“Prime spot on broad walk”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Jake's On The Beach - CLOSED

Jake's On The Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Westerville, Ohio
“Prime spot on broad walk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Good food, great atmosphere. Big servings. We shared the hollywood sandwich and it was plenty. Server was friendly and attentive.

Coconut Creek, Florida
“Decent drinks, mediocre food, so-so service, deceptively forced gratuity”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

It's the kind of place where you can sit where you like. At least it was when we were there. They weren't terribly busy at the time. I think there were two people serving, though one of them was hardly seen.

Our server recommend the rum runners that were on special, so that's what we both got. They were good. Not weak, not over powering.

We also got a couple menus with our drinks, so I have to believe that he knew we were looking for something to eat as well. The menu is pretty small and none of the choices really wowed me. Anayway, we finally decided what we wanted and put our menus down. Then we watched a few other tables getting served, drinks delivered, etc., etc.. We finally pulled him over and asked if we could order. He seemed genuinely surprised that we were looking for something to eat and sincerely apologetic about not having asked us earlier. He later redeemed himself with some humor.

I got the Mahi sandwich and fries that was also on special. It wasn't terrible, but a little small and just plain bland. Even the tarter sauce, which I like to use for the fries, was tasteless. She got a Philly cheese steak wrap. It too was blasé.

The truly disappointing thing came the next day, when I finally looked at the details of our tab. An 18% gratuity added to the bill. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the menu or anywhere else that gratuity would be added automatically. I'm one of those people that believes that gratuity is just that--*extra* for service and at the discretion of the patron. I can kinda understand it being added automatically for really large parties, but it's outrageous for a party of two and bill under $40. At the time, I was thinking the bill seemed a bit high, but I was far more interested in carrying on with our day at the beach then spending time pouring over the details of our lunch bill. Despite the poor food and the initially questionable service, I left a fairly decent tip *on top of the already included 18% that I didn't know about*, so they wound up getting somewhere close to an overall tip of around 45%!!!

I won't ever be heading back.

1 Thank JiCiT
Ottawa, Canada
“Good food, Great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We only ate at two restaurants on the broadwalk during our week stay and this was my favourite. We ate here on our last trip and it was just as good then. The bartender and server were very friendly and funny, our blackend mahi and fish & chips were good, great nachos and wonderful location. Music wasn't too loud like some of the other restaurants and other nights they have live music. Can't argue with the ocean view spot!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Great One Man Band”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We just had beer and chips here. The service was great and the one man band that played Valentine's night was excellent.

Visited February 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not worth it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Bartenders were awesome....food was good...beer selection was good....and then my boyfriend and I, on our tab with one order of fish tacos and 2 beers total, got slapped with a standard 18% gratuity....This really left a bad impression on us. Without adding it, they would have easily gotten 20%, but to put that on such a small bill for 2 people seemed deceiving.

Visited February 2014