“Quaint little suites very close to the beach”

Villa Sinclair Beach Suites & Spa
Reviewed 29 March 2008

This little hotel is all suites, each with it's own kitchen. The grounds are meticulously taken care of with plenty of greenery and privacy. There is a clean hot tub with lots of comfortable outside furniture. It is very quiet and comfortable. The hosts are very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank kscAnchorage

Reviewed 13 November 2007

Most of the other posted reviews accurately hit the major points, both high and low.

The stuff for sale all over the apartment is really too much. It's as if Hughes can't decide whether he's running a store in which people can sleep, or a hotel.

While a few things for sale might be viewed as a convenience, (a) the prices are high and (b) there are plenty of real stores around in which one can purchase what one needs.

What bothered me more than the fact that way too much counter space and storage space was taken up with the chazerei that's for sale are the constant reminders that the stuff is for sale, and the price lists. When I'm on vacation, I want to relax, not constantly be bombarded with "buy me, buy me" messages.

Even worse, however, was the nickel-and-diming final bill I received after I left. I was charged $15 for telecommunications (or similar) even though I never used the phone or the fax. It seems that when I logged on to the wireless internet, which the hotel advertises as "free," I made the mistake of logging on to the hotel's wireless network instead of the city's wireless network. Only the latter is free.

Also, I was charged a small fee for the use of the linen on which my children slept (on the futon-type bed in the living room). While "kids stay free," that apparently would only be if they bring there own sheets.

When I protested these charges -- I hate being nickeled-and-dimed -- I got nowhere. It appears that Huges would rather be $25 or so to the good than keep a customer happy. I really dislike that kind of arrogance.

Would I stay there again? Probably not, unless I needed to stay at Hollywood Beach and could not find any other accommodation.

It's unfortunate. Hughes did a nice job of rennovating what was an old house that had deteriorated into low-end apartments. The place is cute, convenient, and comfortable. It only he would now renovate his attitude and realize that the customer is (almost) always right, and that there is no need to nickel-and-dime people.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank psptraveler
Reviewed 25 March 2007

We loved the location, just a couple of steps from the beach, and we might go back when we return to Hollywood. There were, however, a lot of problems.

The apartment was FULL of things for sale. The refrigerator was so full of wine and soft drinks that there was barely room for our food. There were constant reminders about what we could buy and what we should pay, even a one page instruction on how much to tip the maid.

The kitchen was unusable, so we ate all our meals out. The counter space was too small and was completely used up by the microwave and coffee maker.

The bathtub faucets were so complicated that after eight days I could still not predict what would happen when I turned the right or left faucet.

The wireless internet did not work inside the apartment, but there was an ethernet connection in the corner of the bedroom. Mostly I did my computer stuff outside after dark; the seating was closer to the wireless router. It was pleasant enough and I had the courtyard to myself, sharing it only with a neighbour's cat (who was not about to give me his lawn chair).

All that said, the place could be fun. There is an open pit where you can burn a firelog ($5.00), an outdoor grill, a sauna and hot tub, bicycles for rent ($60.00 per week), and several places to sit.

The beach and boardwalk are less than a block away. If you are sunning on the beach, it is quite easy to come back to use the bathroom.

There are some good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, including Chez Andree, where the food is fabulous and a wonderful pizza place whose name I can't remember.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank datacat
Reviewed 7 January 2007

I've been going to the Villa Sinclair regularly for work. It's a cute and unique hotel that has some up's and downs, but I keep coming back, and I'm kind of picky.

The good things:
- Nice pineapple when you arrive.
- You get free bottles of wine.
- Very quaint (no front desk or lobby).
- Close to the beach (150 feet to water).
- Close to many restaurants (Opa is cool).
- Very private and quiet.

The funny things:
- It's been mentioned before, but there's some cheezy stuff like 'disco lights'.
- I *like* the red satin sheets. Why not?
- No lobby -sometimes you have to wait to get help.

The not so good:
- Noisy air conditioners.
- Weird controls in the shower.
- Toilets run a little.
- Poor internet connectivity.

I like it because it's close to work, close to water, and a very relaxing place to stay. It's pretty affordable, and the people are good. It's not the cleanest place, but it's fine. The patio is great. The hot tub has always been very clean.

If I could change just two things: better Internet connectivity and quieter air conditioners.

