“A great find in a quiet location on the beach!”
Review of Great Heron Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Indian Rocks Beach
Great Heron Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first saw this small, old motel despite choosing it because of Tripadvisor reviews. However, it was a nice personal touch that the office left me a personal note at the office which was closed when I arrived informing me of my room location and left the key for me. When I walked in the room it was so spacious and homey with a sofa, recliner, and couple of chairs that lead into a full kitchen. The bedroom was simple with a double bed and single and a simple bathroom painted a pretty peach color. Everything looked very clean and the kitchen had everything but food. They have a small pool and their own blue heron that hangs out in the mornings there, and lots of lounge chairs on deck with several plastic adirondack chairs in the sand. It was a short walk to the beach which was nice and wide with lots of shells to collect! The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed talking with the owner a few times. There are a few restaurants within walking distance, a CVS, ice-cream shop, bike rentals, and even more restaurants and stores just a few miles across the bridge. If you're looking to get away to somewhere quiet, away from crowds on a nice beach at a great price, this is the place for you! I just have a couple suggestions to the owner, although the mattress was plenty comfortable, nicer bedsheets would make it even better! Also, the AC unit next door was a bit loud at night. In conclusion, I can see why this motel has so many repeat customers!

Room Tip: Stayed on second level which we enjoyed the view but if you have trouble getting luggage up the stai...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank CandaceJoy

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

This motel has been around for a while but is it very clean, very quiet on the beach. Most friendly staff. Nice suites with all amenities.
Washer dryer available on site. Full kitchen. Again VERY CLEAN nice place to stay. If we come back to Indian Rocks we would not hesitate to stay here. Nice pool, plenty of parking, beach towel, beach chairs.
Well worth it

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yves P
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I've stayed at the Heron Inn at least 3 times. I've stayed in one of their 1 bedrooms and I've stayed in their 3 bedroom a couple times. Though it has been a number of years since I've stayed there (back in '09), I felt that I should still write a review. I have to say the times I stayed in the 3 bedroom apartment were some of the best vacations I've ever had. The views of the beach from the back door and the views of the intercoastal from the front balcony are just breathtaking. It's one if the few places where you can enjoy both bodies of water from the same place. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea Z
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We returned to the Great Heron Inn the end of January for one week. The weather was great. It is right on the Gulf with nice beach. The staff is more than helpful, friendly and eager to please. Of course we had our daily visit at the pool from the resident heron. The rooms are large, clean and the kitchen is well stocked. Minutes from everything and within walking distance of several places to eat and shop. Looking forward to escaping the snow next January.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank dwipeone
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My family and I have been coming here for 3 years now in Spring. Our family has a variety of people ranging from Dad, who like to walk to beach, bike & cook out; Sister & her family, who enjoy playing on the beach & swimming in the pool; and me, who likes to drink and go out to the bars after laying out all day. Bars are within walking distance and JD's has a 8am-6pm happy hour! Bike/jet ski rentals are within walking distance. If you'd like to spend the day in Clearwater, the Trolley pickup location is just a few steps away and is very cheap! The staff has always been super kind to us and we really enjoy our time spent at Great Heron Inn! Looking forward to returning March 22!

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom is awesome, because you have a balcony on both sides which allows you to see the Gulf...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Tiffany L
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Right on a pristine white sand beach, perfect sunsets, clean and comfortable room, night life and good food just down the street. They took great care of us. And . . . The Great Heron really does come every morning!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julesofthemile
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I decided to take a chance on a locally-owned hotel instead of the Holiday Inn down the street, and we were thrilled! The staff was friendly and you can't ask for a better location - you can walk down the stairs from your room and the beach is RIGHT THERE. Within walking distance, there are several local restaurants, cafes, ice cream places, a CVS, and other things. We only went in the car to go to my parents' house.

Like most beach properties in the St. Petersburg area, the hotel is a bit older (I'm not sure when it was built but I would guess the late 70's or early 80's). For its age though, it is very nice. I really didn't think about it the whole trip. We had every modern convenience despite the age - the shower had a nice head and good pressure, and there was plenty of furniture in our 1 bedroom gulf-front room. For $110 in the offseason, you get a living room, kitchenette (fully stocked!), bathroom, and bedroom. That is incredible value.

Our only complaint is that the mattresses were rather stiff and difficult to sleep on. Also, we also ended up with a double bed and twin bed, which were a bit on the small side - but, to be fair, we didn't try requesting a room with a queen or king size beforehand. Other rooms might be different, I'm not sure.

Some kind of locked gate to the hotel proper would have been nice, too -- the way it's set up now, anyone off the street can walk through the hotel hallways and even go in the pool. I saw a couple "creepy beach people" walking through the hotel on our last night (one was just passing through to access the beach, the other hung around and stared at the pool for a while. Weird.)

I grew up in Largo and Indian Rocks, and I'd say that this has to be the best value you're going to find in the area. Great staff, location, and amenities - what more can you ask for?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank writingjackal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Rocks Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clear...
#2 of 5 in Indian Rocks Beach
Belleair Beach Resort
Belleair Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Belleair Beach
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilto...
#1 of 6 in North Redington Beach

Been to Great Heron Inn? Share your experiences!