, defensive, and full of excuses. When I explained why I was disappointed, she proceeded to carry on about how hard her job is, explaining to every single of the 600 Groupon carriers that the prix fixe is the only option and that food costs are too high, blah, blah, blah. Then she went on defending her "French" menu with items such as chicken risotto, margherita pizza, and caprese salad, saying these are, indeed, French variations of the original. Are you kidding me?

After explaining to her that if I wanted Italian pizzeria food, I would have gone to my local pizzeria, I asked if we could just apply the Groupon money ($45 was what I paid) to regular menu items, and just use it for it's face value, like a gift card, and she said absolutely not. "We don't do that. It can only be used for the prix fixe. So why don't you just try our Mushroom Napolean" or whatever it was called (mushrooms, mozzerella, and tomato - basically a caprese salad). I said I would take the matter up with Groupon, and we left, without eating.

Well, the nightmare is not over yet! I realized after we were almost home, that the waiter never gave me my Groupon voucher back. So just now, I checked my Groupon account, and they cashed in my voucher! Sage Oyster Bar stole $45 from me!

Overall, all I can say is, NEVER EVER GO TO THIS RESTAURANT.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Jessica R
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Hard to believe it's the same Sage as in Ft Lauderdale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We have had such disappointing meals at Sage Ft Lauderdale that we were hesitant about Sage Oyster Bar in Hollywood. A Groupon coupon later, we ventured to Hollywood to see it for ourselves. The restaurant is on an upscale street (Harrison) which has lots of restaurants, bars, clubs and galleries. A very nice place to stroll as well as people watch. The restaurant itself is very inviting and charming. From the foie gras to the fresh pommes frites and including luscious mussels in white wine sauce, the dinner was terrific. We had a perky, fun waitress and had great service at a table outside.

• Visited April 2013