“Total happiness”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed 4 October 2009

If you want to be pampered and you are willing to delve in your pocket quite often for singles , go to the Ritz..
This key Biscayne hotel has everything for you, great beach with free chairs and towels. however expect to pay $20/day for the life-saving umbrella. Two pools (1 adult only where free cocktails are given in the afternoon).
Mandatory valet parking at $30/day (just for your car, you will pay more for your room).
The rooms have the standard Ritz Carlton comfort with marble in bathroom, and a balcony.
The tennis courts are absolutely great. Expect to pay $15 pp, but for this you'll get balls, towels and drinks. That's a deal. Clinics in the morning will cost you $35 and considering the quality it's again a deal. We tried evrything and really enjoyed it.

Reviewed 27 September 2009

Went for a quick 4 day get away. The key is when you go. We went the 2nd week in September when kids would be back in school and the crowds would be less. It was perfect timing. We shared the adult pool with never more than six other people so it was quiet and relaxing. The rooms were clean and the whole resort was well staffed and maintained even though the were not many guests.

We expected it to be expensive and it was(it's a Ritz)! But some expenses are a bit much such as $30 a day Valet service (which was sometimes a bit surly) and charges for wi-fi in the room.

We got there on a Sunday and had lunch at The Dunes which was by the adult pool. Very good, but glad we did it on Sunday because they don't open Monday through Friday. Regardless of the number of guests it should be open because you choices are very limited in the area.

Reviewed 24 September 2009

We spent 3 days at this property. This is what we found to be true for our visit:

Small and cozy Ritz hotel. Not too big which was nice.

Nice room. We had a one bedroom oceanfront suite. Perfect size and great view. Very clean. Decor was modern with lots of comfort.

Most help was Ritz quality although the pool area was way under staffed and it took forever to get served...not very Ritz like.

The pool lounging chairs were terrible! Holiday Inn would have better furniture by their pool. Ripped and weathered with no padding. Towels all over hotel were old and frayed including in spa and outside by pool. This was very unusual. I understand the Eco part of this, but at the Ritz you really want fluffy and nice! Also at other Ritz properties they are always available for towel set up..here it took longer to get service.

Pools were nice. One was a kid friendly pool with a water fall and the other was adults only was better for lap swimming.

Outside cabana rentals were great..also great price.

Not the best beach but very quiet and clean and private.

Outside food was OK not the best. Liked the food at the Dunes bar the best. Food was served in plastic take away boxes at the pool area...I found this strange and kind of tacky for what you pay.

The Lobby Bar had good service and sushi was just so so.

The spa was charming but needed a renovation. Holes in walls, chipped paint and worn towels. Treatment was great and it was nice to use any of the facilities any time of day. The spa attendants were very nice and helpful.

Work out room was great! Nice size, nice equipment and lots of light.

Front desk were very nice as was bell staff, room service, and housekeeping. Our room was kept spotless and our cleaner was very thoughtful on how she set up our items.

Great Cuban band on weekend in Lobby.

Great breakfasts but not as good as some other Ritz properties.

Lots of kids but all well behaved like at most Ritz properties.

Room price was really good for a one bedroom ocean front suite.

A tad far away to South Beach if you wanted to go there at night.

All and all had a great time. It is hard to find any property in the U.S. that compares to the service in Mexico but we were treated well here. Would return if we had an event in the area.

1  Thank bobolito
Reviewed 19 September 2009

We recently stayed for 3 nights at the Ritz Carlton. The Hotel and Staff were amazing. The setting was perfect just far enough away from Miami South Beach a peaceful retreat after a day in Miami. We stayed in a one bedroomed suite on the fifth floor with an ocean view. Spectacular views! Would certainly stay again on our next visit to that area of Florida.

