“Nice location but outdated”
Review of Continental Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Colony Beach
Continental Inn
Boston, USA
“Nice location but outdated”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here during January of 2014. We were in unit 5, which is a one bedroom unit featuring two quen beds and one fold out couch bed. My wife and I rent a condo because we generally want to cook most of our own meals. This unit was somewhat poorly equipped for cooking. The food prep knives were so dull that they should be thrown away. A small hand mixer would also be nice (something that we have found in most other kitchen equipped condos). The stove and fridge were fine. The internet wifi was adequate when it would stay connected. The router was constantly dropping me off and would sometimes take several minutes to reconnect my device. The complex is quiet, which is nice. The majority of the owners and guests appear to be 65 and older. My wife and I are in our mid 50s so we fit right in LOL. if you are on the younger side this might not be the place for you.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Copiague, New York
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Room was perfect for us but would be a little small for a family. Very clean. Small but adequate kitchen. Well stocked with pots, coffee pot and utensils. Staff was friendly and welcoming. Beach is small but we thought it was perfect. We stayed for 5 days and made it to the beach for sunrise everyday. Well worth getting up early for. Quiet location. We would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Our Family has been to this resort 4 times and counting. We always stay a week and love to fish off the beach then grill our catch and have a beer in the Tiki Hut. You would think that it would be crowded as it is small but we had the place to ourselves several times. I would consider buying one of these units we love them so much.

Room Tip: Get an end unit with water view!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Liz C
Andover, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I really wish there were somewhere that I could review this without giving away the location because I want to keep it MY SECRET! Wow! What a great place.
My wife needed a 'sun fix' so I did my due diligence, researched 100's of places, and finally determined that the Continental Inn would suffice. Little did I know that we would be so enamored with location, amenities, and price that we can guarantee we'll be back. This little spit of land its on, Key Colony, is like a gated community without the gate - quiet, serene, with boutique restaurants and shops. Some of the homes near the hotel could be multimillion dollar homes but the people walking the streets are very nice, greeting you with smiles, offering advice on bars and cafes in the neighborhoods, etc. While we were there we didn't have dogs barking, kids screaming, (except for the ones in the pool enjoying the afternoon), chickens crowing... it was as quaint as other reviewers had said. The 40-year old hotel is constantly in the mode of maintenance, lending to a well-manicured facility even though its dated.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darlene S
Warwick, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Older hotel that has been converted to individually owned units. Our room, #20, was spotless (I am a bit of a clean freak) and the kitchen was perfectly outfitted for the cooking of fresh seafood and drinking. Bathroom was small but immaculate and up-to-date. King bed with a fabulous mattress. The grounds were incredibly maintained...pool, beach, grill area (great grills!), and all structures. There is a park a short walk out the driveway which offers a glorious sunset without the touristy Key West frills. The night we went, a small group of people were singing and drinking and watching the sun and they seemed like locals more than anything. Key Colony is very quiet and laid back, a welcome respite at the beginning or end of each day (make sure you see a sunRISE from the Inn's beach ..spectacular!!!). Oh, if you have never been to the Keys, don't expect typical beaches; the Inn's is a miniscule, quite rocky strip with a seawall topped by groomed imported sand. But it's clear beautiful water. (We spent a great day in the water at the beach in Bahia Honda Park and another beach hopping in Key West .) For a first time trip to the Keys, we feel like we hit the jackpot! We had been in Miami on our way to the Keys, at a fancy golf resort, and we both agreed it did not hold a candle to our time at the Continental Inn. It is not for you if you need a spa, marble clad acres of bathroom and all amenities a resort provides, but it is for you if you want a serene and laid back home base for Key exploration.

Room Tip: We had an end room, toward the ocean. The balcony faced the neighboring condo parking lot, with just...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lushy58
Prosperity, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Continental inn for 4 nights in room 28 it was fabulous . Room was spotless and looked newly renovated . The walk in stone floor shower was a nice touch as was the rest of the furnishings . The grounds were clean and well maintained . The pool was spotless to . My wife and I loved our stay and will be back .

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaveInSC
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I found out about the Continental Inn by accident. Coincidentally, it was mentioned in a conversation at a time when I was looking for a place to stay in the Keys. It was highly recommended and I made a rez based on that.

The Continental Inn did not disappoint. It's a perfect example of how an older property can remain viable when well-tended. It's obviously cared for in every way. The pool is sparkling and our unit, #10, has been partially updated. The grounds were pristine.

In addition, everything is spotlessly clean. One night we grilled fresh seafood that we'd purchased that day. The entire grill area was perfect. Each morning during our visit I saw staff cleaning the grill areas.

It's this kind of attention to detail that will bring me back (plus its location -- halfway between Key Largo and Key West is a great place to stay).

Room Tip: #10 is an end unit steps away from the grills and the water.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Key Colony Beach Motel
Key Colony Beach Motel
#2 of 2 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Continental Inn? Share your experiences!