“good surprise”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Langen, Germany
“good surprise”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

When we saw the building we were a little bit disappointed, because it seemed like a motel and a little bit dirty. The room was better, newly renovated, kitchen with fridge. Our room wasn't too clean, in our bathroom window we found a razor, and a floor was sticky. Doors and tables were dirty too so they have to clean the rooms better. Overall it was ok for one night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angiex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Stilwell, Kansas
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I chose this place because of the reviews! we were very happy! very clean and very short walk to beach and eats! could hav stay alot longer! I usually lysol everything the first thing when arriving at ANY hotel! this place was already very clean!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lexileelee
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Two spring breaks ago, we stayed in Ft. Lauderdale and spent WAY too much money. It took over twenty minutes by cab to get to the beach and all food was very expenisve. This year, we chose the Hollywood Beachside Boutique because we could walk everywhere. That is exactly what we did. We walked to the store to buy water, ice, snacks, and drinks. We walked two blocks to the beach anytime we wanted. When we were too hot on the beach, we went back to the shade of the pool or to the air conditioned room. We were able to walk a few blocks to over twenty delicious fine dining or casual restaurants. Mamasitas breakfast on the beach was under $15.00 for two people. The hotel and staff were wonderful. We chose the smallest, cheapest room and loved it. The small fridge was big enough to store drinks and leftovers. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and helped us with a late check out. Make sure to take the water taxi on the intercoastal (once) in the evening because the views are spectacular. I read many other reviews before writing this one. My advice is alwasy take several sets of earplugs on vacations. We thought the hotel was very quiet, but I always wear earplugs just in case.

Room Tip: You can be on the beach in three minutes walking comfortably.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kd19ers
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed overnight at this "hotel" when I was down in the area to catch a Marlins game. I originally got to the hotel at 11 AM and was told that "my room" wasn't ready yet. This is clearly at least a part my fault as I took an early flight, but I am so used to larger hotels having several rooms which allowed me to check in early. Given the time of day, I decided to grab some lunch and when I returned at 1, it was all set.

Admittedly, some of my issues are cosmetic, but they have an effect on you wanting to stay there because seeing them makes you think that management didn't care enough to stress the importance of professionalism/cleanliness to whomever they had do the renovations of the rooms.

When I first got into the room, it seemed alright, however I quickly started finding issues. First, the floors are completely tile through the entire room, and they were dirty so my socks and feet both were filthy in a short span. In that same issue, the grout of the tile is DISGUSTINGLY DIRTY!

The towels and soaps are left folded on the bed and with a white comforter, if you aren't paying complete attention(as I wasn't), you will totally miss them being there and look around the bathroom thinking they forgot to give you any.

The AC unit is an in-wall regular AC unit, but it is above the FULL SIZE fridge where you have to be at least 5' 10" to reach(I'm 5' 11" and barely could!) and it was filthy as well!

In the bathroom, there was a brand new sink, still with some labels on it, and a brand new wall rack with some labels on them(customer's appreciate new things, but it comes off as forgetful and unprofessional to leave labels/tags/stickers on things) Behind the sink, which was on just a pedestal not a cabinet style, you could see all the plumbing. Not a big deal, but the awful plaster job around the plumbing is unsightly and should be fixed or covered up somehow! There was paint/primer or caulking all over the trim work at the bottom of the wall...and to top it all off, NO TOILET PAPER HOLDER...ANYWHERE! How do you forget a $5 item that is about the 3rd most important thing in a bathroom?

Every TV is mounted to the wall to conserve space, but hangs at an awkward angle and if the AC is running any more than halfway, which to keep the room cool it has to be, you have to turn the volume way up to hear it because of the noise! Not to mention all the wires behind it.

On the upside, this was a great deal for a one night stay, and had a hell of a location to the beach. Even still, with the half-assed nature of the renovations and the issues with dirt, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Correll0415
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 May 2012

