“Historic charmer on Anna Maria Island”

Harrington House Beachfront Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Holmes Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I just returned a few hours ago from my stay in the Harrington House and I wanted to write a review while my stay was fresh in my mind.
I was staying with a friend at another rental that became too crowded so on the spur of the moment I drove down the beach and checked out Harrington House.
The first thing I must comment on was the friendly staff. We were met with a very pleasant agent who was extremely accomodating. She had someone show us three rooms and we chose one that best suited our needs.
We spent our first night in the Carriage House and it was the better (and cheaper) of the two rooms we stayed in. It was on the second floor, large, comfortable, impeccably clean and had a private balcony. There are five rooms on the second floor and there is also a common area with a spacious seating area, small kitchen and dining table. If you were so inclined you could cook your meals there. It would be a nice place for a family vacation where private rooms were a priority.
We had to change rooms the next day because the room we were in was booked.We moved to the Spindrift which is in the main house. Much smaller and darker but it opens onto the pool. With a smaller bed and tiny TV it wasn't worth the extra money to us to stay close to the pool.
The main house has a very large common area with fireplace and library. Movies are available in the library but the selection is limited. The breakfast area is in the main house and has views of the pool and ocean. The decor is vintage and lovely. The breakfast was hearty and we had a choice of eggs with spinach and cheese and a nice french toast with apple compote. It was served on vintage china which appealed to me. Coffee and cookies are kept out all day and the cookies taste homeade.
Amenities are plentiful and complimentary. Beach bikes, umbrellas, kayaks, towels, lounge chairs and rafts are all available to guests. Nice to not have to pack beach supplies.
Anyone not familiar with the Gulf will find it warm and calm with soft, white sandy beaches. The grounds are lovely with nice brick walks, sea grapes, fountains, sea oats and several restaurants nearby. Having rented several condos and homes on Anna Maria in the past I would place this quaint B&B at the top of my list and will be returning on a yearly basis. It far surpasses any other rentals on the Island.

Room Tip: I preferred the rooms in the carriage house over the rooms in the main house. The one we stayed in w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Harrington House Beachfront Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I booked Bungalow #2 for three nights. We were in town for a surgical procedure and wanted a restful, quiet place to stay. My husband got to recover in a relaxing HOUSE that we both loved. The bungalow was very charming and, although it would have been nice not to have to run to Publix for hand soap in the kitchen, lotion, and more trash bags, it did not ruin our trip by any means. It would, however, be nice to have at least a housekeeping "straighten up" service after two days...note that there is no housekeeping at all during your stay in the bungalows. Not a big deal for us, but for a family with kids or a group, it might be. Overall, a wonderful time!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife and I chose this property to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary and we were thrilled we did. We stayed in the Veranda Room in the main house on the 3rd floor and we loved it. It was a very nice room with a deck that looked out over the ocean. In fact, we could see the ocean from the king size bed.
We enjoyed our breakfast every day. The dining experience was classy, but laid back and the servers were super friendly. Some of the tables had a view of the gulf right outside the window and there was the option to eat poolside overlooking the ocean as well.
There were kayaks and bicycles for use by the guests. The beach area was very nice and we were thrilled with how UN-crowded it was. I thought it was super cool that we saw some sting rays swim right past us and that I spotted a BIG turtle on the beach one night that came ashore to lay eggs.
The owners were pretty hands-off. We seldom saw them, but that was okay.
Attention tall guys: The Veranda Room is a converted attic and some of the ceiling clearances are really low (particularly in the shower and in front of the bathroom mirror). I'm 6'2 and I had to duck to clear the ceiling, but it wasn't a huge deal.

Room Tip: The Veranda Room was pretty sweet!
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having stayed there for a week, the place does grow on you a little bit. That being said, I cannot really give it a stellar review...
PROS: The location...we stayed in Carriage House 2 and we had a view of the Gulf, as well as the ability to eat breakfast outside by the pool with a view of the Gulf. They have their own section of beach and since it is a small place, it is not crowded at all unlike some other areas you see looking down the beach. The garden areas are beautifully landscaped and the area leading up to the house, as well as the main part of the house and the common area of the Carriage House were nice. Breakfast was nice and they always give you alternatives if you would prefer something else. Staff was friendly.
CONS: Because you are spending as much as you are, I don't know, it didn't seem like a good value. Our room was tired, dated and woefully in need of a renovation (for example: wall and bathroom door were patched but never painted). Room was extremely small, and deck faced Gulf, but was also very small. Other Carriage house decks seemed to have lounging or nicer chairs. Another big issue were the amenities...I'd take an umbrella or some sort of shade over a free bike or kayak rental. Every other property on the beach had some sort of covering. With it feeling like over 100 each day, you really needed some sort of covering, otherwise you feel like you are baking out there. How much would it cost them to get some cheap umbrellas for guests to borrow? Very few people were on the beach for long because you just cannot take that for too long.

Anna Maria Island was a great spot for relaxation. Great restaurants, nice and relaxed and much less people than further up in Madeira Beach. I just think unless they do some updating and provide some sort of shade, we will be looking for accommodations elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Not sure if the other Carriage House rooms are more updated than #2, and probably have bigger decks.
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
HarringtonHouseFL, Owner at Harrington House Beachfront Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for your comments. It has taken us a day or so to put everything you mentioned that needed attention into action. We now have plans in place to update Carriage #2 and have taken another look at anything else we might have overlooked. Umbrellas have been ordered and we will have these available for guests on an on-going basis. We are sorry that you encountered these issues but thank you again for letting us know and hope to see your back at Harrington House in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

This place was amazing. The food and service was excellent. I absolutely loved this place. We got to walk on the beach to breakfast everything morning, They were so nice to us and and gave us recommendations for activities on the island. Everyone was so nice and helpful.

1  Thank Matiana W
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The view was amazing! It was very clean with very nice linens! The kitchen had everything you needed and the stuff in it was easy to get to. When needed the staff was very helpful but other than that they left us alone. We stayed in Vista Grand 3 and I would definitely recommend it to all my friends and family! This is perfect for all ages! It was definitely the best place I have ever stayed at!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Harrington House is a perfect blend of down home hospitality and upscale elegance. The accomodations are varied and well appointed. With multiple locations and rooms there is something for everyone. You can craft a beautiful romantic retreat and bring the family and friends and enjoy your stay just the same. The atmosphere is charming but elegant and the staff is sincere, genuine, and very accomdating. The breakfast with your stay is gourmet, simple and easy - no pressure - you wake up come down - are seated and you can enjoy your meal at your leisure in the comfort of your own table - many of which are outside on the pool patio overlooking the beach and gulf. If upscale comfort, top shelf service, and easy going relaxation are on your priority list - then Harrington House is your place. Look no further.

3  Thank Robert F
#2 of 3 in Anna Maria
BridgeWalk a Landmark Resort
BridgeWalk a Landmark Resort
#2 of 11 in Bradenton Beach

Been to Harrington House Beachfront Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!