“Southside location - worst Customer Service”

Col. Mustard's Phat Burgers
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
“Southside location - worst Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have been counting down the days until this place opened (corner of Philips and Baymeadows). I've heard they are delicious and couldn't wait. What a disappointment right from the start... Never mind the lack of clean tables and the shabby sign stating the establishment is currently closed on weekends. Never mind the smell of turpentine or paint. It's a new place and I'm really forgiving.

The line as backed up, so a young lady took my order. I could tell she was overwhelmed because she was slightly abrupt and struggled with writing my order. Due to the lack of vegetarian options (it's a burger place, for crying out loud), I asked for a cheesesteak without the meat (I love amoroso rolls, cheese and veggies..) No where, I repeat, no where, has ever had difficulty with my orders because A) I never ask for a discount due to not having meat, and B) my lack of meat means they save supplies and money (I have friends in the biz, I know this to be true).

I get up to order. The lady plugging in my order read back my order, and ignored the no meat thing... So I asked her to hold the meat. She literally made scoffed, copped an attitude, and reacted so unprofessionally that the person behind me made a comment regarding her response. Never mind that I saw her joking with her coworkers about the meal (and yes, I could hear her, so I am not inferring). As someone who tends to avoid meat, I tend to get some ridicule, but it was disappointing to have it blatantly shown in a restaurant by staff...

Now here's the kicker. I waited over 45 minute for my sandwich. My friend received her wrap after 25 minutes, I had my fries after 30. Everyone else who came after us came and left. But, the meal of bread, cheese, onions, and green peppers was still cooking? Finally, they handed this gentleman a sandwich and after a number of minutes he flipped out and created a scene about the kitchen being awful and making the server girl (the original one, see above), cry in the bathroom because they kept messing up his order. He pushed the sandwich onto the table and demanded his money back.

Well, no dinner but at least a show.

THEN, they picked up his sandwich, which had been sitting there over 5 minutes on his table and then the counter and said, "oh that's the meatless sandwich!" They proceeded to give it to me.

I have never, ever in my entire life asked for my money back. I refused the sandwich (it was up to 55 minutes by now) and requested my money back.

The fries were good. My friend said her wrap was good. But, I can honestly say I will never return.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Heatherlyq

“Great burgers but ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Let me start off by saying their signature burgers are well worth a visit. But I've been at lots of non-chain places with equally great burgers at comparable prices.

The Colonel's place falls a little short in a few areas.

At their prices, I should be able to get table service i.e. I sit down and they take my order. But here, it is "order at the counter" like at a mess hall, "here is your cup for your soft drink", and pay up front. Sorry, Colonel, 3 demerits.

As mentioned, I think their burgers are great. Toasted buns would have helped because the burgers are greasy and toasting keeps the bun from becoming soggy. I didn't taste the fries but they didn't look any better than the frozen ones (but I am not sure they are). I like a place that has the skin-on and look (and taste) like fresh cut. We did try the onion rings and they were just ordinary.

They do bring your food and bus your table which is nice. But, when paying by credit card (they charge you up front), the receipt shows a place for a tip. I resent restaurants that do that because you don't know what service you will actually be getting nor how good it will be yet you feel pressured to put a tip on the receipt. I think it is a bad habit among most restaurants that make you order at the counter(except ones with no tipping like fast food places). At least the Colonel's soldiers did provide service after the fact.

One unusual feature for this type of place is that it's not all plastic forks and paper plates. The soft drinks were in foam cups but the burgers were on real plates with metal knives.

The place has the look of a fast food establishment with little personality except for the photos of guys who ate their monster burger and finished it earning their pic on the wall.

And yet another place with a TV but no closed captioning so there was no way to tell what the people were saying. Minor issue for a place like this as you don't hang around long enough for it to matter unlike sports bars that almost always leave off the captions.

Since I rate restaurants based on their type (i.e. a place like this can get a top rating while a fancy sit-down restaurant can be rated lower) based on comparable cuisine, service, atmosphere and prices, I gave it a 3/5. The Colonel won't get promoted if I have a choice.

• Visited January 2014
Gilroy, California
“Good burgers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a good place to have a good burger with real meat. I also like their onion rings. The place seems very popular. We will go back again.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Minouska
Cumming, Georgia, United States
“YUMMY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The burgers are awesome! It's rare to find a good burger that is cooked to perfection, but we found it here at Col. Mustard's. Truly fresh, custom burgers, so you need to be patient.
Skip the chili-cheese fries - they're just "okay". But they are a good appetizer while you wait for your burger to be cooked fresh.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Paula M
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Long wait , but worth it. They cook everything fresh , I suggest calling in order, so it will be waiting when you get there!

Visited September 2013