“A great place to hold a wedding”

Casa Marina Hotel and Restaurant
St. Augustine, Florida
“A great place to hold a wedding”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Casa Marina is a small Historic Hotel with an incredible staff. I stayed in a suite which gave me room to spread out. The wi-fi worked perfectly and the food was outstanding. The Penthouse (restaurant and bar) has an awesome view of the beach and killer martinis.

The wedding tent was up and I could easily imagine an intimate ceremony and reception in the courtyard.

Room Tip: Get a suite if possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I visited Casa Marina for their Sunday brunch. The atmosphere at the restaurant was excellent because it was neither crowded nor was it loud. The cloth napkins and tablecloths were clean and stain-free while the glasses were crystal clear and the silverware was very shiny. Our server did an outstanding job and everyone was really friendly.
The buffet had several items that were really good:
1. Cooked to order omelet station with a variety of add-ins
2. Belgian waffles with strawberries and other toppings
3. Hummus with pita bread or crackers
4. Artichoke salad with pasta
5. Desserts were very good. The dark chocolate cake with mousse filling was absolutely mind-blowing and the cheesecake, carrot cake and golden raisin bread pudding were also over the top good.
Room for improvement:
1. Prime rib was cold and did not have a good flavor
2. Pecan encrusted Tilapia was dry
3. Macaroni and cheese was very dry and not cheesy
4. Bacon was like the generic microwave ready kind
5. Eggs Benedict was a poached egg on a crab cake and tasted just like an egg on a crab cake and was not cohesive
6. Gravy for the biscuits was a thin sour cream style
7. Grits were lumpy and lacking flavor

The breakfast portion is definitely not a Southern breakfast style and the menu on-line may differ from what is actually served. A little pricey for the amount of choices and quality but romantic and serene at the same time.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kerry500
Orange Park
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Stayed at the Casa Marina for Thanksgiving. It was amazing!!! The ambiance of days gone by and the rich history the building itself held was breath taking. Chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries awaited us in our room along with a spectacular view of the ocean. The Thanksgiving buffet was absolutely impeccable and the staff, Management, Bartenders, Servers and Housekeeping went out of their way to see to my every need. Remembered my name even after the hustle and bustle, right up to check out. I would LIVE at the Casa Marina if at all possible! Heartfelt Thank you to all of the staff at the Casa!!!!

JCarter - Orange Park, FL

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JCarter C
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Spent a weekend at the hotel for a family wedding. Upon entering the "penthouse bar" a rough and tumble bouncer gave everyone a hard time to get in (btw: this was a 40 something wedding). After settling, I approached the bar to order 5 drinks for friends. Ad it was loud( too loud for such a small crowd) a bat patron gave me slot of hassle as I ordered. Upon returning to the bar for a second round, the same Patron did not like me ordering over his back. I told him I would be home in one minute and apologized for his trouble. He them grabbed my tie, strangled my with it and then slapped me. Each bartender saw the incident and layer stated that I was the most likely instigator of the issue. Wow! I've bartender for 6 years before my profesional career and rule #1 was remove the instigator. I spent $400 dollars on room, food and drink for one night of the worst travel and hotel experience of my life!!! The issue is not the facility but the people who ate their to protect and respect the sanctity of 4+ star accommodations. Do not expect this as soon as the sun goes down it's complete anarchy. Boooooooooo!!!

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank Russianhands
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This place is Awful!! The rooms are dark and dirty (don't know how long ago these pics were taken but look nothing like our room) Our shoes stuck to the carpet and the furniture was really uncomfortable. We even found old food and candy under the furniture when we were making sure we had everything before checkout. The noise level is unbearable, especially in rooms near the front entrance and bar entrance from both inside and out. Walls are paper thin and you may then wish you were hearing the bar noise. Ok if you want a party hotel, but for the price of the suite (which I use the term loosely) , you would be better off to go get a really nice room at the Marriott....and still maybe have some money to spare!! Not the place to be if you want a relaxing weekend/stay. You will go home with a bad back and bags under your eyes from lack of sleep. Only redeeming things were that the wedding/reception/food were good. Should have stayed somewhere else and driven over for the festivities.

It is said to be haunted but even the ghosts have moved on due to the noise!!!
Only single party animals would probably be happy staying here. This place is historical but has not fared well. They need to decide what to be when they grow up. Trying miserably to be classy while trying to make money off the rowdy bar crowd. Shouldn't charge upscale rates (when it is definitely not) and then sell out to the party crowd at the expense of your guests.

Room Tip: only a couple of rooms have a window view of ocean. stay on opposite end of stairs to 3rd floor bar...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank criticallysweet
Florida
Reviewed 23 October 2011

The Sunday Brunch is fabulous! Probably one of the nicest, well stocked, cleanest brunch buffet's I've ever seen. Our seating host was delightful, I think his name was Sinclair and he remembered to wish my husband Happy Birthday, which was the purpose of our visit. Unfortunately our waiter greeted us, brought our coffee and mimosa's and then we barely saw him. We had to ask 2 other wait staff fill our coffee, water or clear our plates even though we could see our waiter taking care of others, this was disappointing, especially since it was not a full house on this day and we were there for a special occasion. Also, the omelet & carving chef, though he made a really good omelet, was kinda gruff and not terribly personable. That said, this is a beautiful brunch with a fabulous variety of breakfast, lunch & desserts (yummy)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FLAnywhere
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This hotel is much better online than in reality, but I'm giving it a "very good" because of the character and history of the hotel. Don't go if you want room service or other frills, but go to eat at their rooftop restaurant/bar, and enjoy the pictures in the staircase showing past pictures of the hotel and its inhabitants. I think it's supposed to be haunted, and it is interesting, but there's not much in the area if you want to walk places. You'll end up in Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach.

There was a wedding there when we were there so it was more crowded than usual. Rooms are clean, old fashioned and interesting. Not much sound barrier between the walls, so a tad noisy (then again, could have been the wedding guests). Food "ok" but expensive for the place I thought. Overall, interesting.

Room Tip: Go for the history, but not for any frills
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D Dawn K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Casa Marina Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!