“Great Improvements This Year”
Review of Turtle Reef Club

Turtle Reef Club
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is my 3rd year here. I am an owner of this timeshare place. We love it so much that my daughter & family, another friend and we purchased another unit for 2 wks. The new living room and bedroom furniture was a real plus. The staff there is always willing to help. We will now have 6 units there when we all come next year.

Room Tip: every room has an ocean view with easy access to the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Elizabeth A, Manager at Turtle Reef Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

We are so glad to see that you had such a wonderful time at Turtle Reef Club. We are constantly trying to meet all of our owners and guests expectations and I hope that we were able to fulfill yours during your stay. We continually strive to improve the resort and we appreciate your recognizing them. We always welcome feedback.

Helping to meet our owners and guest's expectations is our goal. We look forward to your next visit with us, we are always ready to help you make vacation memories.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed at the same resort a year ago. I believe I gave it a four star rating. Was impressed by the resort that I elected to book it again this year.

Booked June 22nd through June 29th. After a couple nights I found that I was getting bug bites on my legs that were itching badly. As the days went on the amount of bites and the itching grew progressively worse. I stripped my bed looking for bedbugs but none were found or the debris they leave behind. Yet what was a few dozen bites on my lower legs and feet became hundreds of bug bites. I carry EPI-Pens as I tend to react to a number of things. Mosquito bites can itch for a few weeks unless treated. I was spraying NEW SKIN antiseptic spray on the area which provided limited relief.

Thursday, 26 JUN 2014 I confronted the Turtle Reef Staff about the problem and said we were being eaten alive at night and scratching ourselves until we bled. The front desk staff chuckled as if this was somehow funny. "You have a case of no-see-ums (biting midges/sand flies), you brought them into your unit from the beach." I pointed out that neither one of us had been to the beach one time since we arrived. "You must have brought them up from the pool." That day was the first time I had used the pool the entire week. I expressed the fact that I had bug bites on my legs, thighs, and elsewhere. The staff laughed. Big smiles, thought our suffering was a big joke.

Turtle Reef Club should have offered us another unit that was not infested with these small biting bugs. They did not, the found our plight to be amusing! By the time we checked out of the resort I had bug bites in the hundreds on my legs, thighs (up to my groin), stomach, back, and shoulders. The remainder of the ten days I spent in FL I was scratching and going to the pharmacy trying to find some kind of product that would give us some relief from the itching these small insects created. The truth is I am still dealing with the itch using Benadryl orally and Liquid Benadryl for relief of the itching that covers much of my body but my feet and legs are the worse. We both scratched ourselves at night until we bled.

I would recommend that Defend Resorts (which I understand own this condo resort), develop a Plan of Correction so no future guest suffer the way we did. I would also recommend that laughing at a resort guest's misery is not acceptable.

When we checked out we were both quite angry and was told there was nothing they could really do about this, wearing insect repellent can deter them. Honestly Turtle Reef Club are you telling your guests they need to wear insect repellent before going to bed? I should have insisted on another unit or that the resort find us another two bedroom condo that was not bug infested.

During the week we found if we left any food out on the counter or range it was soon swarmed by very small ants.

I would caution anyone on staying at this resort unless you bring several cans of RAID with you should you encounter unit #504 and they have done nothing to the bug infestation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank WhoDey119
Elizabeth A, Manager at Turtle Reef Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. We really wish that your vacation had met all of your expectation. I do apologize for the staff "laughing" at you, but I believe that they were identifying with your discomfort because several of the staff are also allergic to the No-See-Ums bite themselves. These menacing critters are all over south Florida, and is a problem for many resorts and their guests. They are particularly prolific this year due to the amount of rain we have been getting. The Tiki Hut at the Pool is actually named the No-See-Ums Hut, because of the prevalence of these pests. As a result of you bring your experience to our attention, we are now included information about the No-See-Ums and some suggested solutions for guests in our check in packet.

As to our Pest Control Policy, that service is contracted to a professional pest control company. The resort is treated once a month, and the grounds are treated on a quarterly bases.

We are truly sorry that your stay with us was so uncomfortable for you. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have a friend that rents a condo for a week in Jensen. She invites several friends to join her. This year she was unable to rent the condo she usually books and finally decide on the Turtle Reef Club. She was assured all rooms had ocean view and balconies. Much to our dismay we were assigned room 102. The balcony had a view of seagrapes and a tiny glimpse of the ocean. My friend asked for a room on a higher floor but was told none was available even though she was willing to pay more for a room with a true ocean view. From seeing lights on at night and the parking lot not full, I would guess they were maybe 50% occupied. The furniture was fairly new but very uncomfortable. The twin beds had mattresses that were very uncomfortable. The smaller bathroom had grout that was black and a shower head that was black and discolored. The master was in better shape. As we sat on the balcony to enjoy the ocean breeze (not view), there was a exhaust pipe of some sort that ran out into the grass next to the balcony. It discharged something that smelled strongly of diesel.
The brochures of the resort listed fines and more fines from having animals to smoking which is not exactly inviting. I do realize that rules must be followed but there is surely a more pleasant way of advising people of the fines. Our standing joke was ...do not do that ..you will be fined.
This was probably one of the worst experiences I have had at Jensen and I will never go back to The Turtle Reef again. For $166 a night, I am sure there are better places available. While the staff was all pleasant, it does seem they could have made better accommodations for us.

