“pleasantly surprised”

Key Colony Beach Motel
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We recently found this hotel online & booked a 3 night stay. The staff forwarned me that they were renovating when I spoke to them on the phone. I was assured the renovations would not be an issue to us though. Upon arrival, I found that they renovations were going on right in front of what was to be our room. The staff not only gave us a different room, but they moved to us a suite facing the ocean at no additional cost. They went above & beyond to make sure were going to be happy. Despite all of the construction & renovations, I would stay here again & again! What a great area...off the beaten path, but close to everything. Private beach, pool, pier...
We loved the "mom & pop" feel of the whole place. The property does need a few updates, but the majority of the older hotels in the Keys are this way. At least the owners are taking the steps to renovate this one. We will definitley be staying here again!

Room Tip: It's worth it to get the ocean view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shelby A

Reviewed 23 July 2012

From the reviews my expectations were realistic. I knew it was old and outdated. What I didn't know was the basic amenities were horrible. Mini TV that sometimes worked. The beds felt like they were stuffed with straw, not kidding. The pillows were lumpy. How hard it is to replace pillows!!! The final straw (beside the bed) was the shower head. When you turned it to hot water - it shut off. Cold water only. Can't do a beach vacation without hot water. One night we went elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janice H
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stumbled upon the resort’s website while making last minute plans for a vacation through bestbids.com. I read the majority of the reviews, visited the website, and even viewed the live webcam on the premises. Upon arrival, my first thought was that it was very nice. The staff was very friendly and the check-in was quick.

Our room was on the 3rd Floor. As we walked off the elevator, I noticed the walkway had a crack going straight across the entire walkway. It made me nervous. We walked in the room and my first impression was that the room very small and dated; however, the fact that the premise was private and the closeness of the beach made up for that.

Key Colony is right in the middle of the Island and it took 1 ½ hours to get to Key West. Therefore, if you’re looking to go to Key West, my suggestion is to look in Key West. However, if you’re looking to have a romantic getaway, then Key Colony is a great place.

CONS of the hotel included: running water in shower was very, very, very low and it took longer than usual to shower. The hot/cold water was inconsistent and made it difficult to get it to the right temperature. When flushing the toilet, the water in the tank seemed to never fill and made noises. We had to adjust it manually every time we used the bathroom in order for the water to fill and not keep running. Most importantly, the WIFI was NOT WORKING! This by far made my experience very unsatisfactory as we run a business. The staff tried to fix it, but it didn’t work. We did go outside on the beach in order to get internet access. The lobby itself closed at 9pm with no after-hours access which meant we couldn’t sit in the lobby to get some work done. Another factor with the lobby closing at 9pm was that the ice box was inaccessible. If we wanted ice, we would have to go BEFORE 9pm. The final con of this place was the construction that was taking place. It would have been very nice to know ahead of time that it was under construction instead of finding out early the next day by being startled to the sound of hammers and machinery.

PROS of the hotel included the privacy. The hotel sits right on the beach which meant no random people walking up and down. It was very private and romantic for me and my fiancée and the view at night was very beautiful as well. It felt like we were on our own private island. The stars and the moonlight were an amazing site.

Another pro included the bar next door. The staff was friendly and it was literally just steps away. I really enjoyed the ambiance that the evening brought. The breeze from the Atlantic made the night very memorable as well.

Although there were quite a bit of minor cons, I would probably stay again, but maybe after the construction is done. I would highly recommend spending extra on the lower levels or even the ocean view.

Room Tip: Spend more on the ocean view and stay toward the lower levels for better internet access.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stumbled into this Motel by a Billboard sign on the highway. I had became ill on our way to Key West.with respritory problems..We were going to stay one night, they head out ..The staff was so very nice and our room was like something from the 1950's..We fell in love with this motel and the view..The day we were to leave we desided to stay there for 4 more days, and upgraded to a suite.. instead of staying in Key West...We did daily trips from Key Colony..I can't wait to return...If you are looking for a Hotel with lots of amenties and modern rooms, well I would look elsewhere...But if you are a person who wants to be in a layed back friendly and clean motel ...You should check this one out.

Room Tip: ask for the suite
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia B
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I wouldnt stay here again the carpet looks unvacuumed, bed sheets had blood stains on them and the shower heads hardly had any water coming out of them. To top it all off there was heavy drilling and pounding. when we checked in the girl at the reception failed to inform us that the room next to us was under construction! I am never staying here again!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pot2x
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

The first sign of trouble was that they had forgotten to mention that some of the roooms were undergoing construction repairs. Then, our reservation for a king size bed was kindly ignored due to the fact that those units were the ones undergoing the repairs. Once we got to the room they assigned us, we realized that the refrigerator was not working. After notifying the staff, we were "upgraded" to an ocean view room. Wow! To our surprice and amusement, the next morning we woke up (thanks to the noise made by the construction workers) with a bunch of creepy crawlers in both beds. Yes, the beds were full of bed bugs! After showing the owner the bugs, and the blood left on the blankets from the dead ones, he kindly agree to drop the charges for the night and offered to show another room. No, thank you! Never again, would I visit this place!

• Stayed: May 2012
7  Thank b_garcia3
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Sorry, but people that rate this 4 or more stars have never been to a true 4 start motel or were drunk the whole time. Other than the great location on the ocean, there is nothing 4 star about the place. The owners and/or people at the desk were great and accommodating. The location is great. The basic functions (a/c, water, toilet, TV and lights) all worked, but the place is simply old and for the most part-out-dated. The mattress was on top of a board and slid all over the place. There was no shampoo and no hair dryer like you would expect in a 3-5 star operation. The wireless access for computers worked on one side of the building or in lobby only. It just looked old and tired. The prices were great, however.

Room Tip: If wireless access needed be sure to specify that as half the motel cannot provide that.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
Lime Tree Bay Resort
3 mi away
Coconut Cay Resort & Marina

Been to Key Colony Beach Motel? Share your experiences!