“Not a very Merry Christmas”

Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Not a very Merry Christmas”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked (3) rooms at The Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach Hotel in Florida. Several days before my arrival I attempted to cancel my bookings. I was informed that only the Central Reservation Department was operating and that I would need to call back the next day to speak directly with the hotel. When I called back I was informed that only ORBITZ could cancel my reservation. ORBITZ requested that I call back at 3:00 p.m. so that they could speak directly with the front desk manager (Monica) I again called back and was informed that the hotel would not permit me to cancel my rooms as it was now too close to my arrival date.

I feel that this was a deliberate bait & switch on the part of ORBITZ and the hotel

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Colleen A
Tana F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear ColleenA,

We appreciate you taking the time to share this review. It's unfortunate to hear of the inconvenience you encountered when trying to cancel your reservation. Please be aware that reservations made through third party websites such as Orbitz.com must go through the agency directly. Should you need future reservations assistance, we would be happy to help. You can contact us directly at sales@cphollywoodbeach.com. Thank you for your time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Not on the beach, but across the street, though I've never been to their beach. Huge pool overlooking the Inter.Coastal where the yatchs pass all day. Nice view. Lobby nice, as are rooms and resto. Good breakfast buffet. Location is primo near shops and restos. 10 mins to Aventura Mall. Hotel and area r not for college party crowd. Fat chance getting a check-in before 3pm. Staff friendly though resto staff are slow. 1/2 the tables were empty but needed cleaning. Front desk, valet and house keeping were all friendly and good. Food is also served at pool. I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Mike K
Dear Mike K,

Thank you for sharing such a pleasant review with us. We truly appreciate your loyalty to us and hope we continue to receive feedback from you like this one. Have you signed up for our rewards program, IHG Rewards Club? If you haven't yet, you should do so and start earning points with our stay. Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

What initially seemed to be a perfect place to celebrate New Year’s Eve with my wife and daughter turned out to be one of my worst nightmares….I’ve bought - like I’ve done several times in the past - an iPhone 5S and gave the hotel address as the shipping address. The concierge received it and even signed it. So when I went to the front desk to get my package and realised no one seemed to know of the existence of the cellphone I knew something was wrong. I tried to talk to the general manager of the hotel but instead they called the chief of room service (?!?) who said the hotel had an insurance and some procedures should be done in order to know what happened. She never gave me an estimate of how long it would take to give me an answer. She never admitted the hotel received the cellphone - even when I showed her the UPS page confirming it was received by one of their staff. She told me to get in contact with Apple and try to trace the device - wait a minute, what does Apple have to do with it??? I bought it, they shipped it, the hotel received it and they lost it. End of story.
I tried several times to solve that. Always talked to someone that was not aware of my case. There’s no record of it at all. I’ve always asked to talk to the general manager and no one knew if he’s coming to the hotel in the next few days. As a matter of a fact one of the employees gave me his email and told me he won’t show up in the hotel this week (wait a minute: the hotel is completely full this time of the year and the general manager doesn’t show up? There’s no one responsible for it?)
So I just wrote him the email. And asked him to give me an official answer - which I’m beginning to think I won’t have it. Next step is calling the Police and making a report - that’s my procedure when someone steals from me. Unfortunately, the only thing I’m 100% sure now is that I’m never coming back here….

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Glaucio S
Tana F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Glaucio S,

Thank you for taking the time to share this review with us.
We greatly apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with your iPhone 5S shipment. We are aware if the situation and understand there was a miscommunication on our end. At this time, we know you have been corresponding with our Rooms Division Manager who has resolved this issue with you. We would be happy to address any additional questions or concerns you may have at this point. Please email us directly at sales@cphollywoodbeach.com. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Management
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

8 night stay, rooms clean with a balcony, a/c was very quiet so I have no idea what the previous review is talking about. My only complaint is that the gate leading to the pool makes a loud noise every time someone closes it. There should be a way to fix that.

Food is good, a little expensive but whatev...

Staff exceptionally friendly and accommodating. I asked them if I could drink and eat a raw coconut and the maintenace guy, Gonzalo, tracked down a coconut for me and my girlfriend.

