“A place to call home :-)”

Sunshine Cozy Cottages
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I moved to Florida all the way from Seattle, our golden retriever and cat in tow. We were looking for a place to call home for a month while we searched for a more permanent rental in the area. Pet friendly rentals are hard enough to come by let alone at reasonable rates and in the middle of high season! We were delighted when we found Sunshine Cozy Cottages and felt immediately relaxed the night we moved in. Our cabin was well appointed complete with furnishings and the space we needed to settle in with our pets. Being directly across the street from the gulf beaches with access in two minutes was a huge plus! *Please note: no dogs are allowed on the nearby gulf beach, but there are plenty of dog friendly inlets, parks and causeways with water access within two miles or less. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance, a post office, drug store, and great local people who were friendly and helpful. The folks who manage the cottages are wonderful; whenever we needed anything all we had to do was ask. This stretch of cabins provides a sense of community but it's also private - you have your own little "home" away from home with management who are on the property and always available to accommodate! This is a great alternative to a hotel with public beach access across the street, it's pet friendly and affordable. We just moved into our new home a few miles away and miss our Sunshine cabin...we hope to be back or send our friends and family there when they come to visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Kate P

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is the third year myself and husband and our dog have come to Sunshine Cozy Cottages. We travel by car over 2500 miles just to come here each season. Last year we spent 4 months in a one bedroom cottage and this year we have a two bedroom. People need to understand this is not the Ritz and if you are looking for someplace like that then this is not it. However, these are cozy older cottages that take us back to when we were children and enjoyed the simple pleasures in life. We don't mind the scratches and dents and a little dust. These are cottages from days long gone by. We have never had any issues when we asked Chuck or Denise for something. We have needed things repaired and it was done immediately....This is the beach. Sit back, enjoy the porch and stroll to the beach, what more could one ask for. We will be back again next year for 3 months. The price is right and location can't be beat.
Linda and Tom Perez (and Cheech)
St. George Utah.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank utahchic57119
chuckwinirb, Manager at Sunshine Cozy Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thanks for the kind words Linda & Tom, we love having you (and Cheech) here.

I wanted to take this opportunity to address the issue of dust and any other concerns in the area of housekeeping. Great news – as of mid-February 2014, Andrea is back, our awesome Housekeeper/Supervisor from 2010 – 2012. She’s the best, and is responsible for creating our reputation for cleanliness since Denise and I arrived here in 2010.

Look for her smiling face on our website soon (if she’ll let me take her picture) along with more detailed photos of each cottage.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was our 4th Stay at Sunshine Cozy Cottages and it just gets better every time. Chuck and Denise make you feel welcome and make sure the cottage is clean and comfortable. Being directly across the street from the Beach is fantastic and there are plenty of restaurants in walking distance. The field in the middle of the property is great for sunning and Frisbee. We grilled dinner everyday and ate outside on the front porch of our cottage. The cottage was decorated with interesting nick nacks and everything we needed to cook and relax.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jack W
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived at our cozy cottage to find a filthy dingy cottage, not cozy by any stretch of the imagination. My friend and I arrive late in the evening and were told the key would be under the doormat which it was.
I spent roughly 15 mins inside which was long enough for us to figure out that it was very dirty and in need of some serious repair. I booked other accommodation rather that stay there one night.

We had booked on the strength of Tripadvisor revues, that was a huge mistake
I

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ian8992
chuckwinirb, Manager at Sunshine Cozy Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Ian8992 is the partner of Laurie K below. They stayed here for a month or so, and I understand their disappointment and wish that they simply communicated their issues to me when they arrived, and I would have done everything possible to make things right. For starters I would have refunded their cleaning fee and had their bathroom scrubbed head-to-toe for them immediately, even put in a new faucet (which has been done) and even a new floor if that’s what it took to make them comfortable. They would have felt much better about their bathroom throughout their time here, and they of course could still write their reviews here.

