“This hotel served the purpose...”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Ranked #9 of 69 Hotels in Hollywood
Newark
“This hotel served the purpose...”
Reviewed 19 January 2010

A group of us stayed here for one night before a cruise. We chose this hotel because they have a shuttle that picks you up at the airport and then a shuttle to take you to the cruise terminal the next day. These are both free but you do need to tip the driver.
This hotel served its purpose for the $114, incl. tax, that we paid. The rate does include an adequate, though not extensive, breakfast buffet. The hotel is nothing fancy and as other reviews have mentioned the rooms could use some updating. Cleanliness was not great but I've stayed in worse places. We did have a few ants in our room but the other couples did not so at least they are not all over the hotel! We had no problems with security that some other reviews mentioned.
The staff couldn't have been nicer from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. We had a waterview room which would have been nice if it hadn't been pouring down raining and in the 40's the night we were there. The grounds outside looked very nice.
Another advantage of this hotel is the many eating places you can walk to a short distance away. We tried the Dave and Buster's but the service was terrible - I wouldn't recommend it - so we went to the Ale House right across the street and both the food and the service were great there.
I would stay here again if I needed a hotel before a cruise leaving from Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank retired605

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed 11 January 2010

21 of us stayed pre-cruise, rooms were musty and needed updating, locks on doors looked as though they had been broken into, we were going to leave our car at the hotel during the cruise, but our car alarm went off and someone had tried to break in - lock was broken. Would not recommend this hotel and don't leave your car!!!

• Stayed December 2009
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 29 December 2009

For $135/night, I did not expect luxury, but I did expect a clean, decent room. Our room smelled like smoke and musk. The door tipped us off--it looked like it had been knocked down and hastily rehung, slightly askew. The carpet was oozing water, probably from the leaky air conditioner, and there was an odd dark red stain in the corner. I called the front desk to ask for another room, but was told that they had none. Seeing as how it was 1am, we made do. But every time I turned on the light, there was a different bug on my pillow. It was just nasty! In the morning I went down to talk to the front, and a different lady did reassign us to a new room, which was less filthy but still smelled like smoke and had lots of hair on the bathroom floor and tub. I will never return.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Stayed here 1 night pre-cruise. ($93.86 after taxes). Nov 20,2009.
My personal rating would be a 1-1/2 to 2**, not 2 1/2 **! Well at least that is how I feel. I chose this hotel for the free parking while on the cruise. They also have a free "shuttle" to the port . It was a full size bus, and the company hardsells you to book them for the return trip to the hotel post cruise, saying the cabs rip you off.
The room was typical, although there was a lot of hallway noise into the night. There was no soap in the room at check-in. Mold was apparent in the shower.
My room key was de-activated while I was loading my overnight bag into my car, and had to wait in line while people were checking out....there was only one clerk working. This place gets a lot of pre-cruise travelers, so it was busy in the morning! The elevator was horribly slow. It was impossible to find a place to sit for the "breakfast", which was typical.
I took a cab back to the hotel post cruise....$26 + tip.....I'm glad I did as the people waiting for the "shuttle" at the port were not happy. I believe they paid $18.
I think I'll stay somewhere else next trip.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Madison, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 November 2009

We stayed here pre-cruise as it was only hotel in the area we found that allowed you to leave your car at no charge. We were gone 10 days. There was a free shuttle to port but we did have to pay $25 cab fare upon return. Considering the price of parking at the port we felt it was a good deal. We paid $85 for the pre-cruise night.
The hotel has more ambiance than some as it is situated next to a small lake. There is a shopping area nearby with several good restaurants.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Not bad overall. Some of the reviews are a little con-extreme.
The hotel is a typical Florida hotel - lots of use, wear and tear, and the weather and humidity do not help. But overall, clean rooms, lobby could use some new furniture but clean, great pool area and lovely lake setting - excellent airport and Port Everglades cruise terminal hotel stop-over. more of a business hotel that recreation resort.
I give it an "Average".

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank td397
Sugar Land
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at La Quinta for 2 nights. This is the second time we stayed at this La Quinta. First time we were there 5 days and really liked it, but this time we were very disappointed at how much the hotel has had gone down. Beds are comfortable and the staff very nice and friendly. The one thing we did not like was that the bathroom sink/tub’s water did not drain properly as well as the toilet flushing after 2 times of trying It took a long time for the water to drain and to me this is not acceptable., This is the one thing that will keep us from ever returning and recommending this hotel to others, especially when all over the hotel they post they want the guests to rate them as a 10 hotel. If they want a 10 then the hotel needs to be a 10. The hotel needs work. Elevator is too slow and you can tell that people have scratched the walls/door of the elevator writing their names and all kinds of stuff, like graffiti. Breakfast is lacking in variety and healthful choices as well.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple