The hotel advertises wireless and wired high-speed Internet.
The wireless Internet was working extremely poorly during first few days of my stay - somewhat improved later.
The wired Internet was not working at all and the hotel refused to fix it when I asked.
Guess why? Because it WOULD COST THE HOTEL MONEY! That's how they explained it!
I pay my money to the hotel, but they refuse to spend them to fix what they advertise.
And the wired Internet, most likely, has been disconnected in the entire hotel for a while, without hotel employees even knowing it.
And, there is a person called Isabel Guidobono, who is supposedly authorized to allow repairs, but she is hiding from hotel guests and refusing to authorize repairs when hotel employees ask her.
Read on, and you will see why I think that.
I checked in on Saturday, May 24, before a long weekend.
The phone in my room was not working.
The wired Internet was not working either.
The wireless Internet was working poorly.
The maintenance guy insisted that there was nothing wrong with the phone, but they did replace it when I insisted, and the replacement was working fine.
Then we (the maintenance guy and I) called the company that supports the wired Internet for the hotel (SONIFY Solutions). Every room has their phone number written down, and the hotel maintenance guy said, we needed to call them.
The hotel maintenance guy was of little help, but I am an IT engineer myself - I have been working in IT for the last 15+ years or so.
After a couple hours of troubleshooting, SONIFY informed me that the switch port on their end doesn't detect a physical link. Nor does their switch see my MAC address on any other port. I informed them that on my end my laptop detects the link and successfully negotiates speed and duplex settings (but doesn't get any DHCP response, so there is no IP address and no Internet).
As an IT engineer, I can immediately tell that the probable reason is: their network map is wrong and my room is NOT REALLY CONNECTED TO THEIR SWITCH. It is connected to some other switch instead.
To confirm this, I asked the SONIFY employee what speed their switch supports. He informed me that it is a gigabit switch. I informed him that my laptop negotiated a 100 Mbps link (not a gigabit) - clearly, I am connected to the wrong switch!
At this point, the SONIFY employee on the phone asked us to try another room.
The hotel maintenance guy refused: no free rooms.
Then, the SONIFY employee suggested that they (SONIFY) would send their technician to the hotel and he would take a look at the connection. The hotel employees don't have access to the switches, so it would have to be a SONIFY employee.
The hotel maintenance guy refused to allow that.
I insisted and talked to his boss.
His boss refused too, but told me that their Room Division Director (Isabel Guidobono) would be available tomorrow morning and could authorize that. I was told that the reason for their refusal was: the hotel would need to pay for this.
OK, next morning (Sunday) I came to the front desk and asked for Isabel Guidobono. I was told that she was away and would only be there on Tuesday (long weekend). The shift manager (Elizabeth Middleton) insisted that the hotel cannot authorize SONIFY come and fix it (as SONIFY suggested), because the hotel "has their own IT staff". I told her that their staff already tried, and that the solution is not in their power - the maintenance people don't have access to the switches. She insisted that she had a different staff member today, who would help. OK, I talked to their new maintenance guy - who turned out to be the head of their maintenance. He immediately admitted that he is not an IT guy at all, and the hotel doesn't have IT people. We did try another room though. The Internet in that room wasn't working either - and this time the laptop negotiated a 10 Mbps link with the switch, not even 100 Mbps. Again, the link was on, but no IP address and no Internet. Multiple hotel employees also informed me that nobody really used wired Internet for at least a year - everybody used wireless only. At this point it became completely clear to me - not to them - that the wired Internet had been disconnected for the entire hotel.
I talked again to the shift manager (Elizabeth), she called Isabel Guidobono - and Isabel DID NOT authorize allowing SONIFY come and do repairs.
OK, I waited until Tuesday, May 27 (that had been three days already, long weekend), and came to the front desk to talk to Isabel herself. The sign near the front desk said that the shift manager was Isabel Guidobono today - good news! At last she was here! Or so I thought. When I asked for her - I was told that she had a day off!!! I questioned that, because the sign said, she was the shift manager. I was told that she was still on her day off, even though the sign said she was the shift manager.
I didn't try to come again next day - I can't spend all my vacation looking for this person.
I was on vacation, after all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reserve a welcoming stay at the Doubletree Resort Hollywood Beach, one of the premier Fort Lauderdale hotels. Our ideal location among Hollywood, Florida hotels situates us conveniently between luminous beachfronts and stellar Ft. Lauderdale attractions like Gulfstream Park and Miami Dolphin Stadium. Experience lodging that befits the stunning surroundings. Utilize our state-of-the-art fitness center, taste South Florida hotel cuisine at Port South Bar & Grille or sip a cool cocktail from Lava Tiki Bar & Grille. After a spectacular day of fun in the sun, retire to our richly-appointed guestrooms at one of the leading hotels in Hollywood, FL. Don t miss a gorgeous sunset from your balcony, and take advantage of amenities including complimentary high-speed Internet access, in-room safe, refrigerator, microwave and free premium cable. Plan your South Florida travel around a luxurious stay at one of the newest Florida vacation resorts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach Hotel Hollywood
- Hollywood Crowne Plaza
- DoubleTree Resort By Hilton Hollywood Beach Florida