“wonderfull”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed 5 August 2014

For a 10 days stay at the Ritz Key Biscayne. A lovely place to be. The staff is very friendly and the service is great.
The rooms are comfortable and clean. I had one less good experience with housekeeping but that was been solved well.

Room Tip: (partial) ocean view

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at Ritz-Carlton on the week of July, 28 2014. That was our second trip to that location. We loved our first stay and we were not disappointed this time either. Check in process was smooth and fast. My room was ready on arrival and I was pleasantly surprised when our room was upgraded to the residential suite on the request. Another great surprise was waiting us in the room. Upon arrival to the room we were welcomed by personalized welcome note from Deisha Periu along with nice gifts, cookies and milk. That was really nice touch and made you feel that you are really welcomed here. Thank you for the gifts, especially CD. The residential suite had a full kitchen with breakfast/dinner area, king bed bedroom and a pretty big “family room” with a full size sleeping sofa. I really loved the floor to ceiling window in the bedroom that opens beautiful view of the property and the ocean. During our stay we have never had any issues with our room service (either cleaning or turndown service). Room was always clean and ready for our return from the beach/pool or dinner.

We have booked the room with the Club access and I think it worth spending the extra money. During the day you can enjoy the full breakfast in the morning, lunch that usually includes a soup and different types of sandwiches along with the salads, snack time (cheese, crackers etc.). I was OK with the dinner selections most of the time, but for my son (8 yr) I had to order something from in-room dining. Late in the evening we enjoyed dessert time. Usually it was 4-5 different types of desserts.

We had a great time at the pool and the beach. At the pool area Ritz-Carlton provided complimentary sunscreen lotions with different SPF, apples and cold flavored with the fresh fruits water all the time. On one of the hottest day there were frozen grapes available as a snack. Really nice and small details that make the stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

We had a really great stay and we will come there again in the future.

Room Tip: Ocean front view on the high floor. Suite is the best.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my family's fourth visit to this property over the past six years. I can report that the level of service from everyone on the staff continues to be exceptional. Everyone is polite and willing to assist.
The rooms are clean and well serviced by housekeeping. The food at the restaurants and room service is delicious. The grounds are gorgeous and well maintained.
We will be going back, again.

One suggestion to the management, re-think the in-room wifi charges. $10.95 per day per device seems unrealistic. Most families have multiple devices and the per device charge reminds me of the excessive charges for long distance calls way back when.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2014

First review. Felt I had to. The management and staff of this property should take a quick minute to pat themselves on the back. The staff here does not know the meaning of the word "no." This is true to the Ritz Carlton experience that I have seen at other properties, but in my opinion, the staff here took it to the next level. When I read some of the reviews that mentioned poor service, I just couldn't believe these people stayed at the same place that we did.

A few highlights:

After an unfortunate lockout episode (with the interior security lock involved- if you are wondering how we managed this, we had two rooms adjoining and small children), the gentleman worked diligently breaking a sweat for a half hour to regain us entry. The entire time, as all we could do was feel incredibly stupid, all he could do was apologize over and over for our bad experience. Truly professional, and after the incident we received a handwritten note thanking US for the opportunity to serve us, and some gift cards for free ice cream cones at the pool. That is above and beyond.

We took a chance and took our 2 year old daughter to the nicest restaurant on the property, Cioppino (as a sidenote, the food was fantastic, and our waiter, Placido, was spot on with menu recommendations). She did pretty well for a while, when she began to get fussy, we worried that other diners were being affected. Both our waiter, and the hostess presented her with small stuffed animal gifts from the gift shop which did the trick. They couldn't quit calling her "princess" and you could tell they were truly engaged, and not just annoyed.

The valet and bell staff was as friendly and as prompt as any, never failing to ask if we needed directions to our destination, and we never waited on a vehicle, or baggage.

The housekeeping staff was top notch, also doing the "extras." We had to laugh when they took the time to arrange our son's action figures he left scattered about the room in "battle" poses when we returned. He really got a kick out of that. Well done, ladies.

All in all, I came away impressed as always by a Ritz property, but felt that this one has policies in place and personal touches that make it extra special.

