“hollywood beach tower”

Hollywood Beach Tower
“hollywood beach tower”
Reviewed 26 October 2008

I own at this resort week 41 always sunny and warm and quiet. This resort is going thru changes with a new management called SPM Resorts and new thigs are happening all the time. Ive got the 12 floor ocean front end unit and we had a new 32 inch tv in the bedroom and the bathrooms were being done. At the meeting the management was saying next year the will paint the outside and new windows will be put in. They are planning on new furniture and making the small kitchen area over with dishwashers large stoves and refrigerators. The broadwalk has been finished as of last year and along the boradwalk changes are being made. Hollywood beach is changeing all around and donald trump is putting up a trump towers with i believe 40.nfloors. People are saying he may buy more of the oceanfront and build more maybe hollywood beach towers. He has built 3 down in sunny isles just down the beach from us. We love it there but we bought a home in florida and no longer have use for this and time for us to sell. We have gone the last 7 years and enjoyed walking the broadwalk and the palm lined blue blue ocean. Any question the the place feel frre to e-mail me.

• Liked — rooms are large people always friendly
  • Disliked — small kitchen
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ellensue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Atlanta
Reviewed 13 October 2008

ROOMS - 2 hotel rooms adjoining - one has the mini kitchen with a living area with a pull out sofa and small tv and full bath- the other is the bedroom with a large modern tv and full bath.
KITCHEN - mini - no dishwasher, but has microwave, small fridge, range. Coffeemaker has filters, one days worth of coffee. Turn the fridge colder when you get in the room. No icemaker.
CLEANLINESS - rooms, hallways, public areas were very clean.
BATH - clean, well equipped. Weak showerhead that could easily be twisted off if you wanted a good flow (hint).
BED - good king size bed - comfortable for me, wife thought it was a little soft. They have a weird rubber blanket -kinda creepy.
FURNITURE- older style, but well maintained.
WATER IN ROOM - old pipes, rusty at times -buy a gallon of water for a $1 at a supermarket for drinking, brushing teeth, etc.
TEMPERATURE CONTROLS - one in each room.
LOCATION - right on the beach with the "Broadwalk" and numerous shops, bike rentals, restaurants.
BEACH - nice, wide, clean, very few birds
FLOORS -tile in living area and baths, carpet in bedroom
SMELL - never noticed the musty smell others talked about
SPRINKLER SYSTEM IN ROOM - yes
POOL AREA - very nice, modern, clean pool, lania area, hot tub and barbecue area. Overlooks the ocean.
STAFF - friendly and helpful.
OVERVIEW - This is an old property, but don't let that stop you from going. They are doing a decent job of keeping it up and presentable.

• Liked — Value for the money - clean hotel
  • Disliked — Weird rubber blanket
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
PaulaR06
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Had pretty low expectations - but was VERY PLEASANTLY surprised at the comfortable and convienience. This is a timeshare (I think) so was mostly people that were there for more than a night... which was great since our 7 and 11 year olds were with us. - they made a real bond with a family from Michigan who comes down every year.

Not fancy - but friendly and easy for our family. We are booking a trip for the same week next year!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank PaulaR106
San Diego
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We visited the Hollywood Beach Towers from July 12th through the 19th.

We had booked the room about four months ahead of time but were told that the actual room could not be assigned until the week before our visit. I had very much wanted an ocean view so was trying to make certain we got one. I called a week ahead of time and was told that i would have to wait until the Friday before our trip to get our room assignment. I called the Friday before and was told I wouldn't be assigned until I arrived.

When I arrived we were given a room without an ocean view and told we had already been assigned the room. We were also told that only those owners who had ocean views at other timeshares would be exchanged to ocean views here.

All in all I received a lot of information that just continued to change.

In any event, I have to say that the property itself was very disappointing. The owners have taken some care to renovate the lobby area which looks nice enough. Once you go into the hallways, however, it is apparent that this place is in need of major renovations.

The hallways are painted a very tacky blue and there are mirrors everywhere. The room itself is large as they seem to have taken two "motel" like rooms and made them into one unit. There is a separate door to the bedroom and the living area.

The living area does not have any type of carpeting and seems extremely cold and uninviting with the mirrored walls, the cold white tile floor and pink or blue furnishings. There is not even an attempt to decorate or make this feel like a "home away from home".

The windows are warped, thick glass and cannot be opened. The kitchen is ok, but you won't be cooking any real meals in it. The bedroom has an old carpet and 1980's furnishings.

The biggest disappointment may have been the pull out bed. We had four people in the room and were hoping two could sleep on the pullout couch in the living area. Unfortunately, the couch probably dated to about 1985 and the mattress was so think and lumpy with warped springs that it was impossible to sleep on.

Aside from the horrible bed frame, the bed in the bedroom was adequate.

The wireless internet only worked in the lobby area, and very poorly there. Do not expect to access anything from your rooms.