The owners are good folks

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank paulsop
Reviewed 1 October 2006

Coming several times a year for conventions, I used to stay at The Westin Diplomat which offers great amenities & 5 stars service, The Satin restaurant & Nikki Marina are great places to eat & hang out but you could be anywhere else in the world you will not feel the difference & if you don't have a rental car you will be stock in a forest of high rises around . During my 4th stay in Hollywood I selected Villa Sinclair Beach Suites & SPA just 1.2 miles North of the Diplomat Convention center, & on every level it was better. First, Villa Sinclair is just by the new Renovated 2,6 miles broadwalk, so you have access to 60 restaurants, bars & shops directly on the beach within walking distance!!! The beach is nicer & larger & for $179/night, Villa Sinclair offers spacious 1 bedroom beach suites apartment with full kitchen, full bath, very well appointed & extremely clean & comfortable. Villa Sinclair has also a unique Spanish mediterranean character you will not find in any high rise hotel. Amenities were suprisingly great with a huge private tropical lounge shared with only 5 others couples. The patio included 6 private areas, with Sauna, Hot Tub, hammocks, fire places, outside bed, sun deck, outside multi jet shower, massage gazebos, barbecue & even bicycles rental onsite. every day after work, I splurged myself with a full body massage by Stephanie for an affordable $65.00/hour & 30 minutes of Hot tub. The best was all the goodies & freebies included in your stay. A welcome fresh Pineapple was unique touch, complimentary chocolates on the bed, Free sun cream lotion, free beach chairs & beach towels, complimentary parking, & coffee tea in the morning, 300 free latest DVD movies to choose from, Free fast access Internet & unlimited local & Long distance calls in the US.... Villa Sinclair also offers Beach cruiser bicycles rental on site so I even went twice to the Westin Convention center with the bicycle, it was an easy 1.2 miles 5 minutes ride. At the end, I really enjoyed more this charming little Villa which was better than any big hotels..... Also big +++, at Villa Sinclair you can enjoy great Sunsets on the beach & full breakfast at Cafe Safari for only $5.00/person & gorgeous sunrises on the beach, the sun on the beach until 7pm & fabulous sunsets on the bay at Giorgio Grill just steps away. So if you are looking for accommodation worth 5 stars Hotel but not with the price tag, Villa Sinclair is the place, and their hosts will make sure you feel special. for 3 days stay you could even take a vacation from your car & just use the beach bicycles available @ Villa Sinclair.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
10  Thank Myasky
Reviewed 16 July 2006

I stayed here alone, am originally from the area and family's home was full so...maybe it would be better for a couple, but be prepared, the place is very run down, not near as nice as the pictures, cleanliness was okay and there was ALOT of construction all over the neighborhood, including the villa, repairing last year's hurricane damage. You are steps from the beach but do not face the ocean. My toilet didn't work upon arriving but was fixed promptly. A bonus was free sunscreen.

5  Thank Where2nowB
Reviewed 15 July 2006

Well we stayed in the #4 Renoir Suite...which is a 2 bedroom w/ living room and kitchen. This place was wonderful and really is great DEAL. There were 3 of us in our party (all around 30 yrs. old) and we wanted a quick get-away from our Dallas lives. We picked the Villa-Sinclair based off the pictures and after speaking w/ Hughes. The pictures are VERY ACCURATE! I would call this place a boutique hotel. Our suite was clean w/ fresh linens and all the perks (*and believe me I am the most critical about cleanliness, especially when it comes to hotels). Our hosts Hughes and Lydia were GREAT and not only showed us around but gave us the run-down on places to eat, the boardwalk, and nightclubs to explore. They also do wine tastings on the weekends and you can meet the other guests at this time. The hotel is quiet and we loved the TVs and DVD players in ALL the rooms! We enjoyed the hot tub!

The hotel is not on the beach however you can see it just outside the front door of the hotel and is about a couple of hundred feet away. The beach is not quite as pretty as Ft. Lauderdale beach. We heard from a snorkle trip we took that they have had restore this beach after the years of hurricanes to hit this area, however we still enyoyed it!

The hotel offers wireless internet, however we could not get it to work on our stay. They do have dial-up that works fine and is amazingly fairly fast.

Unfortunately for us it rained every day we were there, so we did end up spending more time in our room.

• Stayed: July 2006