“I'm a little late but I think I can be helpful”

Cedar Cove Resort & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Holmes Beach
Toms River
“I'm a little late but I think I can be helpful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2008

I am a little late writing this review but I think I can be of some help here. When my wife and I booked Cedar Cove Resort in 05 there wasn't any Trip Advisor reviews on the property yet. We wanted to stay at Angelinos a few blocks to the north but it was booked. We chose Cedar Cove based on the website alone. When we stayed the beach was being renourished. There were large 36 inch diamether pipes running in front of the property . The job was supposed to be done already but the company doing the job was running way behind schedule. As a result the beach was not as pretty as it is now. We still had fun. I brought my two person raft along and my wife and I were able to row along the shoreline in both directions. We played tennis at the courts in Holmes Beach. We rode the free trolley. I hope it's still free. We cooked most of our meals to save a little money. We did eat at a seafood place across the bridge in Cortez. It was great. I think it was Starfish something or other. It was right on the docks with the fishing boats. Nothing fancy , just good food.
I notice that some people think Cedar Cove is the best thing since sliced bread while others think it is quite repulsive. I think I can shed some light here. The accomodations run the gamut from modern beautiful units to older less attractive units. Most of the glowing reviews are from people who stayed in the newer building close to the gulf. In it can be found the living quarters which are the most modern on the property. We stayed in the Coral Reef which is in an older building which is attached to the main office. It was quite small and the furnishings were a tad old. The couch was full of sand. The cooking utensils were dated also. There was a patio which was shared with the sunset suite next door. We still had a good time though. I noticed that the pictures on the website of the units were the same ones that were on there a few years ago when we stayed. The website does not let you know that some of the units are across the street. I would have been dissapointed if I had been stuck in one of these units. A map of the property would go a long way to clear up any misconceptions that people may have about the location of the units. Cedar Cove Resort is an OK place to stay. Just make sure you know what you are getting before you book your accomodations.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — our unit could have been a little cleaner
  • Stayed November 2005, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank sheltercove
MrInnkeeper, Manager at Cedar Cove Resort & Cottages, responded to this review, 6 June 2009
We at Cedar Cove Resort appreciate the input of our guests and thank this guest for there review. In regard to beach renourishment this is a much needed task that may occur at best every 6 to 10 years. If the barrier Islands on the entire west and east coast of the United States didn’t complete this task many catastrophic problems would occur. Loss of wildlife habitat, fishing estuaries, property damage, and beaches just wouldn’t exist for visitors, residents or any one else for this matter. We certainly do apologize for this inconvenience but this is totally out of our control.

We have three different themes to our property, Opulent direct gulf views, Our Beachy suites, and our Key West Style Cottages. There are many reviews on line of our suites and each guest has different tastes. It is our goal to offer the guests the best accommodation for there needs. All of our suites are pictured on line which we update periodically so that our guests can make an informed decision on there selection. Since our suites are decorated in themes we replace all the furniture with the same like kind and quality there by they remain constant.

We always ask each guest on check in “ if there is anything you need while your here please ask us right away after all our job is to make you relax and unwind”. We wish that when this guest had a concern they would have brought it to our attention immediately so we could have taken steps to remedy this particular situation. As opposed to waiting three years to write about it. Perhaps a room change would have been in order.

There is no excuse for sand being on a couch or in a room. It is a continual on going daily battle being right on the beach. Our house keeping staff is well aware of the meticulous nature of there supervisor and each room is cross checked several times before a guests occupies it. Our guests when making a reservation in a Cottage are always informed that they are just across the street from our main property we would never mislead any guest in this way. We try our absolute best to make all our guest comfortable and satisfied with there lodging selection. There are many guests that return year after year and book the same suite whether it be a Cottage or a gulf front room. We take umbrage with the writer’s suggestion that a guest would be stuck in a Cottage. Our Resort tries its absolute best to please all our guests. The Majority of our guests feel that our Resort is more than just an OK place to stay. This March we won the most coveted #1 Best Resort on the Island award.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmes Beach
#1 of 2 in Anna Maria
Haleys Motel and Resort
Haleys Motel and Resort
#5 of 15 in Holmes Beach

Been to Cedar Cove Resort & Cottages? Share your experiences!