“Unsafe area, disgusting, had to self-medicate to remain here for 3 nights”
Review of Zinn Inn

Zinn Inn
Ranked #23 of 25 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Unsafe area, disgusting, had to self-medicate to remain here for 3 nights”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I don't even want to rehash the nightmare of this place but I have to so others are forewarned. First of all, part of the hotel contained,what looked like to be, low rent self-contained apartments. Read between the lines on that one....
When we attempted to check in, the man working the front desk spoke no English or Spanish. No joke. He could not understand the words coming out of our mouth and vice versa. This tends to create a problem when working in the area of hospitality. Shortly after, we got into our car which was parked in front of the hotel and witnessed a young woman being harassed by an addict of some sort on the sidewalk.
The room we stayed in was filthy. The tub had a reusable rubber mat in it which I have never seen in a hotel because most hotels know they are a breeding ground for fungus, mold and bacteria! The wood trim in the bathroom was being eaten away by termites. You could barely walk around in the room because they had shoved unused furniture in every inch of the room, like it was a storage room. We were given only 2 towels for a room with 2 double beds. Floors were extremely dirty and the garbage bin was dirty with what looked like fecal matter smeared on the outside of it.
The door would not lock properly when we would go but the housekeeper was kind enough to notice our struggle at locking the door and showed us the trick to locking our door when we go out, yes I'm serious. The windows were venetian style (not venetian blinds, venetian windows!) so they offered absolutely NO sound proofing from the outside. I woke up to a man psychotically laughing outside my window in the middle of the night (scared the crap out of me) and police sirens going off close to every hour throughout the night. Due to the lack of proper windows, we also suffered from cigarette smoke and BBQ odors from the courtyard leaking through into the room.
We didn't even attempt the "heated" pool as the temperature was the same as the ocean, therefore, not heated. The ice machine was a serious health code violation. I could only imagine what they would find if it was swabbed by public heath authorities. E-coli, salmonella, flesh-eating disease...who knows.
This place needs a massive renovation and new ownership/manager and should be severely fined by public health.
The only positive that I enjoyed were the two hotel cats. They were lovely little guys.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Millie16_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

If you're looking for a great affordable place for a quick getaway, this is the place. Nice rooms and a great deal! I recommend it if you are looking to relax and hit the beach. Great service and clean rooms. Looking forward to coming here again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Dee2325
Mount Hope, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We are not picky people when it comes to hotel accommodations, we've stayed at 3 star hotels in the Caribbean. I thought this place would be OK, considering we were only going to stay over night a maximum 8 hours but it was absolutely terrible in every sense of the word. We were a party of 6 and booked 1 room with 2 beds and a sofa bed. When we arrived, the hotel clerk could not find our reservation. I had to show him my confirmation sheet and then from that, he was able to locate it. When we all started to walk to the room, he realized there was 6 of us. He told us it was a room for 4. I said I booked a room for 6 and he kept insisting it only had 2 beds. I asked about the sofa bed and he said he didn't know if there was one in there and for me to go and look??? Right then and there I was ready to walk out but considering it was after midnight and we really didn't have any other options, I bit my tongue and we stayed. I went ahead of everyone with my sister in law to check out the room and we found that there was a sofa bed however there were no sheets or pillows to go with it, this was rectified fairly quickly but we had to go and get the sheet and pillows ourselves. The room was suppose to be an updated/renovated room - it was far from that. We all felt like we had the creepy crawlies while lying in bed trying to sleep...it was horrible. Morning came and my husband and I got up before everyone else and walked down to the "lobby" if that's what we want to call it. The same hotel clerk was there folding bed sheets - the sheets were touching the floor. One can only imagine how clean those sheets will be once they are fitted on beds. My husband noticed there was no coffee on so he asked if coffee could be made. The hotel clerk answered, "I'm too busy right now to make coffee". Wow!!! I was in shock but not really considering the whole experience up until that point. After a few more guests asked for coffee, the clerk finally made some. Anyway, to sum this all up, i implore you, think twice before you book this hotel, I definitely will not in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Secretary2013
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

This place was so horribly bad that we couldn't even stay... Room was disgustingly dirty - rat excrement on the floor, drug paraphernalia in the sink, burn holes in the dirty bedding...looked like a drug deal was going down as we were running out of the place. Do not stay here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jblack1373
Ellicott City
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Sucked.in every way. Charged full price after midnight.no amenities. Hasn't been updated in 30 years.dirty.old people keeping this poor dog in business. Was nice 40 yrs ago I guess stay only if every hotel for miles is full

• Stayed February 2014
Hunedoara, Romania
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We hosted this hotel for 2 nights and we found it very comfortable and nice. Since the hotel has been recently renovated our room was very clean.
It is located near restaurants and shopping areas. To get to the beach you need like 10 minutes.

We like it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The dirtiest place I have Ever stayed in. No soap! No toilet paper! Floors filthy I'm sure the bedding had been slept on by someone else. Completely disgusting.I travel almost every weekend and never stayed at such a dump. Restaurants that were close were amazing. This place should be torn down.

• Stayed February 2014