“Not for everybody, but we liked it.”
Review of Riptide Hotel

Riptide Hotel
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Southampton, Pennsylvania
“Not for everybody, but we liked it.”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just got home from 4 nites at the Riptide. Room 12 upstairs in corner. The room was indeed starting to show signs of wear. The room size was your typical motel room with kitchenette all the space you should really need in a warm weather resort ... wall a/c, no screens, good size closet, could use a light though its a little hard to program safe at times. Beds were fine.Daily maid service, fresh towels and beds made.Upstairs balcony very narrow so when guests sit outside their rooms it's a little tough to get around ... can't tell you how many times I said excuse me. Didn't see chairs and umbrellas for beach but we brought our own. Did use the bike ... only had two and they were pretty beat but served its purpose. The reason I say not for everybody is the Tiki Bar. This hotel is very tight quarters and the Tiki Bar goes from 10 am til 9 pm and can get a little loud from time to time. The bar is definately a hang out for nearby locals. Music starts sometime after 12 which I thought was really good,someone different every day into the nite. The barmaid is a one woman show ... she opens, cleans up, serves drinks, waits tables, mingles with patrons and all in all does a real nice job. One of the added benefits of staying at the Rip was drinking your own beer while ordering lunch and listening to the entertainment or just playing cards on the patio. So if your not cool with an older somewhat partying crowd and enjoying classic music 8 hours a day stay somewhere else! Another reviewer says to stay in the north building if you want peace but I believe these are larger rooms for 4/6 people ... the single rooms are by the Tiki Bar. Also if I might add in another review someone stated moving to the Marriott for $20 more, must have slept in there parking lot, prices for my week were $375 plus for the Marriott a nite while I paid $160 for the Riptide per nite. All in all we enjoyed our stay and would return. We were on a budget and for the location, free parking, location and entertainment the Riptide was great. The staff was really helpful.

Room Tip: north complex is away from the Tiki Bar ,but I believe these are all larger rooms for 4 to 6 people...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beerman
Jeremy N, General Manager at Riptide Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you so very much for choosing the Riptide Hotel for your stay and for taking time to write about us!

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and Tiki bar!

I am looking forward to seeing you again for your next stay, Beerman!

Jeremy Noy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Chatham NH
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The moment I arrived and was greeted by super friendly staff members, I knew I had made the right choice. My room was spotless and well equipped. The loaned bikes, beach chairs, etc. were all I needed to enjoy a totally relaxing time running, walking, hiking and enjoying the beach without ever having to encounter a car or a highway.
Staying on the Broadwalk was perfect. The nightly entertainment right there at the outdoor patio was always fun. All my needs were met by the manager and every one of the staff.
See you next year, Riptide. Thanks for all you did.

Room Tip: If you have issues with music or noise, choose a room away from the bar area. For me, my room right...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LBKChathamNH
Jeremy N, General Manager at Riptide Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you so much for choosing us for your stay in Hollywood beach and for your amazing company!

See you next year!!

The Riptide Team!
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 10 February 2014

After five nights in the Keys, booked this hotel for one night because it was on the beach and close to the airport. We had a flight home the next morning. Checked in, room #8,oceanfront queen with a great view of the beach and the boardwalk but directly facing the bar.We didn't realize how bad the room was at first because we went out for a long walk on the "Broadwalk" and then drove a few miles away to a restaurant for dinner. Got back about 9:30 PM as the bar activity with its loud music was winding down. The tile floor had a filthy, slimy residue that I was actually slipping on in my sneakers. The sofa was stained and grubby. The bed was very uncomfortable. There were tiny insects crawling all over the stove. The gap between the countertop and the crummy wood trim was filled with dirt and food particles possibly a food source for the bugs. We thought about packing up and going elsewhere but decided we'd try to get a few hours sleep then leave real early for our flight. I put paper towels down all over the disgusting floor so we could walk on it. We got up at 4AM and went to the airport hours early to get out of there. I spent $198. and we had to share the room with dozens of as yet unidentified insects. I noticed that management has responded to some of the bad reviews and look forward to an explanation for the filthy floor and the bug problem.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 613GeoK
Thank you so much for choosing The Riptide Hotel for your stay in Hollywood and for taking the time to write a review about us. The issues you mentioned in your review are taken very seriously and were dealt with immediately.

We recently replaced our pest control company for a more efficient service. All of our rooms are inspected twice a month by Orkin, a very well respected company in the field.

The gap between the counter top was sealed by our maintenance team and the bed as well as the sofa were replaced.

I would sincerely like to apologize regarding the floor, our housekeeping department was advised of the issue and more room inspections will be done by myself and the head house keeper.

Thank you so much for bringing these issues to my attention. I sincerely hope we will see you again soon here at Riptide!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 February 2014

After seeing Riptide had top reviews on Tripadvisor we booked for one night. Thank goodness it was just one night! We checked into the Marriot a few doors away for the rest of our stay which was only $20 more per but worth it for the facilities and service.
We stayed in room 1. The bed was old and very uncomfortable. There were pubic hairs in the old tatty bathroom and the sofa bed was badly stained. They do not provide any sort of welcome pack so had to go in hunt of a much needed coffee as the Tiki bar was closed. It really does need updating and a good clean. The windows don't open so you have to have the very old and noisy A/C on 24/7 or the room gets damp. The only good thing about the A/C unit is it drowns out the constant noise from the noisy fridge which is close to the bed. The venetian blinds were dirty and broken which spoilt the view of the ocean. I would never stay there again. There are much nicer places with more facilities.

