“The worst bartender I have ever seen”
Review of Taste Food Studio - CLOSED

Taste Food Studio
Cuisines: Contemporary
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Other than the band this place is one of the worst service restaurants I have ever visited. Bartender seemed to be under the influence of something other than booze. The manager could have cared less and just sat in the kitchen.. Do not ever visit this place.

1  Thank tonyw917

Reviewed 16 December 2013

One look at Taste from the outside and you might think you are in for a wine bar type of experience. The T in Taste in their outside sign is in the shape of a corkscrew. Pretty cool. Additionally, you might think hip, trendy, wine bar with good food. Part of the E in taste has a fork running through it. The outdoor patio area, with bar looks sharp and classy. A review of their menu on-line also suggest, good eats. Lots of small plates, flatbread pizzas and some larger plates, to boot.

Needless to say, I was terribly disappointed in my entire experience.

I will start with the only highlight, the service. My server was great. Polite, conversational, personable, down-to Earth. And even good natured when she had to put on the corset. More about that later.

When I walked in, the cavernous space was a bit disjointed. Almost uncertain as to what it wants to be. I was offered a table, booth or seat at the bar. I opted for a seat at the bar. When I walked around to the bar, there was a large bar, but no seats. Odd. So I took a two seat high top. The high top was in need of some love. Or at least a tablecloth. The wooden top was scratched, stained and weathered. Not something I wanted to rest any utensils on. I also was informed why there were no seats at the bar.

Before I even get to the food and wine, it is imperative to highlight the low point of the evening. It turns out they were hosting a corporate holiday party. Taste needs to decide if they are going to be a restaurant, banquet hall or nightclub. While I was there. They attempted to be all three. Unsuccessfully. When the first stretch Escalade pulled up and the cavalcade of inappropriately dressed people paraded on in, I knew this would not end well. The previously serene restaurant quickly filled with loud, corporate types who would most likely regret a thing or two come Monday. When the DJ started spewing out ear splitting, teeth chattering noise (he did not play music, it was noise), it went from bad to worse. Despite the best efforts of my valiant server, she had to fully turn her attention to the masses. If anyone remotely affiliated with Taste read this, close your restaurant to the public when you host a party of this scale. You are ill-equipped nor suited to stay open to the public as a full service restaurant and throw a corporate party. Especially with a DJ filling the air with noise pollution. It was a good thing I was alone, it would have been impossible to carry on a conversation. As evidenced by everyone yelling at each other. The icing on the cake was when my server disappeared for a period of time only to return with a new bartender. They both had been stuffed inside corsets that accentuated quite a bit. Appropriate perhaps for a Vegas nightclub or strip joint, but not a fine dining restaurant. Taste has no identity.

Back to the food and wine.

My server came over and was, as I noted, the high point. I ordered a cocktail while I reviewed the wine list and menu. The wine list, which I did not find on-line, was disappointingly pedestrian. Predominantly domestic and not even unique or exciting domestics. The sprinkling of old world wines were rather common place. The corkscrew T in Taste was not living up to its marketing brand.

I had a Sauvignon Blanc which was not at the proper temperature and was lacking substance and character. After one glass, I switched to Hob Nob pinot noir. A very common and average French pinot. I stayed with that the rest of the evening.

I ordered a vegetable flatbread and house salad. The salad came out first. It was bright, vibrant and visually appealing. Very fresh ingredients and not a piece of iceberg lettuce to be found. What made it rather pedestrian was the all too common balsamic vinaigrette. It was the lesser of the evils among the ranch, blue cheese and honey mustard options. Taste needs to do better in that space. Create and make your own dressings. Despite the freshness of the salad, it was, overall, minimally exceptional.

The vegetable flatbread continued the disappointment. The crust was too thick for flatbread, it was too doughy and the toppings uninspiring. The drizzle of, get this, balsamic, was the death blow.

The overall experience was disappointing and I will not go back. I was really intrigued by the menu and would have also liked to try several of the small plates like the truffle fries. But the night club atmosphere, mediocre food and bland wine list makes for a one and done despite the efforts of the server.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I did not read the reviews before going to this restaurant, and after doing so now I can see they still have work to do on wait staff and kitchen training. My husband and I decided to try Taste last Friday because we had a coupon for BOGO entree. For a Friday night it was very empty.

The hostess was very friendly and seated us promptly. Our waiter showed up shortly after we were seated and gave us a "tour" of the menu. He then went away to bring us waters and a beer for my husband. I had noted online that they offered a prosciutto and fig flatbread (one of my fav combos), but on the menu it was listed as prosciutto and tomato. I asked if the fig combo was still available and was told "we just just changed our menus yesterday, so let me check if we are still able to make that." Perfect. It was confirmed that I the prosciutto/fig combo was possible and so I ordered that, while my husband ordered the da Vinci burger.

When our orders came, the burger was missing the fried egg (which is listed as included on the restaurant menu, but not online); and my flatbread was missing the fig. We got the fried egg on a separate plate - the waiter stated that he took the burger before the order was completed. I didn't bother asking about the fig again as I was unimpressed by this point. I also had to wait (and wait, and wait) for a plate to eat my meal, because the waiter stopped on his way back to our table to continue a conversation with some customers that appeared to be friends of his. I finally got the plate because I kept turning my head to look at him. The food was decent all things considered.

During our meal, the hostess came by and asked us to complete a comment card and share ideas on how they could improve the customer experience. So it seems like there is a will to improve. I think I would only go back here if I had another coupon and/or began to see better reviews for the restaurant as a whole. It's a great location, I hope they can make it work.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Went for Wine Down Wednesday Happy Hour with 5 friends. Good time! Looks pretty much like Urban Flatts did, still. (which was the former venue) They offered a Self Serve bar of white and red wines only, and an appetizer spread (flat breads, cheese, crackers, warm spinach dip with chips) for 17$. I had the Thai Chicken Lettuce wraps for about 8$ and they were delicious. All of the drinks from 4-7 were BOYO, and the wine down wednesday lasted until 9pm. Good time, will be back for another happy hour.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

The best lobster bisque soup I've ever eaten. Everything was very fresh and well prepared; the hummus is excellent. There was live entertainment on a Friday evening that we thoroughly enjoyed.