Setting the scene:
My wife and I don't get out very much. We both have full-time jobs, 2 kids under 11 years old who have sports activities and homework that needs to get done, and we are trying to get a new business off the ground. Do you think we have a social life? No! I'm sure we're not the only family with this type of life, so don't think we believe we're the only people on the planet living this kind of life LOL. Fact of the matter is...we don't have a lot of time to spend together or go out.
The hotel experience:
My wife booked a reservation through the Crowne Plaza's web site on April 4th, 2013 and we received a confirmation email that day. We receive another confirmation email on April 24th. Both emails included a confirmation number. I contacted the hotel via email 2 days before check in and told them we were coming down to Florida from Michigan for a baptism (since we're the God Parents). I also let them know that we don't get out a lot because of our busy schedule we wanted to make a long, romantic weekend out of the trip and celebrate our anniversary. I politely asked for a room upgrade. All I got from the Reservations Manager at the Crowne Plaza was, "Please be advised that we have tried to locate your reservation with both the confirmation number provided and your name but have been unable to find it in our system."
After I received that reply, I called central reservations for Crowne Plaza and they found my reservation using my confirmation number without any issues. So I followed up again with the Reservations Manager at the Hollywood Beach Crowne Plaza and let her know central reservations found us in their system. Again, I got a reply back saying she could not locate my reservation by confirmation number or last name. This back and forth went on for 2 days. Finally, while boarding the plane, I asked her if she could follow up with central reservations. She obviously did not because when we got to the Crowne Plaza at Hollywood Beach the front desk could not find our reservation. It took almost 30 minutes to check in and we were made to think it was our fault.
Furthermore, they did not apologize, they did not do anything to remedy the situation knowing our back story and having contacted the Reservations Manager for the hotel. What they did was give us a room on the 4th floor with torn furniture, and a view of the parking lot and a dumpster that stunk to high heaven! Later that evening I asked if there was a chance to get a room upgrade the next day and I was told by the manager on duty to stop by after 11:00 am. So I did. I spoke with a gentleman and told him our situation. He was more than happy to help. He said we'd be put in a suite on an exective floor with a nice view. I guess the hotel considers an executive suite a room with a king-sized bed on floors 8-10. It was the same exact room we had on the 4th floor except we were now on the 8th floor (an "executive" floor) with a half-way decent view. So not a room upgrade at all except for a half-way decent view.
As I was boarding the plane to go back home, I got an email back from the Reservations Manager saying if she would have found my reservation that she would have been able to prioritize an upgrade. She said sorry for the inconvenience (oh, gee...an apology after we checked out).
The fact she didn't take 2 minutes to call central reservations and verify my reservation is, to say the least, horrible customer service. She must have known that we were going to have an issue checking in, therefore she could have at least done some leg work for 2 minutes to verify things with central reservations. That didn't happen which is just plain lazy and really ticks me off. It took almost 30 minutes to check in. Then we got a room with a view of a smelly dumpster!
There was no apology or no effort to remedy the inconvenience. In fact, the manager on duty who checked us in saw us at the pool and just looked at us. She never came up to apologize or ask how the room was, or ask us if we're enjoying the pool...NOTHING! Just walked right by us after making eye contact. Stellar customer service!
If it was me as the hotel manager, I would have at the very least apologized for the inconvenience. Then, knowing our situation and back story, I would have offered a bottle of champagne, or one free drink for each of us at the tiki bar in the pool area, or comped a breakfast or a lunch or a dinner...or SOMETHING...ANYTHING!!! So as I mentioned before, my wife and I don't get out very often. We were just looking for a romantic getaway...nothing more, nothing less. We thought the Crowne Plaza could help us out just a little, but they didn't and needless to say we were extremely disappointed with the way we were treated by the Crowne Plaza at Hollywood Beach. My wife's review is also on this site and is similar in content. Yes...that's how upset we both are. We both took the time to write a review of our experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reserve a welcoming stay at the Doubletree Resort Hollywood Beach, one of the premier Fort Lauderdale hotels. Our ideal location among Hollywood, Florida hotels situates us conveniently between luminous beachfronts and stellar Ft. Lauderdale attractions like Gulfstream Park and Miami Dolphin Stadium. Experience lodging that befits the stunning surroundings. Utilize our state-of-the-art fitness center, taste South Florida hotel cuisine at Port South Bar & Grille or sip a cool cocktail from Lava Tiki Bar & Grille. After a spectacular day of fun in the sun, retire to our richly-appointed guestrooms at one of the leading hotels in Hollywood, FL. Don t miss a gorgeous sunset from your balcony, and take advantage of amenities including complimentary high-speed Internet access, in-room safe, refrigerator, microwave and free premium cable. Plan your South Florida travel around a luxurious stay at one of the newest Florida vacation resorts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach Hotel Hollywood
- Hollywood Crowne Plaza
- DoubleTree Resort By Hilton Hollywood Beach Florida