PS The hair dryer was stored in the vanity right next to the toilet plunger (:

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher than the first floor. Check out the bathrooms first.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sandra W
Elizabeth A, Manager at Turtle Reef Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

We are truly sorry and deeply regret that your stay at Turtle Reef Club did not meet your expectations. We strive to accommodate all guests and help them create lifetime vacation memories. As we are a timeshare resort each individual unit is owned, which is why we were unable to move you to a higher floor. Owners can choose to use or not use their unit and we are unable to place other guests in their units without prior permission, even if they are vacant. That is why some lights may have been off, but we would still not be able to place guests there. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback as it helps us to improve our resort. We do hope you give us another try.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed in this 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit with 3 persons. King bedroom and small twin bedroom. Twin bedroom was very small but had large closet. Living room furniture soon to be replaced but doable as was. Nice kitchen, long outdoor screened in balcony across living room and king bedroom. Pool was the best part as it was really warm and could swim even in the cool weather. Would have been nice to have complimentary lawn chairs/ bikes to use. A drive to most restaurants and shopping, everything nearby asleep by 8pm. Fairly pricey area for dining with limited options-- mostly middle-older age community. Nothing within walking distance.

Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank mgdrn
Elizabeth A, Manager at Turtle Reef Club, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

The staff of Turtle Reef always strives to meet the expectation of our guest's vacation experience. Your comments are appreciated and we thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. There are a number of amenities but we are glad you especially like the warm pool. We encourage you to take advantage of our other amenities and would like to extend a warm welcome for your next visit with us.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I read the other reviews and was pleasantly surprised that everything was so nice. Clean, perfect amenities, you can hear and see the ocean from almost every unit. Yes the furnishings are older and one stove burner needed replacing but everything else was perfect.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank richardandmindy

We are happy when our guests are happy. In March 2014 we replaced the living room furniture and art work in each unit which was well received. It is always our goal to continue to improve Turtle Reef. The resort appreciates hearing from you and how much you enjoyed the consoling ocean sounds. We hope that you can return to enjoy the new furniture, so we would like to extend a warm welcome for you next visit.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at Turtle Reef Club in a 2 bedroom condo- it was spotlessly clean- the kitchen was better stocked than my own and the master bedroom had a king bed and was huge. Although it was a 2 bedroom, it was only for my husband and myself so we didn't have need for the 2nd bedroom which had 2 twin beds. If I were traveling with children, that would be great, but if traveling with another couple, not so much....

The location right on the beach was spectacular and I loved swimming every day. We were on the 2nd floor and i could lie in the bed and see the ocean waves and hear the ocean all night with the sliders opened. They had a nice little fitness center that I used every day and had it to myself the entire week. The pool was large and comfortable and very popular with other guests. The beach was so big you felt like you had it all to yourself even though other people were there.I would love to visit here again! Very close to historic Stuart, Fl, too, with lots of unique shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the room we stayed in - 206 and I loved the location because of the ocean view...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarcoIslandLakeside
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Just return from a stay at the Turtle Reef Club in December 2013. This resort is in need of a major renovation. It was fine 20 plus years ago when the furniture and everything else in the units was new. The units are dirty and not well maintained. After taking a shower and my 1 year old taking a bath one night we were barefoot in the unit and when we went to go to bed the bottoms of our feet were black. This is how dirty the carpets and flooring are in the unit. Bath tub in the master bedroom would fill with water when shower was run and not drain. The top of the refrigerator was rusty and the cookware was cheap and dirty. I only thing the Turtle Reef Club has going for it is that it is oceanfront but believe me there are plenty of other places that are oceanfront in Jensen Beach, FL that would be much nice to stay at. Don't waste you time or money staying at the Turtle Reef Club.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Robert T
Elizabeth A, Manager at Turtle Reef Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

We are terribly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at Turtle Reef Club. We strive each day to improve and meet our guests expectations. We have been working on updating the resort and in March 2014 we will be receiving the brand new living room furniture. We have begin to add new bedroom furniture and dining tables to all the units as well. For the uncleanliness you experienced, we apologize, if we would have been made aware we would have gladly made sure to have someone visit your unit for an extra cleaning. We work to constantly improve our resort and do appreciate you sharing your feedback, as it is the only way for us to know what guests would like to see. We hope that you'll give Turtle Reef Club another shot in the future

Management

Hutchinson Shores Resort & Spa
Hutchinson Shores Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Jensen Beach
Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina

Been to Turtle Reef Club? Share your experiences!