Reviewed 15 September 2009

I have stayed at the Ritz Carleton Key Biscayne several times over the past decade, mainly at the insistence of my wife, who likes it because of its excellent spa and pool facilities. Although I was once a fan myself, in recent years the quality of the service at this hotel has noticeably declined, to the point where I feel increasingly uncomfortable and unwelcome there. Back when we first started staying there, guests were free to self -park their cars in the ample surface lot that surrounds the facility. I'm the kind of person who does not like valet parking and other unnecessary services and attentions. I like to be left alone when on vacation and not be pestered by hotel staff looking for handouts. I'm more than happy to tip waiters, bartenders, housekkeeping and other staff who provide necessary services, but I want to be free CHOOSE my level of service. Unfortunately, at the Ritz Carleton Key Biscayne, this is no longer an option. This hotel has gone to the lengths of hiring security guards to patrol the mostly empty surface parking lots to force guests to valet their cars at $30 a day. In my case, I was already reluctantly valeting my car when one day I decided to park outside in the empty lot so as to have immediate access to the car without having to request a retrieval. Instantly, the goons descended in their little golf cart to inform me that "all guests must valet their cars." Lovely. I agree with the previous reviewer who described the service as mainly "cold and impersonal." I found the friendly and accommodating housekeeping staff to be a bright spot, as were some of the wait staff. With maybe one or two exceptions, the valet staff that you are forced to deal with are curt and overbearing. Even when we asked them not to hover around our car waiting for a tip, they continued to do so. The whole experience was akin to landing in a Third World country and having the poor little urchins surround you offering to carry your bags. Please RC-KB management, train you employees to BACK OFF and let your guests choose their level of service. End the big brother surveillance of your guests and drop the stupid mandatory valet service! Another beef I have with this hotel is the complete absence of any information on the local community. Granted, apart from its natural beauty, Key Biscayne is seriously wanting in the charm department. However, the community has several good dining options, a public library with events for children, and other resources that I would have liked to have known about. Nowhere in this hotel do you find any information about Key Biscayne. The local community paper, "The Islander" is nowhere in sight, and rooms are not supplied with local dining information. The assumption of the hotel management is that their property is so wonderful that nobody would ever want to leave their echanted fortress. It would have been nice to have had, in addition to some local information, a golf cart rental service to get around the neighborhood like many of the locals do. In any case, this hotel will please those who like to be waited on hand and foot and are willing to pay extra for it. Me? Not so much.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MDGa2r
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I decided to get away with the girlfriend for Labor day weekend so we booked the Ritz. Driving in and valeting things looked great, hotel was nice staff all greeted us by name and the room was ready. Went up to the hotel room and was disappointed with the size of the room and the overall decor was average. No different than staying at any other decent hotel.This was the highlight of the stay. The staff was not what I would expect at the Ritz, very cold and indifferent. Walking through the hallways and seeing a maid do not expect a good morning or good afternoon because it will not happen.

We had lunch at Dunes which is nice with techno type music that I could do without, but again our server was very indifferent and barely spoke with us. Each time he brought me a $6 beer and I said thank you I did not even get a nod of acknowledgment much less a "your welcome". The burger was decent and then we headed to the spa.

The spa is mediocre at best, when we enter there was no attendant to show us the facilities and the facilities themselves are nothing to write home about. The service itself was satisfactory, but the woman who helped me seemed to only speak Spanish which is fine since I speak Spanish but I would expect a place like the Ritz to hirer someone that speaks fluent English.

the next morning I get up early and head to the pool for some laps and am in the middle of doing my laps when i run into the hose from the broom which is being used to clean the pool. The person cleaning the pool apologized and said he would be done soon, considering I was the only person in the pool I would have thought he could have worked around me or at a minimum wait until I complete a lap and ask me to kindly move.

I could go but I won't I would suggest trying somewhere else if you want good service. In general Miami is terrible for good service, but for Ritz they should be ashamed of how poorly trained their staff is.

6  Thank sd12580
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Having just spent a week at The Palazzo in Vegas, we decided to try out the Ritz C for some sun and relaxation before heading back to Scotland. Key Biscayne itself is nothing to write home about, Florida has nicer beach towns and keys to visit, but the hotel is everything a Ritz Carlton should be, and the service amongst the best i've ever experienced. My only moan would be the size and standard of the room. Dont get me wrong, It's really very nice, however, when you have just been in Vegas, you realise all other hotels short change you in room standards. Size wise its about the same as most others i guess, and the interiors are nice, but a few stains on the carpet, and an awful shower, are not quite in keeping with the high standards elsewhere in the hotel. Bulgari toiletries are a nice touch in the bathrooms, robes were pretty pathetic (is it just me or are robes an essential part of a hotel stay? Mandalay Bay Las Vegas set the bar on this front!)
Amenities wise the hotel has everything you'd expect. The pool areas, gym, restaurants, and beach are all fantastic. Most notably though is the level of customer service. Their staff are superb, and simply cannot be faulted. The hotel oozes charm and class and were i to be travelling back to the Miami area, its the only place i'd consider staying.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Coconut Grove
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
Loews Miami Beach Hotel
#51 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!