“One star in accomindation, five star in fun!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rooftop Resort

Rooftop Resort
Davidson, North Carolina
“One star in accomindation, five star in fun!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had not been to the Rooftop in a couple of years and remembered it as a dirty, rundown hotel from the 50s that had seen much better days. It is still an old hotel from the 50s, but many improvements had been made to the rooms since our earlier visits. The other reviews we have read here were correct on our earleir visits, but not this time. It is an OLD place and they can do a lot better, but the imrovements they have made were impressive and the staff was very helpful and friendly. It ain't no Hilton, but you can't usually see naked ladies by the pool at a Hilton. There is no resturant at the hotel there are several good ones within walking distance and the beach is one block away, (clothing required) It's not fancy folks, but it is fun!

Room Tip: Go late week befor the weekend arrives or make reservations well ahead of time for the room you desi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sjsharkey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

$160+ night. As another said, just walk across the floor and step in the tub. You'll be amazed at all the black dirt coming off your feet. Waiting a long time at bar just to get a beer top popped. When I saw an opener and picked it up I finally got attention as the bar girl grabbed it out of my hand and told me to wait until she was done. Asked if we could print our boarding passes. NO! Know a place? "Yeah, should be someplace near the interstate 95..." - Maybe in NJ???

In fairness, a lot of the staff are very friendly and apologetic for management. Not their fault policy is They DON'T make the beds, and changing the towels/emptying garbage is the only room service. (No cleaning at all!) Paid extra for kitchenette. NO utensils, received a few plastic forks after we asked.

Room Tip: Don't plan to sleep before 3am on friday or saturday. All rooms face the inside courtyard/disco...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Antonio W
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Last time we were there the pool was so cloudy you couldn't even see bottom. I asked why and was told that they had a lot of people the day before... You know that is bull. I use to be in the pool business. I know what keeps a pool healthy. They are just dirty. They seem that they just don't give a dam. Pay your fees and come in . if you don't like what they offer then leave..That's their mentality .
My wife like to go relax in the nude and play a bit, which is excepted there..you can watch and be watched ..whatever you like goes. The real fault they have is this, They allow single guys there and they'll think nothing about coming and pull up a chair in front of you and start to stroke. I almost knocked the guy out. I was in the pool with my wife and another guy standing on the stairs started to do the same thing..Discussing ..
The hotel clerk doesn't give a dam and he never smiles, will never answer an email. Just about talks to you when you enter. The black guy who cooks the burgers and dogs, is just miserable..Not to mention that if there is 30 people there, for some unknown reason he'll only put about 8 dogs on the grill and 10 burgers...by the time he starts cooking which is past lunch time and the first batch is done, then there isn't enough for all.. So you have to wait til he puts another batch on the grill. If you want seconds, you better be prepared to wait. It's a very small home type grill, and it's doesn't cook fast by no means.
This is a BYOB's place. I took my own wine and they didn't have an opener..I had to leave and go buy one. Sheeeesh.
This could be a real gold mine if someone took interest..They would first have to listen to the peoples complaints, Clean the rooms, Clean the pool, Clean the entire Place. If you sit by the pool and talk to many couples they will tell you the same thing. The single guys are discussing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank friendlycouple346
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights , asked for a upgraded room, was told they all are, lie. this resort could be great if it was managed. fun to go to , just not to stay the night, My room was filthy dirty, floor turned my feet black, you could see that piles of durt and dust under all furnature, a used condom under the edge of the bed, need I say more, Just plan lazy housekeeping, one guy at the front desk was very nice the other theats you like dirt. The owner is not on site, probally would not matter. Dought the owner or management ever read these reviews. Scrub the place and get some people that are friendly.

Room Tip: wish I could
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank tom r
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at Rooftop Resort for four nights over a weekend in mid March. We weren't sure whether or not to book there in the first place because of some of the older sketchy reviews that we found. But a couple of newer reviews mentioned that it was under new ownership and we happened to meet a couple of people that had been there and said it might be worth visiting.

We were looking for a sexy place to stay for a few nights at the end of a two week vacation in Florida... maybe a place a bit along the lines of Hedo. The original plan was to stay there and visit Trapeze Club in Lauderdale one night and do some naked sunbathing at Haulover Beach during the daytimes. Turns out, we liked it enough that we never made it to either Trapeze or Haulover.

