“Great burgers but ...”

Col. Mustard's Phat Burgers
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Let me start off by saying their signature burgers are well worth a visit. But I've been at lots of non-chain places with equally great burgers at comparable prices.

The Colonel's place falls a little short in a few areas.

At their prices, I should be able to get table service i.e. I sit down and they take my order. But here, it is "order at the counter" like at a mess hall, "here is your cup for your soft drink", and pay up front. Sorry, Colonel, 3 demerits.

As mentioned, I think their burgers are great. Toasted buns would have helped because the burgers are greasy and toasting keeps the bun from becoming soggy. I didn't taste the fries but they didn't look any better than the frozen ones (but I am not sure they are). I like a place that has the skin-on and look (and taste) like fresh cut. We did try the onion rings and they were just ordinary.

They do bring your food and bus your table which is nice. But, when paying by credit card (they charge you up front), the receipt shows a place for a tip. I resent restaurants that do that because you don't know what service you will actually be getting nor how good it will be yet you feel pressured to put a tip on the receipt. I think it is a bad habit among most restaurants that make you order at the counter(except ones with no tipping like fast food places). At least the Colonel's soldiers did provide service after the fact.

One unusual feature for this type of place is that it's not all plastic forks and paper plates. The soft drinks were in foam cups but the burgers were on real plates with metal knives.

The place has the look of a fast food establishment with little personality except for the photos of guys who ate their monster burger and finished it earning their pic on the wall.

And yet another place with a TV but no closed captioning so there was no way to tell what the people were saying. Minor issue for a place like this as you don't hang around long enough for it to matter unlike sports bars that almost always leave off the captions.

Since I rate restaurants based on their type (i.e. a place like this can get a top rating while a fancy sit-down restaurant can be rated lower) based on comparable cuisine, service, atmosphere and prices, I gave it a 3/5. The Colonel won't get promoted if I have a choice.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a good place to have a good burger with real meat. I also like their onion rings. The place seems very popular. We will go back again.

2  Thank Minouska
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The burgers are awesome! It's rare to find a good burger that is cooked to perfection, but we found it here at Col. Mustard's. Truly fresh, custom burgers, so you need to be patient.
Skip the chili-cheese fries - they're just "okay". But they are a good appetizer while you wait for your burger to be cooked fresh.

1  Thank Paula M
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Long wait , but worth it. They cook everything fresh , I suggest calling in order, so it will be waiting when you get there!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stopped in to see how this place was and hit pay dirt. The burger was great, the service friendly and patient, and the various standard burgers added to the unlimited customization ensures everyone has something for them. The atmosphere is fun and relaxed.

Will be back again and again.

2  Thank TwinCs