“Beautiful Hotel, Outstanding Service”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Tampa, Florida
“Beautiful Hotel, Outstanding Service”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had not planned at staying at the Ritz-Carlton, but we are very glad we did. This was probably the nicest hotel my wife and I have stayed at other than the Intercontinental in Moorea, Tahiti (see that review). There are two pools: adult and family. We only went to the adult pool.

The service was excellent everywhere. Alper was very helpful in checking us in and getting us a room upgrade. Whenever we saw him, he addressed us by name and asked about our stay. The pool was beautiful, as was the beach. You can get food/drink service at either. We enjoyed the food from the Dune - the burger was very good and the Ceasar Salad had a large piece of Mahi Mahi on it. The fitness center was nice, with a large range of equipment, dumb bells and group classes.

The drinks are expensive - beer is $7-$8 and mixed drinks are $19-$29. We brought a cooler of drink and just brought them with us. I would definitely recommend bringing drinks and snacks or you'll be paying a lot of extra money.

We would like to go back here sometime soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Korean first
Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We went there for a business lunch. The restaurant in front of the pool has a nice view, a small menu, but a fresh one. I had the panini and it as very good. It has outdoors and indoors sitting. We chose outdoors... just jealous of the guest enjoying the pool while we work.
Afterwards we went to a meeting room, nice room, just what we needed.
Afterwards we went to the bar. Not that nice. Very dark, and the chips they gave us were really old... we asked the lady to change them.., and gave us the same, maybe same bag. We told her again but nothing happened.
Good place to do business. Big hotel, good ambience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Try Dunes beach bar! Its a really good place to have some beers (local and domestic: tsing tao, asahi, guinness, king fisher, budweiser, heineken, etc), or a bucket or two of your fave proseco ;-) burgers are the soecialty but finger food is great too. Very casual, great ambiance. Dont expect low prices! Will definitely come back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
New Windsor, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We vacationed there for 3 nights.. We checked in and headed straight to the pool and the elevator we were in made a huge noise and suddenly as the doors opened a wheel fell off and luckily my husband pulled my daughter or it would have fallen on her head. She was totally horrified and didn't want to take the elevator. As this happened we reported it to the front desk who somewhat didn't agree that anything was wrong with this elevator. Offering us a room upgrade and a couple of fee drinks doesn't make up for what happened and how scared my daughter was. The front desk has people who don't care and don't take comments seriously. Anyways the rest of our stay was ok but certainly don't expect these kinds of incidents to happen at the Ritz. Lastly we were told we would get our rewards points back which were used on our stay and nothing as of yet has been put back.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Neha200
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne is a gorgeous resort!!!!
The fountains and grounds are immaculate. Great pools, great location, quiet, relaxing, upscale. Loved it! Perfect for amazing views, relaxing walks. Very quiet, romantic and fabulous. Was a great romantic getaway!

The Spa - Fabulous!! We didn't get any services, just relaxed in the whirlpool/suana/steamroom. The facilities seemed brand new and modern. Amazing shower area!!!!!! Omar and Eduardo (the younger Eduardo) in the Spa were absolutely fabulous!! They learned our names, brought us water, towels, even fresh fruit and snacks. We visited very often, they were so pleasant.

Location is fabulous!! Walking distance to everything you need. Winn-dixie for a picnic lunch to take to the beach, Sir Pizza for amazing pizza and probably the best ranch dressing I've ever had, Milaneeza for a funky/modern/trendy dining experience.

If you're not familiar with Key Biscayne, its a upscale, quiet Island - perfect escape from the madness of Miami. However, if you're looking for that madness this is not the hotel for you. Its an expensive taxi ride to the action. If you don't have a car: restaurants, beach, groceries, and a few bars are within walking distance. Otherwise not too much to do. This was perfect for me!

At 2am I called down for water bottles, and they brought me super cold waterbottles straight away. For free!! Great service!

Pools were great and the fruit-infused water was fantastically refreshing!!! Beach was small, no waves and good amount of seaweed - but I LOVED the little boardwalk they laid over the sand. I love the beach but the hate the sand, this was perfect for me.

Few complaints:
-It was our anniversary, they didn't do anything to acknowledge it. The Sarasota Ritz-Carlton, where we stayed the night before, sent chocolate covered strawberries, a hand-written note, a Ritz Sarasota keychain, etc. That's how I expect to be treated at the Ritz-Carlton.
-No ice machines. So ice had to be brought to you, this took forever - as others have mentioned in their reviews. Had to call multiple times, that's an embarrassment.
-Upon check-in, I was told the Dune burger bar would be serving food during our stay. The morning of the day I wanted to use it, I called the front desk to confirm - they said yes, serving their full menu. When I got there, closed, only place to eat was Cantina.

They got 5 stars because the hotel was beautiful and relaxing, the staff was friendly. Also, I paid pennies compared to the full price. For what I paid, it was amazing. For full price, I would've been more annoyed by those inconveniences. The staff was friendly, but for $600+/night for the most basic room, they should be going above and beyond. The only staff members we found to be doing that were inside the Spa.

Room Tip: The hotel faces 2 directions, either the ocean or the island. If you face the Island, try to get a h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RT_in_FL
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a four night stay at the Key Biscayne Ritz in a one bedroom executive suite. As other have posted, the rooms are not worth what you are paying for. For what I was paying per night, I could have had a much nicer and larger room at the Mandarin Oriental, which is much nicer.

The pool, the hotel should not allow people to reserve the chairs. It was around 830am in the morning, and it seemed as if people came down from their rooms just to put a magazine in the chairs to reserve them. By 9am, when we had finished breakfast, 100% of the chairs were reserved, with only 5% being used.

The beach, not that nice to pay what they are charging at the Ritz. There were large amounts of sea weed floating, and water was not that clear.

Food, breakfast at Cioppino's was simple and boring, no variaty in the four days we were there. Service was very good.
At the Cantina restaurant, food and service there was excellent!
Room service was ok.

All in all, the service and quality would be ok for a hotel worth 50% less that what the Ritz was worth.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank GeorgeHNSap
Rosie S, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear GeorgeHNSap,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your feedback about your recent visit. We are very sorry to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to personally speak with you. Kindly contact the Executive office at 305-365-4500, at your convnienice, should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Kimberly Wilson
Poughquag, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My family of 4 just returned from a 5 night stay at the RC Key Biscayne. We booked a superior room based on RC Reward points, and as we checked in, the front desk, Mr. Alpert, graciously offered us an oceanfront 1 bedroom suite at a much reduced discount ($1200 down to $375/night), which we gladly paid for. The 11th floor room was huge and had a fantastic view of the beach/ocean. As in other RC hotels, hospitality, friendliness and service are always the main priority and it was quite evident at this resort. Our housekeeper, Maria Isabel, happily greeted us each morning and generously gave us extra towels/shampoo. My son and I played a lot of tennis at the tennis center, so I definitely need to give shout-outs to the teaching pros, Mel and Grant, for helping us with our tennis games. From the parking valets to the waitstaff at Cioppino, we always felt welcomed and relaxed. We were there during Easter week, so it was very crowded (especially the pools), but I think the staff did a fine job. A typical RC vacation, we thoroughly enjoyed staying at this resort and hope to visit again.

Room Tip: I think being a Ritz Carlton Rewards member helped us get the upgraded room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
#9 of 207 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,930 reviews
Coconut Grove
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!