“New management is changing The Oasis, for the worst”

Oasis Sandwich Shop
Ranked #36 of 72 Restaurants in Key Biscayne
Cuisines: Latin
Miami, Florida
“New management is changing The Oasis, for the worst”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I decided to write this review after 20+ years as a client at Oasis. This is definitively an institution in Key Biscayne. Famous for its coffee, pastries and good old Cuban food.

New owner needs to learn a basic retail principle. NEVER MAKE YOUR CLIENTS WAIT TO PAY YOU. In the old days you could pay anyone serving you. Now all collections are made in one place. While it can be a good financial control mechanism, it is making it very frustrating for clients as there is always a wait to pay. If you are going to centralize the cashier, make sure you have somebody ALWAYS there. The owner is at the cashier most of the time but he steps out of it very frequently and nobody else is authorized to use the cash register. In the mean time, clients wait, and wait.

The salsa music in the background is way too loud. And the owner should take some singing lessons if he wants to sing that much. Finally, new ladies attending the public are very nice and pretty, but there is no need for them to wear provocative shirts.

I hope they take my suggestions in good stride and continue with the formula that has worked for decades at The Oasis.

• Visited December 2013
Esemiyoris, Owner at Oasis Sandwich Shop, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hello my name is Carlos flores and I am one of the current owners for oasis cafe.

First of all thank you for your patronage as well as your encouraging suggestions and observations. I will do everything in my power so that the cashier problem is resolved as you are not the first costumer to let us know about this problem. I will also see that the music is to an amiable volume.

Thank you again for your constructive criticism. Clients like you let us grow as a company.

Carlos Flores

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Must of been a sign! Thank you.”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Found this Cuban cafe on a bike ride I was doing in Miami. It started belting it down with rain so I pulled up to this cafe until it stopped raining. The smell from the food got to me and I had to get something. I have never had Cuban food before but the guy was really helpful and spent about 15 minute with me going through every single thing they sold lol he must of been getting annoyed inside but still carried on smiling and helping me.

I got rice (massive portion size). Slow cooked pork, fried pork chop, beef in sauce, potato, yuca, plantain, fried potato ball with grounded beef and a muffin. I got all that just for $15!!!!! I couldn't believe how cheap it was. It lasted me for two whole meals as well. The food tasted great. The meats were good but the yuca, potato, plantain and rice were amazing! If I was back there now, I wouldn't hesitate to go back in there. It must of been a sign it started raining. Great first Cuban meal experience.

1 Thank Marcus L
Kansas City, Missouri
“Oasis Found”
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Oasis Cafe - Oasis Found

After an afternoon on the Crandon Park beach we decided for a quick take-out sandwich place. Classic tasty Cuban food, twins sat inside at the counter and we stood up in wonder deciding on what to order as people came and Went. We ordered the torta milanesa, Cubano Grande, Fried Rice, Guava cake, flan and a cortadito. Lots of food but everything looked good so we could not decide. Family was very happy and we all shared with each other. We would have kept ordering.

Visited June 2013
United States
“My favorite meal in Key Biscayne”
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

Found this place on a recent visit to KB, and proceeded to recommend it to everyone I crossed paths with thru the rest of the trip. Simple, delicious, unpretentious Cuban food. Take out or eat in (at one of the minimal choices of seats). A good grasp of Spanish will come in handy. But you can have a fantastic meal regardless!

• Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Key Biscayne Original!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This take-out Cuban is one of the original staples of Key Biscayne. Usually people go there to drink the classic Cuban coffee and the ham croquetas, both are probably the best I have tried. Recently the place changed ownership and there has been some changes, but it is still a good stop when visiting Key Biscayne.

• Visited October 2012