Rooftop is ideally located right on Ocean Blvd in the centre of Hollywood. It is an easy one minute walk from the beach and the fantastic broadwalk that runs for about two miles along the beachfront. The broadwalk is lined with shops and restaurants and Ocean Blvd is the address of many other restaurants within easy walking distance. There's lots of people-watching to be had on the broadwalk as it is filled with walkers, joggers, and bikers during the day and diners and sightseers at night.

The hotel itself is very nondescript from the outside, in fact, it doesn't even look like a hotel and could easily be mistaken for an old office building. It is constructed in the old Spanish style of a completely enclosed courtyard with four stories of rooms (I think about 28 in total) on the perimeter. On the rooftop there is a swimming pool, BYOB bar, and about 40 or so chaise lounge chairs. The rooftop area is all nude and nudity is permitted in the whole hotel. The bottom floor in the courtyard serves as a dance floor and party area. But just to be clear... this is a swingers/lifestyle hotel so if you're not into that this place might shock you. The dance floor is for the swingers parties that happen on Friday and Saturday night. (These are free for hotel guests to attend but they also draw an outside crowd.) The pool area on the roof could probably be equated to the hedo pool area. Saturday and Sunday afternoons are full and busy with a pretty good party atmosphere. While signage says that sexual activity is restricted to the playrooms that are located adjacent to the dance floor, the pool area has plenty of PDA's happening during the daytime. Friday afternoon was pretty busy on the rooftop but I think that the rest of the weekdays are likely pretty quiet.

Everything, day and night, is BYOB but they throw in free mixes and ice and provide bartenders on weekends that work for tips. It's a great deal if you are staying at the hotel. Also included was a basic continental breakfast and free parking for hotel guests. All that adds up to some pretty good value compared to other hotels in the area.

The staff are all great, friendly, attentive, and helpful. The other thing that we liked a lot were the guests. It's a bit like Hedo in that respect... people are going there to party and meet other people so the guests are generally friendly, outgoing, and easy to strike up a conversation with.

If you are a germaphobe this may not be the place for you. And that's really the only downside we saw to the place. The rooftop itself is clean and in tidy shape and the pool is sparkling clean but some of the rest of the hotel just needs to have another staff member to do janitorial duties. Some daily mopping and sweeping would go along ways. We had a studio room so it had a microwave, fridge, and dishes in it. These could have been kept a bit cleaner as well. We didn't use them, and I could see why others might not.

The rooms themselves are large... our studio was about double the size of a room at Hedo and had two queen beds with a sitting area and a kitchen area. We thought it was great value for what we paid -- especially considering the location and all the bonus stuff of being a lifestyler's hotel. The rooms are probably about the age of Hedo's and seem to function about the same... a few small things don't work but they can be overlooked if you're not too fussy like us. For example, in our room the shower diverter didn't work, the bathroom window was tricky to open and the sink didn't drain well. But they weren't make or break it things for us.

Overall we had a good time there and thought it was quite good value. In fact, like I said, we were having such a good time we didn't make it to any other clubs or even Haulover while we were there. We're swinger nudists, not naturalist nudists, so this was much more up our alley than a nude beach. We probably wouldn't stay for two weeks at a time but would definitely return for a long weekend party of three or four nights. If you are Hedo fan, you'd probably like it at Rooftop. If you're fussy about accommodations you might not like it so much.

Room Tip: A room on the 5th floor is closer to the rooftop and farther from the party music on weekend nights.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank d b
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We were there for the weekend after Thanksgiving, it was a little slow and we had rain both Saturday and Sunday. But that didn't stop the fun and the parties, everything moved indoors under the awning. The staff was especially nice and helpful. It's an older hotel and the accommodations are basic, but adequate, the water was hot and the place was clean. We will definitely go again.

Room Tip: Parties on weekends go on until 1-2am, plan to stay up late and enjoy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mdwpilot
Raleigh NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I travel on business often, frugally when able, so while I consider price first, location and amenities usually can be equally as important. If the lodging is near my intended purpose, I can save on gas or even a rental by catching a cab; if there is a gym (with minimally dumbbells for strength training) and a heated pool, entertainment is free; and if the is a refrigerator in the room, I can save on eats. So on my recent trip to Miami, where I also had business in Pompano Beach, Hollywood seemed to be the right midway locale.