All that being said, I have taken their comments to heart, and we have changed our operating basis on housekeeping. It’s not okay to have housekeeping lapses. We were very lucky when we first got here in 2010 to have a phenomenal housekeeper who needed no supervision, and since she moved on we’ve come to the realization that finding another “non-professional” cleaner like her is a long shot. Since Denise and I arrived, we have always hired local moms – i.e. non-professionals to do the cleaning. We are now, (February 2014) using interim housekeepers and are in the process of hiring a professional cleaning service for a long-term solution. More importantly I have stepped up to a major degree my inspections, and in the process am making it very clear to the cleaners what the standard has to be with every detail.

We make it a practice to leave a checklist/survey for the guests to fill out on their last day here. We get suggestions and find out from the guests what they feel needs to be improved, and this is extremely helpful, but lack of cleanliness has almost never been an issue – you can see from the reviews here on Trip Advisor that we have maintained a reputation for cleanliness over the years. So many glowing reviews and a great housekeeper can make one complacent, and as Ian and Laurie point out we let our quality slip – I owe it to Ian and Laurie K (and frankly another guest who came to us directly) for giving us the kick needed to make sure that future guests are not disappointed when they arrive. I will be posting new detailed pictures of each cottage on our site and as many as I can here on Trip Advisor including bathroom close-ups, and you will have my personal guarantee that your cottage will look like the picture or better and be as clean as you expect and deserve it to be. And as I tell guests when they arrive, if anything at all is not right with the cottage, please tell me right away and we will do everything we possible can to make it right. We are a small, “mom and pop” business, and we are not perfect, but one thing we are is customer-oriented all the way. You enjoying your time here is our main focus, and we’ll do whatever possible to make your stay here a great one.

Chuck Weiss
Manager

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at Sunshine Cozy Cottages for a month and had a great experience. The Cottages are directly across the street from Indian Rocks Beach and just a few blocks from restaurants and services.

The units themselves are quaint and well equipped. This is the second time we've stayed there and again it was an excellent experience.

I would highly recommend Sunshine Cozy Cottages. And the best part is how affordable....units close by that are on the beach are almost double the price !!

Looking forward to our next stay !!

Room Tip: We would suggest a unit away from the street for quieter experience.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daniel R
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed from Dec.7/13- Jan.8/14
The GOOD: Owners are very nice and approachable. They had laundry facilities on site although the machines had seen better days. Our cottage décor was super cute. The one next door not so much; dark, dingy and dirty. It was right across the street from the beach so easy access; less than a minute to get there. We have 2 small dogs and it was great for them. Chuck set us up so both entrances to the porch were gated so we could let them out there without worry. The off-leash park was 2 blocks away, but wasn't great because it was mostly big dogs there, just like at home, so we didn't go that often. Location was central to explore St Pete's and Clearwater. Indian Rocks beach was very quiet; not many people except on weekends.

The BAD: These cottages are located right on Gulf Blvd. so there is a lot of traffic and quite noisy...pretty much all the time. If you are looking for a quiet setting this isn't it. There are not a lot of restaurants within walking distance. These cottages are old and run down and in need of some TLC. There are no screens on any of the windows so unless you leave your doors open, no fresh air. There was no range hood so the cottage tended to get pretty stinky from cooking even bacon and eggs. Required lots of Febreeze! The A/C unit in the bedroom was so noisy any normal person would have problems sleeping in there. I wear ear plugs so not an issue for me personally.

The UGLY: The bathroom was disgustingly dirty and in a state of disrepair. I thought my foot would go through the floor at any time. While I realize these are all old cottages, there is no excuse for filth and mould. There are years of pee stains around the toilet and mouldy caulking in the tub. My husband didn't even want to shower in there and both of us wore shoes while in the bathroom. If someone spent a couple of hours in there to really clean around the toilet and sink faucet and re-caulk the tub, it would have been better. The bath mat and toilet mat were placed in a garbage bag upon our arrival and put outside as they smelled really bad of pee.

We are a couple in our mid-50's. We had fun exploring the area.
We would not recommend this accommodation to anyone we know.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Laurie K
chuckwinirb, Manager at Sunshine Cozy Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

First a correction - Denise & I are on-site Property Managers, not the owners. We have been here since July of 2010, and have done a LOT of fix-up and remodeling. These are 14 eighty-plus-year-old wood cottages and need continuous attention. We keep our rates very low, so most guests do understand that there are things like no range hoods and scratches and dents.

