“First and Last Time Eating at El Fogon” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Cuban
Description: Telephone 321-914-0988
Description: Telephone 321-914-0988
Indialantic, Florida
“First and Last Time Eating at El Fogon”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

My husband and I ate lunch there. We were a little skeptical when we walked in as the the place seemed unkept. The service was slow to get water and menus. The food tasted like the fish had been frozen but the worst part was the hair in my food. When I pointed it out, the waitress said was mine! Mind you, my hair was tied up, she was also doing the cooking, and her hair was loose. What a disappointment.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

“Yum yum yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Absolutely great food. Who knew ground beef and black beans could taste so good. And the seafood paella! I could dine here every day. The prices are reasonable and the owner is very sweet and friendly. I gave atmosphere a 4 only because I wish it had more seating for larger groups.

Cocoa Beach, FL
“El Fogon = Fine Cuban and Latin Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Last Wednesday, nine of us dined here to celebrate a friend’s birthday. We all live almost 20 miles from the restaurant but we chose El Fogon because one diner has Cuban friends who highly recommend the food. We drive down 5th Ave in Indialantic several times a month and never before noticed this restaurant. The place is small with only three tables in the tiny restaurant. We took over the entire dining area; we felt as if we were eating at home. With a dining area this cozy, you know that you will receive personalized service throughout the meal & we did. During our meal, several people came to pick up their take out orders.

Maria, our server, warmly greeted us as we arrived and we kept her busy all night long. Since we all brought our own wine, Maria quickly brought out wine glasses. She then brought out tall glasses of ice water. The menus were coated placemats at each place setting. Maria stopped by several times to ensure that everything was fine. Later, Marcela, the owner with Chef Jorge who hails from Costa Rica came over to say hello.

I have to admit that I rarely order Cuban food but I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner. Three of us chose the Paella del Mar, $15.95 (para 2 for $28.00.) It arrived piping hot and we had to wait a few minutes for it to cool. The tasty Spanish saffron rice contained plenty of scallops, octopus, fish, mussels, clams and shrimp. In fact, the dish was so filling that we each took more than half, home; in fact, most of us took boxes home. I also ordered a side order of plantains, $2.50 that were delicious. Another diner had the Paella de Pollo, $10.95 and she was pleased with her piping hot dish of chicken, chorizo, sautéed peas and red peppers in the same delicious Spanish saffron rice. El Fogon claims that they have the best Paella in town & we all agree that it really was good. Two other guests ordered pork dishes that were not available that night but quickly found other choices that pleased them. One had the Fricase de Pollo, $9.95 and enjoyed it. The chicken and potatoes cooked in Creole sauce arrived with sides of black beans and rice. The birthday honoree had a delicious Cuban cut juicy steak and declared it wonderful. It arrived seared on the grill with caramelized onions, served with rice and black beans. Another diner tried the Crema de Calabaza con Quesito, Pumpkin Soup that he said was tasty and delicately seasoned. It looked freshly made and visually appealing with a rich yellow color, served with toasted Cuban bread. He also enjoyed the Chef’s Choice of Mixed Vegetables, which this night was onions and red peppers sautéed in white wine and oil. His Mofongo Relleno, $9.95 wth Ropa Vieja (shredded beef) was enjoyable also, he said. I tasted the flavorful Mofongo, mashed fried green plantains. If you enjoy Costa Rican food, try the Casado, $11.25, which is rice, black beans, sweet plantains, cabbage, tomato and your choice of fish, chicken or beef.

We were too full for dessert but the birthday honoree shared the Tres Leche dessert with us all. It was sweet and tasty. Flan lovers will enjoy the Flan here and they serve pastries. The desserts are $2.00 - $3.75.

We were pleased with the friendly service, the delicious meal and the reasonable prices. Do not expect a lot of ambiance as this is a tiny restaurant in a strip mall with a busy take out counter. When I am in the neighborhood, I would definitely return for a meal or do Take Out service. If you are interested, call ahead for the weekly specials. Check out their lively and colorful website for photos of their dishes. Be sure, though, to use the bar at the very top to navigate the site. If you enjoy Cuban food, stop in and check out the entire menu. I guarantee that you will find something here that you like. The food impressed me so much that I took home an order of the El Fogon Cuban Sandwich. It tasted delicious reheated and was large enough for two meals. Enjoy Cuban food El Fogon‘s way.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank glomarrone
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Authentic Cuban”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

This small restaurant is a diamond in the rough. Service was incredible, hospitality is true southern, food was AAAA+

Visited May 2012
Long Island
“Great food, great price, great people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We first discovered El Fogon last December. I first went in looking for an afternoon Cuban coffee and discovered good Cafe Colada and and a very nice woman, Marsella working there. We had three meals in six days that trip. This trip, in March, our first meal was here and had four meals here again......yes, it's that good. Multiple afternoon Cuban coffee trips too !!!! If you like real Spanish food, this is for you ! If you think you do, but not sure, this is for you too !!!
Located on the south side of the causeway; "5th Ave, Bridge". It's not fancy and pretty with a lot of frills. Just real honest good food for a fair price prepared and served by real people.

• Visited March 2012