“Best beach in area”
Review of American Beach

American Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of nine sites along the African-American Heritage Trail, this area founded in 1935 was Florida's first African-American beach.
Brunswick, Georgia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Best beach in area”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The water was clear and the crowds were missing. The bathrooms are a short drive away so I wouldn't recommend this beach for families with small children.

Visited April 2012

1 Thank 7235892
Jacksonville, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice uncrowded beach that you can drive on”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The sand is soft, so 4x4 is a must. There is a sign that says you need a permit, but there is no obvious place to buy one. The beach is quiet, uncrowded and beautiful.

Visited March 2012
Amelia Island, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Love It”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Breathtaking beach with much history. Never anyone around. You can walk for miles. Birds, shells just great can't say enough

1 Thank chinapalm
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very Friendly People, I love this Beach and I never see a crowd”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I've been going to this Beach every May for about 4 years and I will be going again in May 2012. I misplaced the address of the Lady that I talked to a few years ago and she lives on Lewis Street and grew up in the area. We talked for along time and she was very Helpful. I Metal Detect ( in the Water ) and she would remember me if anyone knows whom I was talking to. please let me know her address. I took her a Gift last year but could not find her, she might be in her late 40's. I park at Burney Park and never had any problems. I was scared the 1st time ,since I didn't see anyone at the Main Entrance to the Beach around Lewis Street where the Metal Plaque used to be on the Building. It's too sandy for me to drive on the beach since I only have a 2 wheel drive. gosports1@aol.com

Visited May 2011