Location is great, the beach is across the street and the pool faces the intercoastal water where boats and a water taxi comes by. You can explore Fort Lauderdale by this boat and there is also a trolley every 15 minutes for $1. Aventura Mall is 10 minutes away by taxi for shopping

We were thrilled with our stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pxc033
Dear pxc033,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your vacation with us in Hollywood. We will review your concern regarding the gate to the pool with our management team and ensure we get that resolved. We truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon!
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Valet:

Where do I begin, the first time I got my car back from the valet it didn't have any type of valet tag attached to it, how do they know not to give it to somebody else instead of me? I asked and the guy said "Don't worry, I know it's your car." Then the second time I retrieved my car, they decided to attach the little string to it with the identifying information.

One night when I parked in the front, around midnight. Nobody was at the valet desk, I looked around and waited for 5 minutes and then finally went inside. The valet was helping somebody at the front desk, apparently they're short-staffed? Then the valet went outside to help the gentleman in front of me waiting to have his car parked as well. I heard the valet say "just leave the key on my desk ok?". No, I'm sorry I don't pay $20 a day in valet fees to have you tell me to leave my key on the desk, what's to stop somebody off the street from running up to the desk grabbing my key and leaving with my car? After first checking in I was told to call 5 minutes before I need my car and they'll have it waiting for me. So I did, when I came down, my car wasn't there, the valets were standing around and I had to ask for them to get me my car, so obviously I guess the phone call was ignored because they weren't busy at all.

Right near the elevators there was pool of water, there wasn't a leak so I guess it was from guests coming from the pool or beach. Next morning the pool of water was still there, not sure if it was new or the same one but the point is the staff isn't on top of things like this.

The bathroom in my hotel room, where the towel bar is, I could see pencil marks of x's where they obviously were laying out where it should be hung. I found multiple marks. I found some bright neon pink stuff on the bathroom wall. I found bright yellow, orange, green marks on the white ceiling. Who knows how they got there or what they are, but that tells me they don't clean well. The a/c was extremely noisy, that tells me the system is old and not well-maintained.

Some of the shower curtain hooks were mismatched and rusted. The first day the cleaning service left me about a quarter of the soap and towels I was given on the first day.

Then to top it all off, one day we left our room at around noon, the cleaning service was outside. We locked the door. Around 10 hours later we come back to our room, the door is open, the inside latch was moved to keep it from closing and the room was made up. So the cleaning service left our room open, possibly for several hours. We had electronics, cash, jewelry, other valualbles in the room. Luckily nothing was stolen, but it could have been easily. That's a huge security issue, what if some kids ran into the room and wrecked it? What if a criminal snuck into the room and waited for me to stab me? I let the front desk know on the phone right away and let them know the next morning, all they could say was they would make a note of it to the manager. They should have moved mountains to show their concern, comped me a night, not charged me valet, something, but they didn't. Very disappointed and it shows me management is clueless as to what goes on here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph A
Dear Joseph A,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We greatly apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. The service issues mentioned in this review will be reviewed with our management to ensure they are addressed. Our team strives to exceed all of our guest’s expectations so to hear of your dissatisfaction is truly alarming. Please feel free to contact directly at sales@cphollywoodbeach.com should you want to discuss this further. We hope for the opportunity to show you what our service culture is all about in the near future. Thank you again for your time.
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended. The only concern is limited restaurants in walking distance. This could be simply resolved with car rental, taxi, or local buses.
We had tons of fun, and would be happy to come back.
Stayed over Christmas week.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Anna B
Dear Anna B,

We are so happy to know you and your family enjoyed your Christmas vacation with us!
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Hopefully, our concierge was able to provide you with restaurant recommendations nearby. The Hollywood Trolley stops directly in front of our hotel and for only $1 each way, you can explore the many restaurants within a short distance. Again, we appreciate your time in sharing this review and look forward to seeing you all in the near future!
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Booked this hotel for 4 nights through Travelocity, stayed one night. Could not sleep, AC was so loud and annoying, checked out after one night. Hotel staff was rude and unaccommodating. Travelocity customer service call center is out of India, totally worthless. Will never book through Travelocity again, once you pay, there are no refunds, regardless of how bad the rooms are.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel.