“The Keys Don't Work”

Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Saddle River, New Jersey
“The Keys Don't Work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

My flight into Ft. Lauderdale got me to the hotel at noon and there were no available rooms for early check in. I was able to change into a bathing suit in a bathroom and then went and sat at the pool until my room was ready.

I was given 2 keys - the plastic ones that you swipe. The reception clerk told me to keep them away from a cell phone as they stop working when placed next to one. Well, on the way up to my room, I did not put the keys next to my cell phone. Neither one worked by the time I reached the 10th floor. So I went back down and had them re-keyed. I was admonished by the reception clerk who told me that I should be calling from the floor phone.

The next day I returned from my business conference and went to my room. The keys did not work. I saw a phone in the elevator reception area and picked it up. There was nothing to indicate where it rang or numbers to dial to get assistance for different items. So, I went to the lobby to get the keys re-keyed. I go to the room, put down my bags, picked up the ice bucket, got ice and tried to get back into my room. Guess what? The keys did not work! I hadn't had my cell phone near me since the last re-keying! After getting my keys fixed, I decided to stay in my room for the remainder of the evening because I just did not want the hassle of dealing with the keys.

I spoke to another person in the hotel who indicated that they had similar issues with the keys. They were told my management that all keys at other hotels have the same issues.

Just as an FYI, I have NEVER had these consistent problems with keys at any other hotel.

On the positive side, the room was large but I do not like having a sheer piece of gauze separating the sink from the bed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Barbara K
Erika L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Barbara K,
Thank for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and rooms. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. We will look into your concerns with our management team and take necessary actions to improve. We certainly hope to see you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is a hotel not in the hub of anything . It is not on the beach. It is on the canal system .
NOTE> Currently there is construction going directly opposite the hotel on the canal. Be prepared for some noise. You will notice this if you are in the pool area. The pool itself is a great size infinity style and heated. Very nice indeed. There is a tiki bar where you can order drinks
and snacks and lunch fare. Average.
The restaurant is mainly used for breakfast. Some have it included(buffet) some do not.
I booked through hotwire $100 per night no breakfast. Some paid more ...a lot more.
I would not pay more than $150 per night.
The beds were very comfortable, rooms were clean, water pressure good and plenty of hot water.
You need a car to go to places from here or call a taxi. Nothing much to walk to except the beach.
And there is nothing on the beach. Its a long long walk to the Hollywood boardwalk, where there is more of a buzz.
I also stayed at the Westin Diplomat across the street. Now that is a true 4star hotel. And it is on the beach. Rates may be slightly higher. Booked that through hotwire at $125 per night.
Would I stay at the Crowne again? NO.
There are far too many other places to visit with far more amenities. This is a great place for
a stop over or if you need to be in this general area for whatever reason. If you stayed for one week or more you might soon get bored..

Room Tip: top floors as they have a partial view of canal and ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rayz
Dear Rayz,
Thank for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We appreciate all your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. We will look into your concerns with our management team and take necessary actions to improve. We certainly hope to see you in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights this week.
We were returning from a cruise and decided to stay in town for a few more days to enjoy the weather. We attempted to check in at 2pm, greeted y a grumpy woman who couldn't careless about your business or your client experience, but were advised by the check in staff to come back in 30 minutes as they have no rooms available.
We came back instead at 3:30 hoping to get a room which there was still a wait for - no matter we get it - busy area (Fort Lauderdale/Miami crowd) - understood. We were cheked in by Jose, he was great and made it a point for us and from there we had a fast in and out of the reception.
We were checked in on the 2nd floor into a king size room which we were happy about.
Overall look of the hotel is modern with clean lines).
We had the fitness centre on the second floor right in front of our room so lots of traffic. The walls are thin so lots of noise.
Upon arrival into our room we figured the toilet drain doesn't function properly/clogged toilet.
We called down to see if we can get another room and were told we would be called back with a decision on that in the ball park of 10 minutes. 30 minutes later, we were called back and told they are sold out of rooms and cannot accomodate.
When I asked do you expect us to go into the public bathroom everytime we need to use the rest room (I am pregnant, morning sickness - try every 3 hours) - advised by another grumpy staff member that she can send up maintenence "if we want" - I said sure lets see what they can do.
I asked her how long before they arrive, I was advised 10-15 minutes. Its not 6:30pm - no maintnence staff has been sent up.
I physically decided to go down to the desk (my fiance was exhausted and asleep) and made an inquiry on what the issue is. Greet by another grumpy staff member - she had no clue of my concern and was leisurely strolling to search for someone from maintenence to help me.
10 minutes at the desk I was advised someone is up there knocking on the door now.
I ran back upstairs and found a gentleman knocked on my door and he took care of the rest.

The hotel itself it great, good location, few knicks here and there but we get it - Nice facade, good entertainment area by the pool. The staff really need to be trained in customer service and providing better resolutions to our issues segment.

The restaurant manager is a darling and was super nice to us in the pool area.

Probably wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: arrive as late as possible to be checked in on the first go - you won't really get an ocean view...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelbug1990_11
Dear Travelbug1990_11,
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our pool area and we greatly apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We will review your feedback with our management team and take necessary action to improve. We truly appreciate your time.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The room was nice, spacious enough and having a balcony was nice. All the staff was very friendly and extremely accommodating. It made my stay that more pleasurable. The cleaning staff took care of the most minor details that I've witnessed in other hotels are often forgotten. However, based upon the price of the room. I did expect a little more luxury (i.e.: toiletry amenities could be upgraded, a wet bar could be supplied and quality of desserts could be upgraded). I did not have a meal here at all and can not comment. All in all, a pleasant stay, but would recommend some finer touches. I stayed on the executive floor and could not discern any "specialness" about paying for a room on that floor.

Room Tip: Choose room depending upon view most pleasing to you, the Intercoastal (left side of hotel) or the o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Erika L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear ginacali1,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We truly appreciate all of your wonderful feedback on our hotel amenities and our staff services. We look forward to welcoming you back to South Florida in the near future.
Hudson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

This hotel is across a busy road from the ocean, but it also sits waterfront on the intercoastal, which is beautiful. It has a nice pool area and sits the opposite direction as the ocean, so if the ocean is too windy, the pool area will be nice, and vice versa. the Tiki bar is nice and the food is good, but neither are cheap. The car valet service is a waste of money and the only downside, although most of the hotels are that way. The trolley costs a dollar and goes all along the beach and into downtown so we took that every day rather than pay to park everywhere we went. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing East or West for the water view. The North/South rooms overlook the parking lot an...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Solo44
Dear Solo44,
thank you for sharing your experience and feedback with us.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel amenities.Hope to see you soon!
Westerville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is a very clean, nice hotel. Our room was spacious and comfortable, complete with kitchenette, microwave and minifrig. The beds are wonderful. Pool area is beautiful. One disappointment...this property is not directly on the beach. That being said, the beach has an easy access across the street. Some reviewers complain of crossing a highway....no worries....there is a light and crosswalk. This hotel is quite a distance from the broad walk but the trolley stop is right in front of the hotel. Trolley is one dollar each way and has several convenient stops. I recommend downloading the Hollywood trolley app to keep track of its location so you aren't caught wasting time waiting for a trolley that is 20 minutes away. Also, the stop for the water taxi is at the back of this property behind the pool. 2 convenient ways to get around. Other reviewers have complained about the pool towels and price paid for their rooms. The pool towels are just as nice as any other hotel, and I have stayed at many nice hotels. We booked our room through Southwest Airlines package and felt that we got a fair deal, compared to properties on the broad walk. Also consider renting a bike and keeping it on your balcony. Plenty of areas to ride bikes. Staff is courteous and attentive.

Room Tip: Request a king room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erika L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Lunchlandqueen,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Rooms are fine and pool area very pleasant but we found the staff rather grumpy in general. The good and drink is OK but expensive. Room rate also seemed expensive however it was not an unpleasant stay, just not excellent.
Good position for Hollywood beach but nothing much close if you don't have a car.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear FireballXL1,
Your feedback is very important to us and we will be sure to discuss these concerns with our management team for improvement. Thank you for your time and we hope to see you in Hollywood soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Hollywood Beach Marriott
#6 of 66 in Hollywood
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,492 reviews
Central Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
#17 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,562 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!