3  Thank BrentB5050
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family's trip to the Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne began on July 20, 2014. I admit, I was hesitant for the experience based on what I had read here on this site. People were commenting about poor service, low end overall quality, poor beach and a "sewer" smell at the beach area. As I walked into the lobby, I was filled with dread. That, however, ended when I approached Natalia to check in. She proceeded to give us an ocean front room facing the adult pool with sweeping views of the property and the beach. Our bellman was wonderful and we proceeded to settle in quickly so we could tour the property. We dressed for the beach and away we went. On our way through the hotel, we were greeted by every staff member we saw and we enjoyed our way through the beautiful waterfalls to the pool area. Once there, the pool attendants promptly helped us find chairs and provided plenty of towels. We placed a drink order, which arrived quickly, and wandered to the beach area to find out what all the "tripadvisor" fuss was about there. I did see the seaweed, but that's nature. There wasn't a tremendous amount, but it was present. This did not bother me at all because we deal with that issue on other Florida beaches, namely Destin. Thankfully, there was no foul odor, so we were off to test the water. The ocean was calm, warm and wonderful. Again, a beach attendant asked if we need chairs, towels or drinks.
We went back to the pool area, dried off and went to the Cantina for lunch. Let me just say, the food is amazingly fresh and delicious. Everything we ate there throughout our week long stay was wonderful and cooked to order. The servers were attentive and kind.
We also visited the Dunes beachfront burger restaurant a few times and again were met with stellar service and food. Yes, the food at both places is expensive-my only complaint- but my husband and I shared generous portions and the kids' meals were generous as well. Again, the service was impeccable.
Our first night, we met a wonderful server named Gerlayne. She was kind and we conversed with her as she attended to our needs. Later in the evening, we arrived back at our room to find a room service cart containing delicious cookies and a nice note from Gerlayne. Again, wonderful service.
The next night, we decided to tour Miami Beach. We left the property around 6:00PM, thinking we would catch dinner there. We were caught in bumper to bumper traffic the entire time we were on Miami Beach! It was a bit stressful and we were quickly very thankful our accommodations were at the Ritz, away from this hustle and bustle. Four hours later, when we arrived back at the Ritz, the gate attendant asked about our evening. As we told her our stressful, yet humorous tale, she recorded our room number and apologized that our venture had not been as relaxing as expected. A few minutes later, room service arrived at our room to provide enough pizza, chicken tenders and fries for the four of us all COURTESY of the gate attendant!! Again, stellar service going above and beyond! The rest of our week went the same way...we were given coupons for free ice cream by the pool, and we received cookies via room service nearly every night COURTESY various employees.
We have ABSOLUTELY nothing bad to say about this tremendous resort and fail to see how it falls short with other Ritz Carltons. The entire stay was like a dream come true. From the beautiful room, excellent housekeeping, friendly staff, prompt valet service to the unbelievably generous freebies, we cannot wait to return! KUDOS to everyone from the front desk, concierge, housekeeping, loss/prevention, pool/beach service, restaurant servers/cooks, etc. We are HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!!

2  Thank Allison H
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The good: Grounds are well maintained, spa services are excellent, and the pool and beach areas are nice.

The bad: A significant minority of the staff (perhaps about 1/3) seem to display an attitude of doing their job and nothing more. While at the pool area on a Sunday morning management was having a staff meeting in which employees were blamed for causing low morale. Check in process was long - while I understand the hotel was extremely full, 6.5 hours is a bit too much. Concierge services were lacking - when I called I was told they were busy and I would have to call back later. In room dining is seriously underwhelming and ridiculously overpriced for the mediocre quality of food. There were additional issues with the Amex FHR benefits.

Opinion: This hotel would make a wonderful JW Marriot. However, when I stay at a Ritz Carlton and pay in the neighbourhood of $500 for a single night I expect a certain level of service that overall is lacking at this property. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matt-_in_Nashville
rmsua126, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Matt_in_Nashville,
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback of your recent visit on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed our beautiful facilities, however, at the same time we regret that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to discuss them with you directly. Please contact the Executive Office at 305-365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish to discuss your stay further.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to our resort someday soon.

Kimberly Wilson

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very nice hotel with excellent service. In particular the concierge staff was a huge help with our trip and followed up on everything. That said, the room, called Oceanfront Deluxe, was small and the walls were pretty thin. Restaurants were good but very high priced. We especially liked the Beachfront Gourmet burger bar - excellent quality but $29 for sliders is a bit over the top. The Mexican food poolside was also great and the breakfast buffet (included) was well done. Overall this is a great property. Some service issues at the adult pool and on the beach. If you are planning to be in Miami or Miami Beach on your trip a lot this may not be the place to stay as getting on and off the island takes a lot of time and is an expensive cab ride.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Key Biscayne
City Center
1 Hotel South Beach
1 Hotel South Beach
#8 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!