“Nice get away, not the best Ritz out there.”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We spent 3 days at this property. This is what we found to be true for our visit:

Small and cozy Ritz hotel. Not too big which was nice.

Nice room. We had a one bedroom oceanfront suite. Perfect size and great view. Very clean. Decor was modern with lots of comfort.

Most help was Ritz quality although the pool area was way under staffed and it took forever to get served...not very Ritz like.

The pool lounging chairs were terrible! Holiday Inn would have better furniture by their pool. Ripped and weathered with no padding. Towels all over hotel were old and frayed including in spa and outside by pool. This was very unusual. I understand the Eco part of this, but at the Ritz you really want fluffy and nice! Also at other Ritz properties they are always available for towel set up..here it took longer to get service.

Pools were nice. One was a kid friendly pool with a water fall and the other was adults only was better for lap swimming.

Outside cabana rentals were great..also great price.

Not the best beach but very quiet and clean and private.

Outside food was OK not the best. Liked the food at the Dunes bar the best. Food was served in plastic take away boxes at the pool area...I found this strange and kind of tacky for what you pay.

The Lobby Bar had good service and sushi was just so so.

The spa was charming but needed a renovation. Holes in walls, chipped paint and worn towels. Treatment was great and it was nice to use any of the facilities any time of day. The spa attendants were very nice and helpful.

Work out room was great! Nice size, nice equipment and lots of light.

Front desk were very nice as was bell staff, room service, and housekeeping. Our room was kept spotless and our cleaner was very thoughtful on how she set up our items.

Great Cuban band on weekend in Lobby.

Great breakfasts but not as good as some other Ritz properties.

Lots of kids but all well behaved like at most Ritz properties.

Room price was really good for a one bedroom ocean front suite.

A tad far away to South Beach if you wanted to go there at night.

All and all had a great time. It is hard to find any property in the U.S. that compares to the service in Mexico but we were treated well here. Would return if we had an event in the area.

1  Thank bobolito
Write a ReviewReviews (2,124)

Reviewed 19 September 2009

We recently stayed for 3 nights at the Ritz Carlton. The Hotel and Staff were amazing. The setting was perfect just far enough away from Miami South Beach a peaceful retreat after a day in Miami. We stayed in a one bedroomed suite on the fifth floor with an ocean view. Spectacular views! Would certainly stay again on our next visit to that area of Florida.

Reviewed 15 September 2009

I have stayed at the Ritz Carleton Key Biscayne several times over the past decade, mainly at the insistence of my wife, who likes it because of its excellent spa and pool facilities. Although I was once a fan myself, in recent years the quality of the service at this hotel has noticeably declined, to the point where I feel increasingly uncomfortable and unwelcome there. Back when we first started staying there, guests were free to self -park their cars in the ample surface lot that surrounds the facility. I'm the kind of person who does not like valet parking and other unnecessary services and attentions. I like to be left alone when on vacation and not be pestered by hotel staff looking for handouts. I'm more than happy to tip waiters, bartenders, housekkeeping and other staff who provide necessary services, but I want to be free CHOOSE my level of service. Unfortunately, at the Ritz Carleton Key Biscayne, this is no longer an option. This hotel has gone to the lengths of hiring security guards to patrol the mostly empty surface parking lots to force guests to valet their cars at $30 a day. In my case, I was already reluctantly valeting my car when one day I decided to park outside in the empty lot so as to have immediate access to the car without having to request a retrieval. Instantly, the goons descended in their little golf cart to inform me that "all guests must valet their cars." Lovely. I agree with the previous reviewer who described the service as mainly "cold and impersonal." I found the friendly and accommodating housekeeping staff to be a bright spot, as were some of the wait staff. With maybe one or two exceptions, the valet staff that you are forced to deal with are curt and overbearing. Even when we asked them not to hover around our car waiting for a tip, they continued to do so. The whole experience was akin to landing in a Third World country and having the poor little urchins surround you offering to carry your bags. Please RC-KB management, train you employees to BACK OFF and let your guests choose their level of service. End the big brother surveillance of your guests and drop the stupid mandatory valet service! Another beef I have with this hotel is the complete absence of any information on the local community. Granted, apart from its natural beauty, Key Biscayne is seriously wanting in the charm department. However, the community has several good dining options, a public library with events for children, and other resources that I would have liked to have known about. Nowhere in this hotel do you find any information about Key Biscayne. The local community paper, "The Islander" is nowhere in sight, and rooms are not supplied with local dining information. The assumption of the hotel management is that their property is so wonderful that nobody would ever want to leave their echanted fortress. It would have been nice to have had, in addition to some local information, a golf cart rental service to get around the neighborhood like many of the locals do. In any case, this hotel will please those who like to be waited on hand and foot and are willing to pay extra for it. Me? Not so much.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MDGa2r
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I decided to get away with the girlfriend for Labor day weekend so we booked the Ritz. Driving in and valeting things looked great, hotel was nice staff all greeted us by name and the room was ready. Went up to the hotel room and was disappointed with the size of the room and the overall decor was average. No different than staying at any other decent hotel.This was the highlight of the stay. The staff was not what I would expect at the Ritz, very cold and indifferent. Walking through the hallways and seeing a maid do not expect a good morning or good afternoon because it will not happen.

We had lunch at Dunes which is nice with techno type music that I could do without, but again our server was very indifferent and barely spoke with us. Each time he brought me a $6 beer and I said thank you I did not even get a nod of acknowledgment much less a "your welcome". The burger was decent and then we headed to the spa.

The spa is mediocre at best, when we enter there was no attendant to show us the facilities and the facilities themselves are nothing to write home about. The service itself was satisfactory, but the woman who helped me seemed to only speak Spanish which is fine since I speak Spanish but I would expect a place like the Ritz to hirer someone that speaks fluent English.

the next morning I get up early and head to the pool for some laps and am in the middle of doing my laps when i run into the hose from the broom which is being used to clean the pool. The person cleaning the pool apologized and said he would be done soon, considering I was the only person in the pool I would have thought he could have worked around me or at a minimum wait until I complete a lap and ask me to kindly move.

I could go but I won't I would suggest trying somewhere else if you want good service. In general Miami is terrible for good service, but for Ritz they should be ashamed of how poorly trained their staff is.

6  Thank sd12580
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Having just spent a week at The Palazzo in Vegas, we decided to try out the Ritz C for some sun and relaxation before heading back to Scotland. Key Biscayne itself is nothing to write home about, Florida has nicer beach towns and keys to visit, but the hotel is everything a Ritz Carlton should be, and the service amongst the best i've ever experienced. My only moan would be the size and standard of the room. Dont get me wrong, It's really very nice, however, when you have just been in Vegas, you realise all other hotels short change you in room standards. Size wise its about the same as most others i guess, and the interiors are nice, but a few stains on the carpet, and an awful shower, are not quite in keeping with the high standards elsewhere in the hotel. Bulgari toiletries are a nice touch in the bathrooms, robes were pretty pathetic (is it just me or are robes an essential part of a hotel stay? Mandalay Bay Las Vegas set the bar on this front!)
Amenities wise the hotel has everything you'd expect. The pool areas, gym, restaurants, and beach are all fantastic. Most notably though is the level of customer service. Their staff are superb, and simply cannot be faulted. The hotel oozes charm and class and were i to be travelling back to the Miami area, its the only place i'd consider staying.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cafedisco
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights recently and had a lovely relaxing break in beautiful surroundings. Lots of 'Plus Points' - the hotel is immaculately clean, the staff went out of their way to help, food is very good, rooms were comfortable and well-fitted, pools are very clean and soooo warm! Negatives? The additional costs. Internet access is $2.95 an hour or $10.95 a day. Beach umbrellas are $20 (plus 18% service + 7% Forida tax). The beach rentals are very expensive - Hobie Cats at $30 a time for example - and as a result we didn't see one person either water-skiing, paragliding, kayaking, out on the pedal-boats, in the entire time we were there. Wine was very expensive - the cheapest bottle of white was $45, plus 18% service +7% Florida tax. I know this is an expensive hotel so it is assumed that if you have the money to stay there then you can afford all these added extras, but we did feel at times it was a bit of a rip-off.
I read comments before we went about the mandatory $30 to Valet-park your car; we found a way out of that! If, as you drive into the complex you bear to the right, marked "Deliveries", there is a large car-park parallel to the tennis courts, and its FREE!
Also for meals, there are a number of small restaurants nearby - Sushi, Pizza, Mexican, Peruvian - and a large Supermarket in which to stock up on wine and beer.
Take lots of dollar bills with you - you'll need them for tips!
Having said all this, would we go back? Oh yes - tomorrow if we could get flights!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank juliefromsurrey
Reviewed 27 August 2009

After reading some negative reviews on Trip Advisor, I contacted this hotel via e mail with my concerns. Within two days, the front office manager called me at home, in Mexico City, to discuss any issues that I had . Before I begin to tell you about this wonderful property, I want you to ask yourselves, when was the last time that a member of upper management phoned you personally, to talk about your concerns? I was very impressed!
This hotel is a popular destination year round. Holiday periods are more crowded and things may not always be perfect but if you express your concerns to the staff they will "bend over backwards" to make sure that your problems are resolved.
We had an excellent package rate that included free internet, valet parking and breakfast for two. We selected a suite since we were traveling with our teenage daughters and it was lovely and very spacious. We had a spectacular oceanfront view.
We spent most of our time at the adult pool which allowed us to relax. The pool was clean and the lounge chairs were new, comfortable and readily available. The staff is strict about the" no children" policy at the adult pool and did not allow people to abuse reserving chairs. If you reserved a chair you had to use it! As in all large hotels, it is a first come first serve policy. Of course the pool allowing children is more crowded. And yes if you want to be more tranquil you can rent a private cabana. The beach is pristine and great for taking a swim or a walk.
The hotel has a very active professional tennis program for all levels and ages. It was one of our reasons for selecting this destination. Even with high humidity and temperatures in the 90's my daughters did not want to forfit the tennis camp!
We had access to the Club level in the hotel and it was a very special asset.
On the weekends the hotel is very busy, there is entertainment in the lobby and people everywhere. If you want to partake in the action , you can. If you prefer a quiet evening there are other, less crowded spaces in the hotel. We heard NO noise in our room.
The fitness center is fabulous and well equipped and so is the spa. The breakfast buffet was more than you could imagine. We also enjoyed the Mexican cantina and the Dune Burger Bar!
From upper level management to the valet parking attendants the service is superb. Each and every one of the staff members goes out of their way to do their best to please the guests!
We make it a habit to stay at Ritz Carltons whenever we can and the key Biscayne property will remain as one of our top choices!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
City Center
W South Beach
W South Beach
#16 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!