“One good visit, one awful one”
Review of Bistro

Ranked #35 of 219 Restaurants in Jupiter
Price range: US$7 - US$45
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ocean Blvd
Description: This quaint neighborhood gem has been established since 2002. Owner operated we specialize in Fresh Market Ingredients, fresh fish, and Hereford Cut Steaks, as well as many comfort dishes, such as Lamb Pie, Fish and Chips, and Liver and Onions. Our Signature dishes are Fresh Dover Sole, Beef Wellington and Lobster Ravioli. Signature desserts are our Grand Marniere or Chocolate Souffles, as well as the best most Authentic Irish Coffee this side of the Atlantic. There are no strangers here only friends who have not met yet.
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had dinner here with another couple on a Monday night (Feb.) and had a very positive experience--good food, good service. On that basis I made a reservation to take our daughter and son-in-law last night (Sat.). Obviously it's a lot more crowded on a Sat.; however, the service was truly awful. We were shown to a table outside and we preferred to be inside. We were told that this was all they had and that there were heaters outside. So we took the table. After a few minutes one of the managers came and just took away the heater and moved it to another table without saying a word to us. When my husband went inside to complain he was told, not very graciously, that we had one heater and didn't need 2. After more than 1 hour, we finally were served our dinner. My son-in-law immediately told our waitress that his was not the steak he'd ordered, but since he didn't want to wait another hour to get the correct steak he said he'd keep this, but that we should be charged for the one he'd ordered (less expensive) and not the one he'd been given. When the check arrived, we'd been charged for the more expensive dish and were also charged for 2 Caesar salads when there was only one. My husband pointed out both errors to the waitress who said she'd take off one salad but not the steak because "he ate it." When we said he didn't want to wait another hour, she said she'd have to check with management. Finally, after a rather long wait, a manager came and said they'd make the adjustment, apologized and offered an after-dinner drink. We declined. This is a rather pricey restaurant--it's good points are that they take reservations, nice menu and very good food, but because of the attitude of the management and the poor service, we cannot recommend it. We'd planned to return next week with friends who are visiting with us, but we will not be doing that.

2  Thank tomsriver1960
bistro2133, Owner at Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

In response to your review.
When your party arrived for dinner. An outside table had been allocated as no preference had been expressed. We have 11 tables outside and an outside bar. We have 13 heaters 1 each for the tables and 2 for the bar. Your husband expressed his preference for not wanting an outside table, but as you mentioned we had a full house and it was 7.30 on the Saturday of Valentines weekend, and we did not have many options left. We try extremely hard to honor all requests for preferences. It is not always possible, and when there were none expressed prior, it can be even more difficult, but we are usually succesful. Your daughter and son in law said they were fine with outside and I suggested you try it as it was under cover and there were outside heaters, and if you didn't like it and anything opened up inside we would try to move you. You accepted and sat on table 70 beside the sliding doors that open to the patio and these sliding doors were open. Table 59 and 60 the adjoining tables are close by and are inside tables. All the outside tables were also seated. There is a permanent heater attached above the table which gives out 40000 btu's of heat. After your party was seated, I was called to table 71 also an outside table beside the bar. one of the heaters propane tank had emptied. We had plenty of replacements, but the connection had seized and we could not open it. As I was trying to resolve that issue. Some patrons that were at the outside bar and using one of the heaters designated for the bar left, which left me I thought in a position to swap those heaters and not interfere with anyone. I went back to the front door not knowing I had inconvenienced your party in any way. A few minutes later your husband stormed in alone and in a raised voice told me "You took MY heater, I asked where he was seated and he told me. I explained that when the people left the bar I swapped that one for the one not functioning, and that there was one above his head for his table. He said "You took my heater without asking me and now Im cold". I said I would never have moved it had I thought it would affect him in a way that upset him so much. Your husband was speaking in a very aggressive way so much so that it turned heads. I was nothing but gracious only explaining I thought it equitable for everyone to have at least one heater rather than some to have 2 and others none. I never raised my voice or changed my tone or was ungracious in any way. I followed him outside again apologizing for any discomfort caused, I was told it was ok. I still continued to search with my Maitre Di for an alternative. Unfortunately there were no unused heaters and no optional tables. With regard to the Steak and the salad. The waiter brought it to managements attention that she ordered the wrong steak, and said your son in law did not want to wait for us to cook a replacement. I told her it was absolutely fine to change the price and we did. The other steak was still on the bill but we overrode the price to match the steak that was ordered. With regard to the salad. We offer a regular size salad or a smaller option. These options are on the menu. When you ask for a split salad the waiter should explain these options and she says she did. The smaller salad is $3 less than the regular. It is not half size just a smaller option, but rather than further your discontent we took one of those salad off and just charged you for 1 small instead of 2. Your entrees arrived at your table 1 hour and 11 minutes after your reservation time but 48 minutes after the food was ordered, and you had appetizers prior. As we cook all our food to order,to preserve the integrity and consistency of the food, and there were steaks on the order. This is a very acceptable length of time, maybe 5-10 minutes more than normal but for such a busy night, certainly within acceptable range. Ownership and Management went to your table to hear and act on all of your concerns, and by way of apology offered your entire party a complimentary after dinner drink, which you declined. It is always our goal to exceed your expectations with food and service quality. We are here to make friends not enemies. You have first hand experience of that from your first visit. We have several table options and try to ask people of there preferences when they make a reservation to help us achieve that. I truly hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you again and again!!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We enjoyed iceberg wedge salad with steak tips; lobster ravioli, the grouper in parchment; the dover sole. Very good dinner. Venue is beautiful and there seem to be an endless stream of servers and wait staff. It was absolutely a crowded Saturday night so we waited probably longer than the price point of the restaurant warrants. Apologies for delays were offered but they seemed half-hearted, as if it couldn't be helped. Quite the place to hob nob with locals.

1  Thank Dons5
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Pleasant, comfortable restaurant for our group of 11. Dinner was good but a bit on the pricey side. Be sure to order the chocolate soufflé-worth the calories!

1  Thank saramana
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We were unable to use the lovely outside seating area, as it as pouring. Once inside the restaurant was warm, pleasant and comfortable. We were quickly seated by someone who went to great pains to be sure we were happy with the table we got. The waiter was efficient, personable and very knowledgeable about the food and the wine list. The food was excellent. All in all, it was an extremely pleasant dinner in a fine dining establishment.

1  Thank Ben C
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have made three trips to Florida in 3 months. I have eaten here each time at least once. If like a dish the first time I order it I am never disappointed if I order it again. The kitchen consistency is what you expect at a top restaurant and is what you get here. Other restaurant owners/managers should stop by and see how good food and good service is done.

3  Thank RockTorre

Been to Bistro? Share your experiences!