“Beautiful, healthy way to spend a few hours”
Review of Riverbend Park

Riverbend Park
Ranked #3 of 66 things to do in Jupiter
More attraction details
Owner description: AMENITIES fishing (freshwater) parking Equestrian Parking is available at the park. All vehicles and trailers must be out of the parking area when the park closes. picnic chickees, single table - available on a first-come, first-served basis (vehicular access limited to picnic chickees located on Picnic Island; otherwise access through hiking or biking) picnic pavilions - available on a first-come, first-served basis (no vehicular access to picnic areas - access through hiking or biking) East Grove Picnic Area sits 20-30 people, barbeque grill available Big Hammock Picnic Area sits 20-30 people, barbeque grill available Cow Pen Picnic Area sits 35-45 people, barbeque grill available 8 small individual picnic shelters with grills available picnic pavilion (River), reserved group (1) - located on Picnic Island (vehicular access) rental concession (closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) bicycle canoe/kayak restrooms, port-o-let - available in key locations throughout the park trails bicycling and hiking/walking trails (nearly 10 miles of compacted shell rock) equestrian trails (nearly 7 miles) waterways (5 miles) LOCATION OF Loxahatchee Battlefield - Second Seminole Indian War, site of Loxahatchee National Wild and Scenic River Ocean-to-Lake Trail (Florida Trail), portion of
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Riverbend is a fantastic, healthy and truly beautiful way to spend a few hours.

During the usually leisurely paddle, you will find yourself under a gorgeous canopy of native flora. On our last trip, we saw many examples of fish, turtles and alligators.

Beware that when the stream is running faster than normal, the return trip up-stream can be challenging.

All reviews
"natural florida"
"walking trails"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I made the mistake of trying Riverbend Park in Jupiter, FL for the first time by myself. I would not recommend ever going there by yourself. I got lost. Did not run into any other people on the trails and there was no one around to ask for directions. They have maps throughout the trails, but they were not helpful and I was scared. It does give you the feeling of being in Florida (the way it used to be).The only wildlife that I saw were 2 ospreys that were on huge trees viewable from the road. I did some research before I went and saw photos of wild turkeys, sandhill cranes, swallow-tail kite, deer, ospreys and hawks but only saw the ospreys, I admit that I didn't go early in the morning and was walking around 1:00 in the afternoon but there needs to be much more direction and assistance there. It is beautiful, but I suggest going with a group of friends orwith an Audubon Society that has a nature guide. Never go alone.,

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were wondering what to do with our free Saturday morning (so glad we came here). The weather had changed and it was finally getting cool in Florida. We have so many beautiful parks and beaches the selection seemed endless, but we were looking for some place close by. I had heard of Riverbend Park, so we decided to go and check it out.
Sometime life gives you a bit of hardships, and we find that getting in touch with nature does us so much good. This park was wonderful, so many beautiful birds, the most wonderful woodpeckers that I have ever seen. We saw gators, and many other kinds of birds. We also saw beautiful horses; some nice ladies were taking a ride and stopped to cool them off at the river’s edge. She said she was riding a Paint quarter horse, what beautiful animals.
The park has a river that many take advantage of by kayaking or canoeing on it. It seems to wind around the park. There was such a nice breeze as we walked under the trees to try to get pictures of some of the birds, trees and plants. It really is a very special place.
It’s incredible that such a wonderful wild place could be right here so close to the city. There were many shaded areas, were you could have a picnic under the trees, or perhaps you can have a nice BBQ and have your lunch under the many picnic pavilions available without reservations.
This beautiful quiet park was such a wonderful experience. We will definitely come back soon with other family members and enjoy a BBQ. “Friends and nature it does not get better than this”.
BWT there are many trail many under shaded areas, other not so much so the earlier you go the better. All seemed wheelchair accessible, only port a potties available. No fee to enter park.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The canoe or kayak trip is a must do. It's one of the last wild rivers without development encroachment left in Florida. The only negative is that I can't take my dog while I jog there. No dogs allowed. Too bad as he's well behaved on a leash.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 September 2013

There are really 2 parts to Riverbend Park- the park itself and the Loxahatchee River.

Riverbend Park is located on the north edge of Palm Beach county and was the site of a major battle in the second Seminole war. There are large grassy areas for picnicking and 5 miles of biking/hiking trails through forest and cypress-filled lakes. The trails are mostly hard-packed gravel, some are paved. During the wet season the lakes are connected by little creeks so you can explore by kayak or canoe. If you come early you might see deer, bobcat, turkeys, otters, alligators, raccoons and other wildlife. On Saturday mornings volunteers give a tour of the battleground area. There is a concession that rents bikes for about $10 for the day, along with canoes and kayaks.

The main reason people come here is to paddle the Loxahatchee River. This natural river meanders through a cypress canopy for 4 miles to Trapper Nelson's homestead, then another 4 miles to Jonathan Dickinson State Park and then to the ocean. The upper part of the river has some of the most amazing scenery in the whole state. The current is light, so most people paddle back upstream to the launch point. It helps to have some paddling skill to navigate the narrow, winding waterway, but that's my opinion. The river has a few alligators and otters, lots of turtles and plenty of fish. It's also very sheltered from the wind, so you can canoe or kayak easily even with 25 mph winds blowing in the treetops. There are 2 dams you have to portage over, the first of which requires some flexibility to get in and out of the boat. It takes about 2 hours to paddle to the 2nd dam and back and 5 hours to go to Trapper Nelson's cabin. Trapper Nelson lived on the river from about 1935-66, living off the land/water. His homestead is now an interactive site. There is a real restroom there too (added later). I have my own kayak and go here at least 4-5 times a year even though it's over an hour's drive away.

1  Thank RogerS1006

Been to Riverbend Park? Share your experiences!