As far as restaurants you can walk to, I don't believe the reviewer is being fair. The following well-reviewed Indian Rocks Beach restaurants are all within 6 blocks, most of them closer: Crabby Bill's, PJ's Oyster Bar, Kooky Coconut, Jimmy Guana's, Slyce Pizza Bar, Pajano's Pizza, Aqua Prime Seafood and Steaks, Jake's Cantina, Villa Gallace (italian), JD's Restaurant and Bar, IRB Sushi, Los Mexicanos, and of course Lighthouse Donuts (and bagels). As for road noise, we are situated on the main drag - Gulf Blvd, as are most of the hotels here - that's where the beach is. It is quieter here at Indian Rocks Beach than many other areas of the Beach, as it is more residential and Gulf Blvd is only one lane in each direction, as opposed to places like Madiera Beach, Treasure Island and Redington Beach where there is a 4-lane road.

Many of the cottages have window screens, some do not but we have retractable screens that can be placed in an open window. The cottage these guests were in did not have them, but they can be had upon asking. I will take the feedback to heart however and make sure every cottage has them going into the future. Another thing that I will always handle is a noisy or ineffective air conditioner. There are several dozen window air conditioners here, and if it gets to the point where a guest feels that it is not cooling well enough or is noisy, I'll replace it within a day. I tell guests when they check in to let me know right away if there is anything in need in the cottage, not to wait till the end.

As far as bathroom cleanliness, I'm not in in a position to argue with the reviewer about that, as I didn't see what they were alluding to at the time. We have a competent housekeeper, who of course does a full cleaning of the cottage between guests. Toilet mats are always laundered, and I do the inspections myself, especially around the toilets. Bathrooms are cleaned with a bleach-based cleaner to combat mold and treated with mold inhibitor between all guests, but although I re-caulk on a regular basis, that shower has a seam that is discolored, and needs to be painted, which will be done as a result of this feedback. I inspect 95% of the time after our housekeeper, but it is possible that I wasn't able to on this occasion, and it was less than our usual standard. I'll take responsibility for that, but I can say that the bathroom gets a thorough cleaning between guests, and in 3 1/2 years I have never had, besides one complaint about the tub in cottage #16 needing upgrading, a guest complain on a feedback sheet (which we give to guests before checkout) or to me verbally about the bathroom being dirty. We're still learning, and feedback is the key to improvement, but cleanliness is #1 and we will use this to improve. I'll use this feedback as well to convince the owner to put in a new bathroom floor, as that floor is from before we arrived. Most of the bathroom floors have been redone since we've been here. With any luck this one should be done within the next few weeks.

As a final note, the cottage the reviewer said was dark and dingy and dirty is one of our most requested and well-reviewed ones. It has the original heart pine wood walls, which many people love, so is darker than the ones like the reviewer was in that are painted white.

-Chuck Weiss, Property Manager

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed again at Sunshine Cozy Cottages and loved it even more this time! It is just across the street from one of America's most beautiful beaches, and the cottages are the perfect place for rest and relaxation after play in the sand! The cottages are set up around a courtyard, which has picnic tables and barbecues so you can really feel at home. Each cottage has a fully stocked kitchen. The cottages are clean and comfy and just quaint enough to make it so easy to kick back and relax. Right on Gulf Blvd makes the cottages a convenient place to stay for vacation or while in town for work or house hunting or whatever! Very affordable.

Room Tip: All cottages are conveniently located and quiet at night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank lukay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Rocks Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clear...
#2 of 5 in Indian Rocks Beach
Prestige Collection Harbourside at Marker 33
Prestige Collection Harbourside ...
#4 of 5 in Indian Rocks Beach
#70 of 98 in Clearwater
Sun Burst Inn
Sun Burst Inn
#1 of 1 in Indian Shores

Been to Sunshine Cozy Cottages? Share your experiences!