“3.5 Rating - Great Chicken Jerk Sandwich, Overcooked Fries & Chips”
Review of The Ritz Carlton Cafe 4750 - CLOSED

The Ritz Carlton Cafe 4750
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Cafe 4750 is relaxed Southern charm with a menu inspired by regional farms and coastal influences serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had lunch there and as you would expect, the setting is lovely. I loved my Chicken Jerk Sandwich. It was nicely spiced, very moist and just plain delicious. My spouse ordered the Crab Cake Sandwich and wasn't quite as enthusiastic as me, but he liked it. We had two problems with the meal. The fries my spouse ordered ($5.00 extra) and the chips I had (included in price) were so overdone that I'm convinced they were cooked twice, and maybe a day later, but why would they do that? Our second problem is nit-picking, but for a $70 lunch, (we had a beer and a wine) the wait person should have boxed up my leftovers for me, not just hand me the box to do it myself. The wine list is extensive and quite nice, but expensive. (Don't think I saw anything under $11.00 by the glass.) I'm still rating this very good because of my sandwich and because there isn't a 3.5 rating on TripAdvisor.

Jon F, Manager at The Ritz Carlton Cafe 4750, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

CO2girl, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your visit to Cafe 4750. I was dissapointed to hear about the service breakdown you experienced and your disappointment with your French Fries and Potato Chips. I have shared this with the Culinary Team as well as the Cafe Leadership team to identify the root causes. It is feedback like this, that allows us to continuously identify ways to improve the guest experience. Please let me know when you plan to return.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is an extremely convenient place to obtain food/snacks/beverages/etc during a vacation at the RC-AI. Both times I've been to this hotel (around Easter 2014 being the last time), I've noticed that the café provides all three meals to a satisfying extent.
Breakfast (especially breakfast outside) is always an outstanding experience
The lunch/dinner food is mediocre. In my opinion there should be a bigger menu (in the way that the breakfast is good AND thorough, for example). I liked the atmosphere very much.
Indeed I have a penchant for cookies, and cookies they certainly had.
My brother and I were served at the coffee area multiple times by a lovely woman named [Claudia] and another nice woman whose name I cannot remember.
There is also some sort of sparkling mango drink (non-alcoholic) that is the quintessence of beach vacation beverages.

1  Thank GoldPerson
Jon F, Manager at The Ritz Carlton Cafe 4750, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Goldperson, Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit. Claudia is truly an asset to the Cafe 4750 team. I have shared your feedback about the extent of the Lunch Menu with Executive Chef - it is feedback like your that allows us to improve our dining selections and guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We would love to eat here more often when we stay at the Ritz to avoid driving into town. That being said, the restaurant is just not that great. The service is OK, but the food is just average, and the menu selections seem limited compared to other options. Certainly acceptable if you want to avoid a drive, but head into town if you want better food.

Jon F, Manager at The Ritz Carlton Cafe 4750, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Good evening,

I was disappointed to hear about your recent visit. Our goal is to provide diverse dining options from Eight, our sports bar to Cafe 4750 and Salt. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and know that I have shared the details of your experience with the Food & Beverage leaders.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Ritz in Amelia Island is a great property and the hotel staff are generally excellent. My problem is with the property as a "resort". There are really only two restaurants at the property: Cafe 4750 and Salt. There is a sports bar and the pool bar, but I mean real restaurants. Salt is overly booked, and unfortunately, despite the fact that nonguests drive in to dine, the hotel makes no accommodations for hotel guests. Moreover, during reservations, the Ritz did not alert us to the fact that Salt was difficult to get reservations at, so our only option was a Tuesday.

Hence, we had multiple meals at Cafe 4750 as we stayed five days at the Ritz Amelia Island, and frankly the biggest issue to staying at this Ritz for that long is Cafe 4750. First, you generally have to have breakfast at Cafe 4750, which is generally nice, albeit exactly the same stuff as on the room service menu. It's the same facilities for delivery, even the same lady answered my room service call as we then saw for lunch. Breakfast is good.

The issue was really the next night. and I'm not going to go into the meal as I covered that in my review of Cafe 4750. Instead I'm simply going to say that I'm disappointed in the Ritz policy. Yes, I know the Ritz is considered an expensive, perhaps even "Ritzy" destination, but they shouldn't just fleece their customers: $45 PER bottle. See the problem with hotel restaurants is that a customer's experience at the restaurant is inextricably linked to the hotel property as well. So here's why I'm frustrated with the Ritz.

I keep a cellar with over 2,000 bottles, most of which I've bought and aged. I travel 50-70 nights a year and eat out over 700 meals each year. My point is that I eat out a lot, and I eat out a lot with wine, and I eat out a lot with wine in different cities all over the world. I have only seen $45 per bottle....well NEVER!

What particularly frustrated me is that I took six bottles of wine with me for this four day stay at the Ritz, as we were meeting family one night and friends another.

The Ritz corkage policy is so offensive that we DID NOT EAT at the resort our third night. Moreover, I would seriously question returning to the Ritz Amelia Island because of the arrogance in setting such a high corkage rate, and especially setting such a high corkage rate in a fair run-of-the-mill hotel restaurant.

My bill for my suite and all the activities for four nights was over $4,000, which frankly could have been a decent value; it is what I expected to pay, but I'm unlikely to return to the Ritz Amelia Island because I feel that their corkage is so offensive. Moreover, the rate is so offensive that it damages my relationship with the Ritz brand in general. Given that I stayed for two weeks in various Ritz properties last year, this is a foolish decision on their part. Next time I'm in Dana Point, I'll skip Laguna Nigel and do the Montage. Next time I'm in Amelia Island, I will go to the Plantation. Here in Atlanta, where my Firm puts people up at the Ritz who travel to see us, we will move our business to the St. Regis or the Mandarin. In San Francisco, we'll stay at the Mark Hopkins or the Fairmont.

There's your $45, Mr. Ritz Amelia Island manager. I hope you enjoyed it. You just cost your brand a lot of business. I would have happily paid $25, but you just had to gouge me for another $20, and I promise you just cost the business over $10k each year for a long time.

4  Thank Rick V
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was a Café style restaurant and they are open for all meals. I expected exceptional service by staff in the Cafe, however it was quite average. I think the staff could be more professional and forward thinking rather than customers having to ask for things. My expectations are quite high overall for a hotel of this caliber and I think the staff in the Café could use some training. The menu was only a la carte on my first visit, and both a la carte and buffet style breakfast was offered on my second visit two weeks later.