Room Tip: Do not book room 1 unless you don't mind noise and no privacy unless you keep the blinds closed...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bagpus1
Jeremy N, General Manager at Riptide Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review about your stay with us.

We're truly sorry that you had such a bad experience. We are currently working on renovating our room and appliances to improve our guests stay.

We sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Jackson, wy
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in serious need of a deep clean and updating. The location on the beach was good, and that's it. The blinds were so dirty and you couldn't see out the windows because they were so dirty. Bathroom had cheesy tropical fish curtain that looked like it was bought at a dollar store. I was afraid of sleeping in the sheets, it sitting on the couch, because I wasn't convinced they were clean. Too much money charged here for what you get. I wish we would have paid 100 dollars more and stayed at the marriott that looked very nice and was also in the same location. Note that broad walk felt safe, but the alley behind the hotel where you need to park felt very sketchy.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Vickie M
Vickie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about you recent stay with us!

I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your stay at the Riptide Hotel.

Please let me assure you that our couches are cleaned weekly at the very minimum and that the bed covers are changed before every check-in.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would be interested in giving the Riptide another chance!

Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our teenager & college student from December 19th - December 24th, 2013. It was the perfect place for us to stay. We stayed in the building farthest from the office and tiki bar area in room #23. Our room was situated on a corner opposite and farthest away from the office & tiki bar area. The awesome tiki bar is located in front of the main office and has a small location for musicians to perform. The acts performed music from musicians such as; Van Morrison, Jimmy Buffet, etc. The bar area draws a smaller crowd during the day that grows large during "Happy Hour(s)" in the evening. The crowd seemed to dwindle before 10pm at night. The majority of people in the bar area appeared to be 35-70 years of age. The patrons were never obnoxious, rowdy or inappropriate. Loud noise was never a problem for us. We didn't spend much time in our room other than sleeping & showering because the weather was wonderful with an average of lie 80's every day. I liked the fact that our room had 2 entry doors. One of the doors is on the side where you park which is nice for unloading and loading your luggage. The other door opens to a view of the boardwalk & beach. The room was spacious and very clean. The floors are tile which give the room a fresh feel versus carpeting which grosses me out in most hotels had a small modernized kitchen that contained black and stainless steel appliances; full size refrigerator, stove & microwave. It was stocked with dish soap, sponge, dish cloths & towels, paper towels, silverware, dishes, glassware & stemware, ice trays, etc. The sleeping area of the room contains; large windows with a beautiful view of the boardwalk and beach.a love seat with a pullout bed and 2 double/queen size beds, a table with 4 chairs, a nightstand, dresser & large flat screen tv with a DVD player. The bathroom was small, clean and basic. There is no bath tub only a shower. I loved the fact that guests may borrow dvd's, beach chairs, umbrellas & bikes free of charge. The staff was super friendly. I highly recommend The Riptide!!!

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Stephanie A
Stephanie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us!

I am glad that you and your family had a good time here and we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Michigamme, Michigan
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I loved the stay and the employees are the best hands down.The bartenders Rocky and Princess was exciting and full of energy, i couldn't connect with Tarah the blonde bartender because she gets irritated at people for not wanting whine based liquors. i think that should be the first thing you tell people before they but a $8 mixed drink other then that incident she was nice for the most part. Also i really thought the front office girl christine and guy jean were perfect for the office atmosphere, they kept smiles on at all times and went out of there way to keep all the customers happy.of course the big guy Tony OR Tommy was great i dont know wat his job title is but he cooks ,bar back and i think hes the security because he makes sure the whole hotel is protected at all times, he comes in with a big smile and leaves with one the girls have nothing to worry about when the big guys on patrol lol. there was another guy there with long hair who also worked very hard but i didn't get a chance to speak with him i saw him set up early in the morning but when we got back later that day he was still working .The staff really does work all day and hard. Couple of things is rooms need to be updated rust on door handles and inside rooms old furniture problems after problems with the tv and wireless internet.i own a buisness and if you offer free wifi i think the managers should make sure it works I had to go out to the marriot. all tv's should have matching remotes because a panasonic tv with a zenith remote is not attractive it looks like a situation that was not taken seriously. One more problem i have is the big holes in the tables by the grill how long do you let them deteriorate before you actually spend a hundred bucks on new( wooden) tables.

Room Tip: find one with matching remotes
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chad p
Jeremy N, General Manager at Riptide Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Chad,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a detailed & honest review.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are really sorry to hear about the incident that occurred at the bar, our license only allows us to serve beer, wine and wine based frozen cocktails which is written on our menus. I apologize for the miscommunication. We are currently planning for a renovation that will update our rooms and patio area with more features for our guests. I do apologize for the issues with internet during your stay, we have now taken the necessary steps to correct our WIFI system.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly in the future for your next trip!