“There is a reason this restaurant is always quiet.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Nippon Sushi Bar & Japanese
Ranked #146 of 217 Restaurants in Jupiter
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 11 November 2013

It's located in a Publix strip mall. Some reviewers like to make that in to a "this a hole in the wall" in appearance but then like to say the food is good. No, it IS a hole in the wall and the food is beyond bad. The wait staff was surly from the start. This part was so offensive that it sounds like comedy, but don't bring your young children to this restaurant. The Hibachi cook was mad because he made extra rice when the waitress forgot to tell him not to. He (and I mean this) slammed the extra plate on the side of the table, flung the rice on it. Also flung the food on the cooking table at my son and intentionally (or maybe he was that poor a cook) undercooked, underseasoned/overseasoned the whole meal. There was no "entertainment" portion of the Hibachi cooking,just an overtly angry cook. My partner said if the Hibachi cook was going to make one more overtly hostile gesture, he would have confronted him. The wait staff repeatedly mis-delivered requests and had to be asked for things (I'd say 5-6 times). We were also absolutely positive the bill was mis-handled and overpriced (significantly over a $100 for a 3 Hibachi meals, 2 cups of tea, two pocky (pretzel sticks) and japanese soda and one soup/one sushi roll -- no alcohol) but we were just so appalled that we paid and left. Incidentally, the price would not have bothered us for a quality meal, and we would gladly have paid that for Ebisu (except we have never had them charge that much). Kind of the ultimate ironic experience. Pay more for a great deal less.

1  Thank Shari E
There are newer reviews for Nippon Sushi Bar & Japanese

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Love this place...always actually quite quiet, but owners are great. Always remember us when we go. I always get the sushi, wife always gets the hibachi. A very good local sushi/hibachi joint. Kids love the japanese soda and the performance at the hibachi tables.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I've had miso in so many Japanese restaurants. Nippon's is the best. I don't know about the overcharging like others have reported as I don't usually check the bill -- my fiancé does. But so far we've never had any problems with charges for tap water or refills. The owner is very friendly and will remember you and chat you up when she can. Very attentive. Their food is nothing to write home about but I don't have complaints either.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was my first time at this restaurant. It seemed pleasant enough. The food was good and the portions were large. I felt like I was nickeled and dimed. When we got the bill, we were not only charged for refills on the soft drinks but were also charged for tap water. I ordered water to drink with my meal. Not bottled water or bubbly water just plain old tap water with ice. I was very surprised that I was charged as if it were a soft drink. Don't mind paying for a meal or a beer if I decided to have one but I felt like they wanted to squeak out every penny. I don't think we will go back.

1  Thank Loriswife
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I took my family to Nippon so that they could experience the fun in Hibachi. There was a very bland chef that cooked our meal. I have been to hibachi restaurants before and usually the chef takes great pride in his/her knife skills. This chef barely spoke to us, no flare in his cooking at all. The portions were big and the food was good.
When I got the check, I was looking it over and I noticed that we were charged $1.75 x2 for 2 glasses of Jupiter tap water. Are you kidding me? Charging for water? Also, this is the only restaurant that I have been to where fountain drinks are charged by the refill. My son had 2 glasses of fountain lemonade and we were charged $1.75 for each of the drinks.
There is no reason for my family to return to this average restaurant and I would not recommend this place for a True Hibachi experience, because that is not what you will get

1  Thank loridee883