“GREAT LOCATION AND GREAT VIEW”
Review of Hotel Sheldon

Hotel Sheldon
Ranked #24 of 73 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 3 May 2012

If you are not expecting a 4 or 5 star hotel and are not picky about the details of the hotel you will be happy here. I give the hotel 1 star for location, 1 star for the view and 1 star for free parking. The hotel has a way to go before it will have it all together and it looks like that will be at least a year from now (talking to the hotel staff). We stayed in one of the two rooms that has a balcony and faces the ocean, great room and has been 95% refurbished, they just didn't do the finishing touches. The good thing, bad thing about this room is the balcony (shared with the room next door), good because you can go out on the balcony and look up and down the broadwalk..... Bad because when we checked in to our room the room that shares the balcony with us was empty but on our last day someone checked and they smoked on the balcony so we couldn't even leave the balcony door open without having smoke coming into our room (we are nonsmokers)..
We had problems with the AC unit it would not cycle on and off so you were either cold or warm and the only way we could deal with the problem was to unplug the AC, we did not tell the hotel staff about the problem, so it was our problem to deal with...

The thing that I find intersting is that the hotel management does not respond to any of the comments made by their guest, don't they care about what guest have to say ????

Room Tip: The two rooms with the shared balcony are great as long as no one is smoking.....
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CAPTRON83

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I live in Boca Raton, FL & I booked this hotel last minute because I was going to Ultra Music Festival in Miami & needed a place to lay my head after a crazy day & night of partying. Everything in Miami was already booked so I figured anything on the beach would be perfect, even if I have to drive a bit out of the way. When I got to the hotel I couldn't even find the entrance because the lobby is being completely renovated. This made me a bit nervous. However, when the friendly staff members upgraded me to a balcony room (the Humphrey Bogart room) I felt better. When we went upstairs, the hallways looked like crap (I got nervous again) & the door wouldn't open even with jiggling the key. Finally, however, when the door opened, the room was beautifully newly renovated with a giant king size bed & the most amazing view! Apparently there's only 2 rooms with a balcony ocean view & they gave me one :) I barely stayed in the room because my friends and I partied all night (didn't get back till 8am & check out was at 11am) but I was pleasantly surprised with the total outcome of the room & staff.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the Hotel Sheldon in Hollywood, Florida. Needless to say, the stay was more than disappointing. I had done some internet research on this hotel and made reservations two months in advance and reserved (and paid for) a roll away bed for our Family of 5. When we arrive late in the evening, there were not any roll away beds available...not a great start to our vacation. Attention to detail is more than lacking. There was not a doorknob to the closet. The closet door would come open and sometimes make it difficult to get into the room. It also looked as if my 9 year old performed the trim painting which leads to the current construction. I had read in one of the internet reviews that the renovation was scheduled to be done by 4/2/12. Do not believe it. I would be surprised that it will be completed this year. Do yourself a favor and spend an extra $60 and stay at a chain establishment.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were back for another visit with friends the night before a cruise. We love this hotel because of the location on the beach and the amenities there, the staff is nice and so accomodating and let you use their chairs and towels for beach. Since last year the elevator is finished and rooms have a fresh simple color scheme making them seem so much more modern and contemporary. We will be back again!!!!

Room Tip: Pay the little extra so you have partial or full oceanview, the beach is so pretty in hollywood and...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jewelermagan
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel is being renovated and is still under some minor construction. Its right on the broadwalk on Hollywood Beach. They have ocean front rooms and two rooms with balconies that are awesome! Its clean, the staff was friendly, and while the main lobby is under construction and it didn't look great, it did not bother us at all! Good price and we had a great time. It was close to lots of restaurants and bars. We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room, or one of the rooms with a balcony, totally worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katandliz
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had a great time at the Sheldon, The staff was great and the location cannot be better. We plan on coming back next year and would like to bring the kids. It was a very clean hotel considering the renovation. Your staff did a great job.
Oh and one other thing for your guests if they ask. We did a lot of traveling and eating pretty much at all the locations around the Hotel and these were the best deals!

The Florida Limo was 13.00 bucks per/person from the airport to the hotel, but the cab ride was 15.00 for as many as you can get in the cab. Cab was cheaper and make sure the driver takes the A1A to Michigan Street.

The best Oysters and Crab legs as well as all around food was at Capone Flickr’s. The Staff was very friendly and the prices were very reasonable. Ask for Jimmy the bartender! And its within staggering distance from the hotel! Ha!!

The best Lobster was at Nick’s the rest of the food was ok.

Take the Trolley to downtown Hollywood, it’s only a $1.00 and the bus is 1.75 and makes to many stops. The Trolley is great.

Another good mode of transportation is the Water Taxi to fort Lauderdale. 20.00 for all day from 10.00 am to 10.00 pm, and you can stop at the bars along the canal. That was great and cheap.

The best souvenirs shop is Wings by far. We went to other places and the same product was sometimes double the price!

Oh and make sure you tell everyone that you have free beach chairs, Towers and umbrella’s as well as the parking! That was great.

Thank you again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scott C
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel is right on the beach! so great location and walking distance to everything you need! Our room seemed pretty clean, but outside the room was a different story. The bad..... Its under construction. Not just a little construction, but MAJOR construction!!! Walls down, no lobby, no sitting area, no vending, no ice, very creepy walking around a hotel that looks like something from a horror movie..~loud hammering and drilling early in the morning. Very few ammenities, no pool, no hot tub, no hairdryers, would not give us extra towels, we were told only one towel permitted per guest...seriously! We only stayed 2 nights, so I guess it was fine. Any longer than that and I probrobly would have went to a different hotel.
You get what you pay for......

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends