“Enormous room”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Miami, Florida
“Enormous room”
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed as part of a diving package with Rainbow Reef. This hotel has a very pretty and updated lobby and it's in a fantastic location on the harbor. Our room was a king suite, and it was ridiculously large. We had two bathrooms (one a typical toilet-sink-tub set-up and the other a toilet-sink-jacuzzi tub-separate shower with an awesome shower head arrangement). Just lovely. The patio, too, was enormous and shady. Great room. We had breakfast in the hotel cafe (not included in your rate), and it was much better than we would have guessed without having a full kitchen at their disposal, and the service was great, too.

The pool is wonderful, and between the pool and the harbor there is a sandy area with beach loungers. My kids really loved playing in the sand. The food was a big hit with them, too, as was the always clean pool.

We didn't ever see any staff to interact with besides maintenance crew and cleaning staff, and these people were wonderfully nice and professional. There's covered parking under the hotel, too, so that was nice, and if you're diving or taking a fishing charter, there are tons of stands for various companies right in the parking lot at the head of the harbor.

I woke up a few times each night because of late-returning boats rumbling into their slips, and that was unexpected. I'm a heavy sleeper and the beds were comfortable, but something about that rumble just woke me right up several times a night. My husband and kids (all light sleepers) didn't wake up at all, so I'm not sure what to make of that. It wasn't bothersome, really; I'd just wake up and note "Hey, I'm in the keys, on the harbor. Nice," then fall right back to sleep.

When we go back to Key Largo (and we will for sure be going back) we will definitely stay at the this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank KatieInContinuance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I booked my stay here at the Marriott Courtyard as part of a diving package with Rainbow Reef Diving. Great location! Walk right out of the hotel right onto the dive boat. Was able to get 8 dives in 3 days...and I could have got in 2 more if I had wanted. After morning dives could come back right to the hotel, get a bite, and back on the boat. Nice rooms, great pool. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book with a dive package
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank RKR10
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I was cautious about this hotel after reading reviews. I was hoping that the Courtyard wasn't the dump that some reviewers said. I am not certain as to the exact date, but the Courtyard has had a major overhaul. New: carpet, paint, interior of hotel, fitness center, food area, and rooms.
Our rooms were comfortable. My only negative was that the local bar across the channel played loud music all night. To combat the noise in the room, I turned on our ac and fan. Problem solved.
The fitness center was squeaky clean and had new equipment (2 treadmills, bike, elliptical). They also had a set of free weights and exercise ball.
The food served at the Courtyard was pretty tasty. I was impressed. They do not have a breakfast buffet.
The location is convenient to Key Largo.
I would stay here again:)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Worldsbig
keylargoresortsmgmt, Director of Sales at Courtyard Key Largo, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
Dear Guest,

I reviewed your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Courtyard Key Largo. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our update hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we receive.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our comfortable beds, found our Bistro restaurant tasty and cleanliness of the fitness center. We will share your comments with our staff at our next meeting.

The restaurant located next door, unfortunately is not under our management, however, we will advise them to adhere to the Monroe County Noise Ordiance of 10pm.

Grant, Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2011

It was a Howard Johnsons, then a Ramada and now it is a Marriott.
It is not a great place, but it is really very average. They are always painting, repairing and working on something.
Sure is busy, with the lobby having people trying to check in at all times of the day. Nice furniture design in the lobby, but computers in the lobby did not work well and nobody was around to fix them. Staff seemed unconcerned.
No free breakfast this time, but there is a Starbucks near the check in.
I would stay here again. Our room was nice and the price was fair. There are other choices, but they might cost more.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Impala guy
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Marriott took over an old property and had the rooms redone very nice and clean inside, BUT THEY FORGOT TO FIX THE BALCONIES. It's a shame the lack of attention to details. Take a look at my photos.
I hope they read this and fix it. There is also an annoying light in the balcony with no way to turn it off.
I still recommend it because the rooms inside are brand new.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Guest,

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Key Largo Courtyard Marriott. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback as we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we receive. I apologize for the inconvenience of the automatic balcony light and take steps will correct this. We will also notify housekeeping to do a sweep of the balconies.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our recent upgrades to the guestrooms and new lobby area.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Stayed two nights...never slept a wink...walls must be paper thin, our room was on the marina side and we could hear everything and patrons of Coconuts bar last night was the worst. Older property but rooms updated but NOT very clean...dusty, water marks from glasses on night stands...got a room for our friends and their children, they were on the other side of the hotel and about 3am heard hair raising screams of folks...scared them to death...again...NOISE. Need to step up to "Marriott" standards...less than stellar. We checked in about 3p and I went to get a cup of the complimentary coffee after a long drive and there were no cups...I asked the front desk and she looked at me like she didn't know what I was talking about...I went back over there again to search in the cabinet below for a cup....forget it, she didn't care, so no coffee for me...I had to hit starbucks, thanks Marriott!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Surrey U.K
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Our 2 adult daughters stayed here for 4 nights in February because we stayed with friends nearby. We knew where this hotel was & that it was convenient.

Check in was efficient but no real welcome.

We'd asked for a higher floor & were given 328 on the top floor so thank you very much. We were impressed by the recent refurbishmnet.

As we entered the room it had the 'wow' factor, clean, smart, neat & the view was great from the balcony (with 2 chairs).

Our daughters said that the beds were very comfy & they slept well. The room was cleaned very well each day & the housekeeping staff that we encountered were very pleasant & friendly. Toiletries & coffee/tea sachets etc were replenished daily.

The tv did seem to have a mind of its own & the remote didn't work even after new batteries were put in. The girls just had to get up each time to change channels, not the end of the world. They enjoyed lazing by the pool & under the tikki hut on the little man made beach.

A great feature for those who didn't have sunrise view rooms was the big picture window & comfy chairs to watch the sunrise on a mezzanine style level.

Tea & coffee was available throughout the day.

There was a computer to use for free on the ground floor which was useful but the printer was out of order whilst we were there.

We didn't partake of breakfast any day so we can't comment on that.

It was useful that the some of the car parking area was underneath the hotel which kept it out of the sun.

Check out was easy but the staff member didn't even smile.

A great stay though & we wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Roxy-Popsy
keylargoresortsmgmt, Director of Sales at Courtyard Key Largo, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear Guest,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Courtyard Key Largo. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we receive. I apologize for both your arrival and departure experience. Our culture at Marriott is to encourage a great stay with a warm welcome as well as a fond farewell.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our guestrooms, ample space with private balcony and all of our wonderful amenities.