“No electricity in our room”

Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South
Ranked #35 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Cumberland, Wisconsin
“No electricity in our room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We arrived late Sunday afternoon, joining a group of friends who were already there. We were all staying there the night before our cruise left. Loved the free shuttle from the airport, driver was nice and helped with our bags. Hotel was sold out because of the large group cruising. So checkin was a bit of a wait time. At check-in, Eddie told me my total balance due was $148.xx. (note the group rate for saturday night was $135+tax=$148.xx and the group rate for Sunday was $89+tax=$99.xx). I told hime, "no, the rate is $89 +tax for sunday" and he insisted that it was not, that it was the $135. I never travel without my print outs of my confirmations. Low and behold the confirmation stated $89! Only then did he make the adjustment, and wasn't happy about it. Whatever. He gave us the keys to our room, we trekked all the way there with all of our luggage, dropped off our luggage changed into some warm weather clothes (traveling from Wisconsin) and headed down to the pool, where the rest of our party was.
We hung out there all afternoon/evening. My husband and daughter were beat from traveling so they headed up to bed. A few hours later, around 11pm I headed back to the room. Searched around for the light switch, finally found it but didn't work. No lights. I had left over food Iwanted to put in the fridge, opened the fridge it was warm. Tried turning on the TV, no luck. No power to the alarm clock either. Phone worked though, I called the front desk, got Eddie. Told him that the only electricity that worked in our room was the phone and the bathroom light. He offered to send up maintenance, but with 2 of the 3 of us already sound asleep, I told him no.
In the morning, when checking out, I spoke with a Manager to let them know we were without power in our room, and they may want to fix it before the next person checks in. I never ask for anything, but I thought it wouldve been nice for them to offer me a refund or discount on my room or a credit towards my next stay, anything at all. Nothing was offered. Not even a "Thank You for letting us know. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Nothing.
Tried emailing the Manager and detailing our concerns, with run around. Automated response emails stating, please contact our corporate offices, etc. Just gave up.
We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: get something close to the pool or you'll be carting all your luggage a very long way.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kallenbachn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Waterloo, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We paid nearly $200 for one night prior to a cruise. It wasn't bad, but sure not worth $200. The taps weren't working correctly, the lobby is very crowded on transports to the ships.

One other thing. The company in the lobby offering transfers from the cruise port to the airport was charging $10 per passenger (and likely a tip on that). Our cab fare was only $11.30 total. I'm glad I checked before booking tickets.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark_Waterloo_ON
bloomfield hills, mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was conflicted about staying here based on the reviews. This I can tell you. For the price it is a fine place to stay pre or post cruise (or anything). It is not a beach front hotel. It is not a luxury hotel. It is a safe location to spend the night. My room was spotless (although the bathtub did not drain well). My bed was comfortable, I had free wifi and a decent breakfast. There is even a small bar so I was able to enjoy a beer by the pool before turning in.
The front desk is very busy pre cruise. I did sign up for transportation the night before. That is another bonus free shuttle from airport and then to cruise terminal. I also paid $10.00 for post cruise transportation to airport. (There is a stand in the lobby to sign up). That was a little more disorganized, but I made it to the airport.
I was traveling alone and felt safe. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Princeton, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We used this hotel for a crusie. We stayed the night before the cruise and parked our car there during. The hotel is an avg hotel and could use some updated/refreshing. Overall the staff was nice. The hotel is def busy before and after a cruise with people returning and or checking in. The parking lot is well lite at night and they said they have camera that watch the lots. It is close to fast food joints and a K-mart for last min items needed. The company that does the shuttle to and from ports/airports are well organized and on time.

I will use them again if sailing out of Fort Lauderdale.

Room Tip: I would say rooms in the second building further from pool and bar are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MotorcycleCCTraveler
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

It was a place to stay one night when our flight was cancelled. Near the airport and cruise terminal. Very nice pool area, full breakfast, and accommodating staff at a very reasonable price. Room was a bit dark and drab with an old noisy air conditioning unit, but it was clean and fine for a short stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank judgebuff
Sevierville, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I had a two-night stay at this hotel early February, 2014 prior to a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. We also stayed here last year with a large group prior to a spring break cruise. It was also an attractive hotel to me because I grew up close to this area and am familiar where things are located. I'll start with the positive aspects of this property. The beds are VERY comfortable! The location is convenient to the airport and Port Everglades and offers free shuttle from the airport as long as your flight is within their shuttle service hours of operation, not a minute sooner or a minute past! Trust me on this one! :-) Their transportation is third party and there is a FEE to the cruise port but it's pretty reasonable. This company will also arrange transportation to the water taxi and possibly other area attractions, didn't get into all that with them so I really don't know what all they offer. They will work with you on costs and location drop offs if you have a large enough party. There were six of us on this particular trip. We didn't use their services last year but they will allow you to park you vehicle in their lot for a fee. They have a booth set up in the front lobby and it stays HOPPING in there all the time. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing stay lingering around a quiet hotel, do not stay here! This hotel is BUSY BUSY BUSY. There are a plethora of low budget shopping opportunities (KMart, etc.), several grocery stores,fast food chains and other restaurants all within walking distance of the hotel. There 's a Walgreen's with an attached liquor store east of the hotel but it's a fairly long walk and if you are getting a lot of things, you'll need to negotiate a "stop" while on the shuttle to and fro but the other patrons on the shuttle will have to be on board with that. The hotel pool and breakfast area are very pleasant and represents the tropical, colorful ambiance that the area is known for. Yes, it's humid and depending on the time of year, very hot. And now the negatives. I will caution you to stay around the hotel area and don't venture out on foot to the west. Going past the expressway on foot could be a little dangerous. As far as the rooms, something will be wrong with your room whether it's that you only have ONE bath towel (happened to me), the TV remote is broken (happened to me), the air doesn't work (happened to my friend), the room is dirty (happened to my friend), the room is not exactly clean but not too terribly awful (that happened to me), musty and wet feeling (welcome to South Florida and an older property) or they leave you at the airport to fend for yourself even if your are just TWO minutes past the cut off for the airport shuttle. Do NOT believe a word they tell you because, I called them TWICE and told them our flight had been delayed and that we may be a few minutes after the cut off for the shuttle. The front desk clerk assured me the driver would pick us up as long as it was only 5 to 7 minutes after. I called them from the street two minutes after their cut off and the driver had gone home and the front desk shift had changed and although he was professional and patient...there was nothing he could do for me. We were stuck The airport was crawling with people (the weather up north drew in a lot of cancelled flights and lots of people) so we had to hire a guy with a black SUV (legit enough but not through a taxi cab service) and he had NO way of printing us a receipt. I knew then I had no recourse with the hotel without that but what do you do? I was promised the shuttle would be there by the front desk clerk. Apparently she must have went home and didn't pass on the information or just said all that to pacify me. Regardless, we had to pay a hefty amount to get to the hotel that is a stone's throw away. The next morning, I spoke with a nice young lady at the front desk and asked if I could see the manager. She informed me he was "unavailable" and "not on the property". Surrreeeee. :-) She took my number and told me he would return my call. Of course, he never did. I spoke with the same young lady again later on that day and she stated he was upset with her that she herself didn't handle it and the if I didn't have a receipt for my troubles the prior night, there was nothing that could be done for me. At the very least, he should have called me but I didn't lose any sleep over it. We had a great time and would probably not stay again unless a complimentary two night stay to redeem themselves were offered. Afterall, I grew up there and it was my 25 wedding anniversary. :-)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bwaldroup
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/South Cruise Port
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Quality Inn & Suites Hollywood Boulevard
BEST WESTERN PLUS Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South? Share your experiences!