We were also told that cleaning came only once a week on Wednesdays. Though the room was clean when we came in, the "house keeping" didn't do much when they came midweek. Beds are not made, sheets are not changed, the trash was not thrown out...it seemed that the only thing they did was grab some old towels and put some new ones in.

In fact, the first night there the towel rack had fallen down and housekeeping did nothing about it when they came in.

Aside from the time share, the area around is very old fashioned. Most of the hotels there seem to be in similar condition and the "Broadwalk" didn't present too many interesting options. It was generally too hot in the summer to eat outside in some of the patio restaurants available.

Really the only good thing about this place is that the ocean is very close. The beaches are pretty and offer warm water. Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are both in easy driving distance.

All in all, I would recommend that anyone who wants to stay in the area look elsewhere first.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Primetyme
Not disclosed
Reviewed 22 June 2008

We were very disappointed with the Hollywood Beach Towers. The property is very old with very few updates. The carpet was dirty and old and was down right scary. We never walked without flip flops anywhere in the unit.

There were several times when a random smell of sewage infiltrated the room. It was so strong we had to leave the room in search of fresh air. The bath towels that they give you look like they have been around for about 25 years. They indicate in the "welcome" literature that they give you that you will get fresh towels on Wed. along with a change of sheets if you request that. So, we left a note asking for the sheets to be change. When we returned that evening we had the same, original sheets still on the bed. When we inquired they said we were an "exchange" timeshare and not entitled to the "free" sheet change. I told them to change their literature then. We could have paid $35 to have them changed. Give me a break.

The first night, after a long day at the beach, I got into the shower and immediately found the drain to be clogged. I finished my shower with water up to my shins. I immediately reported the problem and was told it would be taken care of. Making a long story short, after several requests to have it fixed, it was fixed on the FIFTH day of our stay. Yes, the 5th. That is NOT customer service.

We did get an ocean view so that was one of the highlights of our stay here. There are signs on the windows that says not to open them because they are sealed. Well, looking up at the "resort" from the beach at any given time you could clearly see that the windows were not sealed. We saw at least a half dozen of windows opened, even on the higher floors. I wish I had taken a picture but I did not. So, for those of you with small children, think long and hard before booking here.

We found the staff to be just okay. Nobody really went out of their way to do anything memorable. "Mindy" was nice & very friendly and always greeted us but other than that the staff were like statues.

The temperature control in the room was difficult to maintain. There were times when we were freezing and times when we couldn't get the room to cool down. You get "high", "med", and "low" and "off". Good luck.

One final comment. On the first floor where you get off of the elevator to go to the pool, there is an overwhelming, pungent, horrible smell of mold/mildew/rot. I have no idea what the heck that was from & I am certain I do not want to know.

The Hollywood area is okay. We found several nice restaurants to eat at on Hollywood Blvd. I would not return to Hollywood Beach Tower even if you paid me to go nor would I recommend this old, unkept "resort".

• Liked — Ocean View
  • Disliked — Old, odd smells, not updated
  • Stayed June 2007
1 Thank NotdisclosedTraveler
Sanford, Maine
Reviewed 17 June 2008

We made an exchange for this time share. It was an OK experience. I cannot imagine buying into this timeshare, ever. Thre are so many beautiful places. The room was dated but I got to admit , very clean. Location - great, right on the boardwalk, was perfect!
We called ahead to get an ocean view room, but could not get one even though they were available. I sometimes timeshare exchanges and getaways give you the worst un-rentable rooms available. We got room 201 overlooking the parking garage. We are from Maine and would have enjoyed a view of the ocean. What I would have been happy to settle with opening a window but, that was impossible, as they were sealed.
The beach was a great experience. The water warm, the waves were fun. The Hotel pool overlooked the ocean. the pictures on their web site do not do it justice. There was a great bar-b-cue that guest could reserve by the pool.
Hollywood area was fun, plenty of things to do, great places to eat.

• Liked — Beach - location - pool
  • Disliked — Not accomadating
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Denise P
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 February 2008

Every once in a while you will just have a bad experience at a hotel because things just don't go your way. This is true even if the hotel is 5 stars and is supposed to be perfect. If this happens then the real way a hotel shines is how they deal with it after the fact.

My experience at the Hollywood Beach Tower was one where it seems like the chips were just not going to fall my way. I will not write about that experience because I am of the opinion that it does not reflect how the hotel is trying to run itself.

First off, you need to understand that this is an older property and will naturally have some old age issues. Secondly, try to get a good deal on this property like the other review talked about.

Now like I said, I had some problems with the hotel but after my stay I contacted the hotel manager who was more than generous in helping me out. He actively pursued my concerns and was welcoming of suggestions. His actions in trying to "make things right" shows that overall this hotel is trying to do what is best for their guests.

In the end I would recommend this hotel to others for the very reason that they help if you have a problem. I feel my concerns were addressed to help those guests staying in the future.

Oh, and as for location, it is 100 times better than staying closer to Miami. Hollywood is a good area.

• Liked — Location and Pool area
  • Disliked — We had some problems that were later resolved
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business