“You DON'T get what you pay for...”
Review of Zinn Inn

Zinn Inn
Ranked #23 of 25 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I don't even know where to begin... I'll start with the room rate. For a dive like this, no more than $39.95 should be paid. I mean that. I hate to post a bad review but sometimes you have to keep it real in life. This place really sucked. The room was filthy and the entire property was just really run down looking. I thought I go a bit cheaper on this trip to Fort Lauderdale and I guess you get what you pay for. But in this case, you do not. Even for the cheaper price, I feel as though I was robbed. The air conditioner's face was on the floor when I entered the room and the nice clump of hair in the shower was another frightful sight. Blood stain on a towel was almost unbearable but I did have two in the room so opted for the other obviously... This inn is also in a questionable part of Hollywood and probably a good 20 minute drive to the main beach. Thank God I had enough sense to pick up a rental car at the airport. I only slept at this place and spent my days elsewhere. If you're going to do that then fine, but if not, please stay somewhere else. Two pluses though, their attempt at "remodelling" was a fairly nice upholstery job on the lounger and sitting chair and I didn't see one single insect... Kudos for that. The cleaning lady and spanish front desk clerk were both delightful. Sometimes you can put up with the other crap as long as they treat you kindly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chaz S

Reviewed 2 April 2014

…Just unacceptable!. Customers beware. Do not spend your money or time at the Zinn Inn. The website photos were deceiving. The actual room we paid for was nothing like what they advertised. Bad customer service from beginning to end! Check in was delayed because the room was not ready due to being understaffed. No apologies, discounts or refunds were offered. The room was egregious, filthy and not functional. There were broken windows and hadn’t been cleaned in a long time. Half of the room did not have power which is not surprising since all plugs were being routed to ONE outlet. A DANGEROUS FIRE HAZARD!! There was only an old small air conditioning unit struggling just to maintain the room warm vs. hot. Bath towels were as thin as the toilet paper. No Closet doors. The Décor was antiquated and I was afraid to sit on the bedspread. After a few moments our EXIT was not a question and swift. For this customer a valuable lesson has been learned. Follow the reviews. You have much better options for a comparable price. Stay Away!!

Room Tip: Choose the Holiday Inn Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood instead. Great Place!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert R
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

How would you like to stay in a place with no smoke detector? The old one was freshly ripped out of the wall for all of your inhaling pleasure! You won't be disturbed by any callers, as the phone doesn't work. Thus, you will be cut off from the outside world completely (including those working at the front desk)! So cut off that the tv won't even turn on because the last curtious guests pulled the power button out. There is even a nice, cold pool for you to freshen up! You'll need it - this classy inn would never allow the shower to act as a water dispenser. But don't worry, the staff is very understanding about certain things. For example, if you happen to wet the bed at night, it's no big deal. They'll just let it be, as if nothing happened, for the pleasure of the next resident. Care for a nice sauna? Perfect! You're suite will doubly serve as one, because the air conditioning will not be turned on whenever you first arrive! Also, a complementary, slightly used cigar will be located under your television! And who knows what else you might find?? All this for only $99 plus tax! What a steal!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank krisma1
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I don't even want to rehash the nightmare of this place but I have to so others are forewarned. First of all, part of the hotel contained,what looked like to be, low rent self-contained apartments. Read between the lines on that one....
When we attempted to check in, the man working the front desk spoke no English or Spanish. No joke. He could not understand the words coming out of our mouth and vice versa. This tends to create a problem when working in the area of hospitality. Shortly after, we got into our car which was parked in front of the hotel and witnessed a young woman being harassed by an addict of some sort on the sidewalk.
The room we stayed in was filthy. The tub had a reusable rubber mat in it which I have never seen in a hotel because most hotels know they are a breeding ground for fungus, mold and bacteria! The wood trim in the bathroom was being eaten away by termites. You could barely walk around in the room because they had shoved unused furniture in every inch of the room, like it was a storage room. We were given only 2 towels for a room with 2 double beds. Floors were extremely dirty and the garbage bin was dirty with what looked like fecal matter smeared on the outside of it.
The door would not lock properly when we would go but the housekeeper was kind enough to notice our struggle at locking the door and showed us the trick to locking our door when we go out, yes I'm serious. The windows were venetian style (not venetian blinds, venetian windows!) so they offered absolutely NO sound proofing from the outside. I woke up to a man psychotically laughing outside my window in the middle of the night (scared the crap out of me) and police sirens going off close to every hour throughout the night. Due to the lack of proper windows, we also suffered from cigarette smoke and BBQ odors from the courtyard leaking through into the room.
We didn't even attempt the "heated" pool as the temperature was the same as the ocean, therefore, not heated. The ice machine was a serious health code violation. I could only imagine what they would find if it was swabbed by public heath authorities. E-coli, salmonella, flesh-eating disease...who knows.
This place needs a massive renovation and new ownership/manager and should be severely fined by public health.
The only positive that I enjoyed were the two hotel cats. They were lovely little guys.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Millie16_12
Reviewed 16 March 2014

If you're looking for a great affordable place for a quick getaway, this is the place. Nice rooms and a great deal! I recommend it if you are looking to relax and hit the beach. Great service and clean rooms. Looking forward to coming here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Dee2325
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We are not picky people when it comes to hotel accommodations, we've stayed at 3 star hotels in the Caribbean. I thought this place would be OK, considering we were only going to stay over night a maximum 8 hours but it was absolutely terrible in every sense of the word. We were a party of 6 and booked 1 room with 2 beds and a sofa bed. When we arrived, the hotel clerk could not find our reservation. I had to show him my confirmation sheet and then from that, he was able to locate it. When we all started to walk to the room, he realized there was 6 of us. He told us it was a room for 4. I said I booked a room for 6 and he kept insisting it only had 2 beds. I asked about the sofa bed and he said he didn't know if there was one in there and for me to go and look??? Right then and there I was ready to walk out but considering it was after midnight and we really didn't have any other options, I bit my tongue and we stayed. I went ahead of everyone with my sister in law to check out the room and we found that there was a sofa bed however there were no sheets or pillows to go with it, this was rectified fairly quickly but we had to go and get the sheet and pillows ourselves. The room was suppose to be an updated/renovated room - it was far from that. We all felt like we had the creepy crawlies while lying in bed trying to sleep...it was horrible. Morning came and my husband and I got up before everyone else and walked down to the "lobby" if that's what we want to call it. The same hotel clerk was there folding bed sheets - the sheets were touching the floor. One can only imagine how clean those sheets will be once they are fitted on beds. My husband noticed there was no coffee on so he asked if coffee could be made. The hotel clerk answered, "I'm too busy right now to make coffee". Wow!!! I was in shock but not really considering the whole experience up until that point. After a few more guests asked for coffee, the clerk finally made some. Anyway, to sum this all up, i implore you, think twice before you book this hotel, I definitely will not in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Secretary2013
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This place was so horribly bad that we couldn't even stay... Room was disgustingly dirty - rat excrement on the floor, drug paraphernalia in the sink, burn holes in the dirty bedding...looked like a drug deal was going down as we were running out of the place. Do not stay here.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends