“Paradise”

Cedar Cove Resort & Cottages
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Holmes Beach
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Cedar Cove has been my destination of choice on Anna Maria Island for the last 5 years. I've stayed in many of the suites ranging from the Penthouse right on the beach to the cottages acroos the street from the beach. The rooms are decorated in Tropical Decor and the staff is friendly and eager to satisfy and request.
I would recommend Cedar Cove to anyone visiting the Island for a relaxing & memorable experience.

Jim Sanderson

Reviewed 11 January 2009

This is the only place to stay on Anna Maria Island! We have stayed at the Cedar Cove Resort several times and have never wanted to leave. On this three night stay, we were also married right there on the beach of Cedar Cove at sunset. Eric and Jeff made our sunset wedding the most memorable and beautiful wedding we could have ever dreamed of. The suites are all so "beach" decorated and always very clean. The rates are very affordable and the service is outstanding. Eric and Jeff are both very knowledgable and helpful about places to dine on the island. They have many items for their guests to enjoy such as, two pavillion huts to sit under and relax, several BBQ pits to use and plenty of lounge chairs for use out on the beach. There are also hammocks for you to relax in and many waterfalls to enjoy on this beautifully landscaped resort. They also offer free margarita's, as long as you have them yesterday! For us, staying at Cedar Cove Resorts is our paradise away from home.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2009

This is our 2nd time to this area. Went to Siesta Key last year and stayed for a week. The beaches got hit by red seaweeds and lots of activities were affected as a result. During the visit we drove north to Anna Maria Island and had dinner on Rod and Reel pier, wonderful place to hangout and treat your stomach with some delicious seafood.

So this year we decided to stay on the island (after confirming there is no red seaweed). We checked out hotel/resort ratings and found 2 places: Cedar Cove and Palm Tree. Palm Tree is all 1 story and is 1/2 block away from the beach, and Cedar Cove is right on the beach, has a unit available on 2nd floor but costs more. In the end we booked the Coconut Suite for a wk.

Met Eric upon our arrival, a very calm and cool guy I would say. Complete opposite to Jeff whom I spoke with on the phone, who is just like an old friend/neighbor. Checked out our suite, which is on the second story of the building closest to the beach. Had beautiful direct gulf views in both living room (which has a balcony) and bedroom. Rooms are clean and nicely maintained, the floor plan is fabulous. Kitchen is nicely equipped and we end up using it a lot, including cooking some fish we caught from Anna Maria city pier, :).

Eric became the hero of my son when he grabbed a snake on the beach the second day. The snake was non-poisonous as told by Eric but nevertheless made some folks nervous. It was quite happy though, swimming and chilling until being escorted back to the bushes. My son said he wanted to grab the snake like what Eric did, ...

The activity list provided by resort was very helpful. Although I would like to add Mixon Fruit Farm, Siesta Key Drumming Circle and Mote Aquarium too. Went to a dolphin watching/shelling/eco tour with Captain Kim (recommended by Jeff). Didn't see the dolphins, but still I would highly recommend the tour. Captain Kim is a wonderful lady to hang out with. She showed us the bay, told us all sorts of stories. We explored around a sand bar and while we were shelling, she picked up all kinds of live marine animals from the grassy area (snails, crabs, scallops and sea stars), put them in a container and showed to us. Our 3 yr old son was thrilled as you can imagine.

The 3 piers are all wonderful. On the last day at the Holmes Public Beach pier we saw a group of dolphins playing and feeding, just fascinating stuff. Saw a few at city pier a few days earlier as well. If you like fishing, rent a rod from City Pier or Rod and Reel Pier and enjoy the surroundings. There was live music at Cafe on the Beach (Holmes Public Beach) and City Pier. We became friends with Mike (the singer at Cafe on the Beach) and my son had a total blast, he danced vividly as Mike sings, for at least 20 minutes. Lovable experience.

Didn't rent a bike or scooter. Comparing to Siesta Key, the beaches at Anna Maria are not as wide and I didn't see many people ride bikes on the beaches (which we love to do). For youngsters, renting a bike or scooter and exploring the quiet and beautiful island would be an interesting activity.

One day while I was building a sand castle I noticed there were so many sand fleas in the sand. Luckily enough, we were not bitten (last year we were and it was not fun at all). Still I would recommend putting on insect repellent during evenings hours while on the beach.

Overall, it was a great trip. Jeff is super kind and Eric is super cool. And our "home" is very sweet. The only things I would improve if I were the manager would be:
* Expand the activity list
* Provide simple floor plans for every suite and overall resort layout on internet (so people knows where each unit is and how they are laid out). Doesn't have to be fancy, could simply draw by hand and scan in the drawings.
* For coconut suite, carpet could use a change.

Now I can't wait to go back again. Definitely would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ReadTheWorldAsABook
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We're "been there, done that, and still doing it" people; so when we get away, we look for places where we can de-stress and re-generate our batteries.

For us that means a small, casual, laid-back, friendly place, with fishing nearby (for my husband), sunning (for me), and a self-contained unit with a balcony from which we can read, overlook water, and watch sunsets (for both of us)! This time we wanted to fly to wherever it was non-stop from Boston, pick up a car, and get there easily.

Anna Maria Island looked like it would fit the bill, and Cedar Cove Resort’s website looked like a wonderful place to consider. Within 10 minutes of my online request for information, Eric , the owner, called me! A couple of further phone calls answered my remaining questions, and we confirmed our reservation to stay in the "Sand Dollar," a delightful second floor fully-equipped apartment overlooking the Gulf. We both felt that Cedar Cove more than lived up to its web and phone descriptions!

With a free trolley service back and forth down the island, you really don’t need a car; but it’s useful if you want to sight-see off-island, and if, like my husband, you need to feel free to come and go. We did drive down Long Key to St. Armand’s Circle for a delicious outdoor lunch, and combined it with a visit to the Circus Museum at the Ringling complex, which is truly extraordinary – especially the second floor! Well worth the trip!

Back at Cedar Cove, we were 20 steps away from lounge chairs right on the beach that you could drag to wherever you wanted to sit (except in the water - others are available for that!) a stash of books and kids' beach toys to borrow, gas grills, hammocks, and two tiki huts if the sun got too hot, or if you wanted to reserve the space for a small gathering – including a wedding we peeked at - perfect!

Same for Eric's suggestions for dinner, breakfast and a fishing guide. He quickly recognized what would appeal to us and pointed us in the right direction every time. But for the most part, we kept “close to home” – and that’s just what it felt like. A week wasn’t enough, and we’re already working on how to make it longer next time!

Reviewed 19 December 2008

We had decided to skip the ice and snow for a few days before Christmas and happened to read about this great little place in the USA TODAY on the way to Florida and decided to check it out.
Boy, am I glad we did!
When we arrived at the island, we did a drive-by to look at the place and it looks normal BUT the rooms were so comfortable and clean, the people so nice and helpful, the food so good around you and THE BEACH!!!!! WOW! One of the nicest beaches I know of. You know most of the time when you walk a beach, there are so many people - not so at this time of the year - the first part of December is always a great time to travel because everybody else is home doing shopping, etc. The sand was fine like flour, and clean!!! It is level to walk on and solid - not loose sand that is hard to walk through. Plus, we found so many COOL shells.
The owner, Eric, gave us several good tips for places to dine out and everyone was topnotch. The Starfish, Sign of the Mermaid. There were so many good little places that we didn't get to try - I can't wait to go back! Fish, Fish, Fish and Cremebrulee French Toast for Breakfast at a little quaint place down the road - I think it was called Ginny E's but it was also in the USA TODAY article.
I was still Christmas shopping online and the internet works great.
You MUST try this place. Not expensive either.

Reviewed 9 December 2008

The car rental firm must be laughing. The Mustang sat there for 6 days, we actually took it out for a ride once as we felt bad about it. Why was this ? Imagine looking out over the Gulf of Mexico from your luxurious well appointed apartment , watching wonderful sunsets, even moon sets from your balcony, in an exclusive beach bar or on the clean sandy beach that separates you from the sea. Wake up to the sound of the ocean. Everything you need is on hand, if you need anything more, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. They are always about if you need them but leave you alone to enjoy your stay. Walk along the beach to a fine selection of restaurants, all the shops you need are within walking distance too. Although you may want to use the car in case you forget how to drive.

Reviewed 8 December 2008

We just returned yesterday from a weekend getaway for my 40th birthday. My husband and I left our three kids with a friend and her family and flew off for the weekend, knowing nothing about Anna Maria Island or Cedar Cover other than what we found online. Both the location and the resort far exceeded our expectations. I hesitated to even write a review for fear of spreading the word about this special little secret gem of a place. The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful, with palm trees all around and such easy access to the beach it's like having the beach and ocean as a front yard. Amazingly private and quiet and the hosts are outstanding and enthusiastic, yet they leave you alone and let you feel like you are in your own private oasis. Keep in mind, this is old Florida style. We stayed in the Sand Dollar Suite, which was by no means new. But it was clean and the bed was comfy and the views were just out of this world. I like to go to different places whenever we travel but I have no doubt we'll go back to Cedar Cove someday - hopefully soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmes Beach
Waterline Marina Resort & Beach Club, Autograph Collection
Zota Beach Resort
Zota Beach Resort
#2 of 5 in Longboat Key

Been to Cedar Cove Resort & Cottages? Share your experiences!