Searching, I came upon arguably the best choice for my criteria: economical with fridge, microwave, stove and heated saltwater poolThe hotel was the Rooftop Resort, advertised as "nudist" catering to "swingers. Definitely not a swinger and Catholic-Shy of public nudity (although I had the opportunity to feel uncomfortable with my wife at Black's Beach in San Diego), I admit trepidation when I made the reservation (by phone - their website is lacking) but figured it a YOLO experience and with the price/location, reasoned that I would not actually be at the hotel long enough to feel too uneasy.

I arrived Sunday afternoon and check-in was pleasant and uneventful. Robert (?) was efficient, affable, helpful, explained their policies (nudity not required; key to outer door provided for re entry after 6pm after the office closed; free breakfast, wireless, etc.) and apparently, either he or someone else had upgraded my room. It was a corner on the fifth floor (#535) and while a bit dated (think Dexter's apartment) was perfect and well-appointed.

After I unpacked, I assessed my surroundings. Unless you are into it, on first passing, the second floor looked ominous. Red and black decor, dancer pole, a room with swings (not the kiddie type lol) and another with a big round bed (not for sleeping) and "observation" seating. The 6 story hotel is set-up where it is open - no roof - from the 2nd to the roof where is the pool and sunning. Save for the conspicuous picture windows with drapes drawn on all floors and the second floor in its entirety, the hotel was "normal."

So vowing to stay away from the 2nd floor, I unpacked and went up to the pool in my Speedo. Wow - was I over dressed! Being a Sunday where they offer free BBQ and day passes, it was busy with people of all shapes, sizes, ages and colors. Beautiful people they were not - as neither am I. I admit that I felt self-conscious on disrobing but would have felt worse had I not and after seeing everyone else in their glory, fit in with the top 10%. Obesity is endemic throughout the US but these people did not care. I had often commented to my wife on observation that larger people probably should not wear stretch pants. This confirmed my assertion. However, they were comfortable in their skin so judging would be inappropriate.

I picked the lounger farthest from the crowd which was ripped (they need to replace these) and was able to clandestinely observe through my Ray-Bans the goings on. Essentially, this was in no way a bacchanalian feast but simply a bunch of locals that were mainly normal people that wanted to sunbathe nude. While some were clearly and simply nudists, which in retrospect now with experience, was actually okay - it just seemed the right thing to do at the time - there were some who strutted like they were all of that: a few women in (uncommonly gold colored) uncomfortable stilettos and a few guys with manscaping that should just be outlawed. In general though, overweight older people - average age of sixty (? - I am guessing). The newcomers were those with the tan lines.

So I laid out for a few hours, ate some BBQ (burgers were good), swam a bit a struck up conversations in the pool with people that were just in general friendly - not sleazy, obnoxious or for the most part, self-centered. It was not uncomfortable.

After the pool, I had dinner with a business associate and when I returned, the hotel for the most part was empty. The was some mulling about on the 2nd floor that I could observe from my room but nothing of note - no swinging, innocuous sex or activity for that matter. I drew my curtains (as apparently did anyone else that was staying there) and went to bed.

Up at 6, swim in an empty pool, free breakfast (simple:breads, cheese, cereal, fruit, milk, Juice, coffee) and then meetings all day, I returned at 8pm to an empty hotel - literally. There was only one couple staying the night that I spied but they left the following morning - leaving me as the only guest in the hotel. Really.

So if you can get past the idea of a nude pool area (you could just not swim), for the price, locale, amenities and service, while not a 5-star, comparable and with the wireless and printers, definitely business friendly.

It's definitely not for families (I believe 21 is the age limit) or the feint at heart but I will certainly include this on the short list whenever in the area.

A few final thoughts: stay away from Joe's Tiki Bar across the street (I do not understand how you can screw up sashimi) but Pachamamma Peruvian is right around the corner and whatever you do, Think sunscreen. There are just some areas of your body that should not be exposed to direct sunlight - ouch!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business