A friend, my wife and I stayed at the Beach Side for 4 nights to get away for a long weekend. In short, this place has tons of potential but lacked a few things. Because there was 3 of us, we booked a suite (unit number 4). Based on what we saw some of the units are configured different (i.e. some have a bar in the kitchen area and no table).
The rooms have been recently updated so overall the suite was in good shape. The kitchen was adequately equipped with a full size fridge, sink, microwave, toaster, hot pot, silverware, limited glass/cookware and a two burner stove which I couldn't get to light but we didn't actually need it so it didn't bother us. The living area and kitchen were all in one. There was a small dining table with stool chairs, a 32 in flat screen TV, coffee table, lounge chair and pull out love seat that according to our friend was adequate for a good nights sleep. Please note, you wouldn't want to try putting 2 adults on the pullout. Its not large enough.
The bath area had a full tub, and small sink. Typically small bathrooms do not bother me but this bath had no place to put your items while you were using them (i.e. razor, shaving cream, etc). A small shelf directly below the mirror would have been helpful. The largest problem with the bathroom was the tub drain. Upon arriving we quickly determined that the drain went down really really slow thus by the time you ended your shower you were standing in 8 inches of water. On the second day of our trip, we had the hotel attendant come by with some drain cleaner. I had to help with the processes but after a gallon of drain cleaner and several hot pots of boiling water I got the drain to flow well. I do understand that drains plug. My complaint revolves around that fact that the last person to clean the room had to know the drain was going down very poorly and it wasn't taken care of prior to our arrival.
The bedroom was pretty standard with a queen bed that was relatively comfortable. There were two night stands and a larger stand at the end of the room. The bedroom did have a good sized closet and there was a second large closet in the hallway. Please note, there was no dresser which may bother some. One minor annoyance in the bedroom was that fact that the door wouldn't latch and stay closed.
The property had some neat features like a small pool that was great for my wife who doesn't like swimming in the ocean. They had a nice patio area with a gas grill. This area would be a great place to put a small bar! They also offered coin op. laundry machines, free wifi, beach chairs and towels. One thing they offered but wasn't in our room was a hair dryer. My wife asked for a replacement but they didn't have any. Again, a minor annoyance but for some women this would have been a big deal. Additionally, maid service was pretty limited. They would drop off towels and pick up the trash during your stay but other than that daily maid service was pretty spotty.
Overall, the Beachside was a fine place to stay but if multiple minor annoyances bother you you may want to look elsewhere. The Beach Side has the potential to be a "step above the rest" boutique hotel with some minor, simple improvements.

Room Tip: Avoid car rental and dinning out costs. Take a taxi from the airport. Once on Hollywood beach you ca...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank NSummer
mass
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stayed here for one night, wish it could have been longer. This place is renovated, all brand new furnishings. It looks like everything is from Ikea, very modern clean and colorful. I stayed in a one bedroom suite. The living room is large with a new flat screen tv. The kitchen is just the right size, pub table and full size fridge, cook top microwave and coffee maker, dishes utensils an pots and pans. Bedroom was very nice and comfortable. Bathroom was spacious compared to most motels in the area. All floors are tile. Pool is nice, they also offer beach chairs and towels, laundry facility and bikes to use. No breakfast but there are plenty of affordable options within walking distance. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank debauc
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 May 2012

First impression -- a clean, crisp, colorful little surprise of a vacation hotel just a block from gorgeous Hollywood beach! We booked the one-bedroom suite for 5 nights and lucked up with not only a nice little hotel, but also fell in love with Hollywood, Florida. The lady at the front office was very pleasant and professional and the suite was surprisingly spacious with a separate living room, eat-in kitchen and bedroom. We chose the hotel via Expedia based on the nice photos included, but in-person it was even better. Our suite #39 was at the front of the hotel on the second floor overlooking a nice swimming pool and a view across the street of the Intracostal, a dock and a very upscale seafood restaurant. The colors and the decor of the suite were cool and inviting. The living room had a great looking sofa that's also a sofabed, a good-sized flatscreen TV and a large closet for suitcases, blankets and pillows. A thumbs up for the kitchen which had everything -- full-size fridge, cooktop, microwave, coffee-maker, toaster, pots, pans, plates, cups, glases and eating utensils. At the window in the kitchen was a small expandable table with 3 chairs. The bedroom was clean and crisp with a very soft and comfortable bed and a sizeable closet. The bathroom was also very clean with a tub-shower combo and room enough to move around comfortably and plenty of towels. Parking just outside the hotel was a reasonable $10 for the week. The pool was a good size with lawn chairs and even a cabana lounger. Another thumbs up for providing free use of beach chairs and towels. Also, washer/dryer units were conveniently located onsite. The only con was a minor thing. Since the floors throughout the suite were tiled, a quick daily sweeping from the maid service would nip the inevitable sand posits and complete the hotel's overall high marks for cleanliness.

Tips: Hollywood, Florida has nearly everything. A fantastic broadwalk that stretches forever, completely filled with indoor/outdoor dinng, bars, biking, skating, strolling, gorgeous beach, a free outdoor theater with nightly local performances, benches, playgrounds, etc. You must take the Jungle Queen boat tour of the famous canals of Ft. Lauderdale to sightsee some of the biggest homes and yachts. We even saw Steven Spielberg's gigantic yahct docked in the canal. Also, trendy South Beach and Ft. Lauderdale are both just a short drive away, as well as the historic section of downtown Hollywood. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. What a fantastic, affordable vacation for everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel - second floor have the best views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple