“Great staff and surprising views”

Courtyard by Marriott Key Largo
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Clearwater, FL
“Great staff and surprising views”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Got in late and appreciated the very nice young lady, Krissy, who checked us in. She had a lobby full but still answered questions and got our group fixed up. Next morning went out for a walk and this property backs into a little lagoon-harbor with tons of boats anchored up. So you can take your am walk around the harbor and sightsee as you get your exercise in. We worked in the lobby and the front desk people were very helpful again with recommendations for our business day came in tired and once again, Krissy was all too happy to help with our needs, recommendations for tomorrow's meals, etc. Love the property, the staff, the views.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
keylargoresortsmgmt, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Key Largo, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding our hotel. It is our aim to have every guest depart with the same feelings that you experienced. You are 100% correct, Krissy at the front desk is a very nice young lady who exemplifies what customer service is all about. I'm glad you loved the property, the staff and the views. We hope that next time you are in Key Largo your first choice will be the Courtyard once again.

Miguel Waldo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Courtyards have always been a favorite place to stop for the night when I can. Checked in around 10:30pm by a friendly front desk attendant. Room was nice, couch with comfortable king sized bed, desk with rolling chair, didn’t notice the safe in the TV cabinet till the next morning. Bath tub was a little cramped, shower doors are a nice touch rather than a shower curtain but the door handle combined with the handicapped rail at the same height didn’t leave much elbow room. There was a non slip mat in the tub though. Room had a lovely view of the parking lot and gas station next door. Was only there for the night and I was able to park below my room where I could see my vehicle so that was ok. I later found out a view of the Marina is $20 more a night, was not offered when I made reservation by phone. My room was missing one of the security bars on the sliding balcony doors, you could see where it was screwed in and marks on the frame left by the rubber tip. Not a big deal though since I was on the 3rd floor (4th if you include the parking garage).

Lobby was nice, looks a little different now from some of the pictures posted online, must have been a fairly recent remodel. Stairs going to the rooms off the lobby were a nice alternative to waiting for the elevator. There was some more work going on while I was there. Some exposed Ethernet wires in the hall and a few holes here and there but nothing distracting, just noticeable. The few workers I saw worked quietly in the morning. Other reviews mentioned complimentary cookies, popcorn, etc but I didn’t notice any of those things available during my stay.

Since the pool was only open till 11pm I went for a swim after unloading the car. I consider any pool deeper than 5 feet to be a nice one, this one was 6 feet. Enjoyed the pool and the hot tub after driving most of the day. Thought it was strange that the pool towels were not at the pool, you had to check them out from the front desk by writing down how many you got and your room number.

After the pool I went down to the front desk around 11:30pm to inquire about where I could go for a late dinner in the area. I knew I had passed a Denny’s and some other places on my way there from Key West so I asked if they knew how late it was open or if there were any other options. Front desk attendant (different than when I checked in) said there was only a Waffle House down the street, for anything else I would have to drive into Homestead, she was unaware of a Denny’s. Took a chance and drove south in search of the Denny’s. Found it 2 miles down US 1 from the hotel. They also had a bar that’s open till 2am. According to the employees I spoke to they are only 1 of 3 Denny’s in the nation to have a bar inside and they had been open since early 2013. When I returned to the hotel there was a security guard riding through the parking lot on a golf cart, good to see. I informed the front desk attendant on the location and hours of the restaurant before I went upstairs incase anyone asked her about late night dining in the future.

Tried to get on the internet when I got back to the room and was prompted for an access code. Disconnected and tried again thinking I had gotten on the wrong router, still wanted a code. I remembered seeing something written on the little envelope the room keys were in, retrieved it from the trash can and tried the number. It worked. Code was not mentioned when I checked in.

Got up the next morning and went down for another swim before leaving but the pool was occupied by a scuba lesson. Didn’t want to get in their way so I just watched for a little while. If I had known they did them at the hotel I might have signed up, the female instructor was really cute!

Unfortunately this Courtyard has the new Bistro for breakfast rather than the buffet so I went elsewhere but I did get some orange juice. $3.23 for a 12oz bottle of OJ is a bit excessive, I can get a gallon for that price at the grocery store.

Went down for check out and had my pool towels that I had checked out the evening before, made sure to return them in person since there was a “charged to room” column on the towel check out form. Desk attendant looked at me funny when I walked up with them. I informed her about the missing security bar on one of my double balcony doors. She told me there was only supposed to be a bar on one door.

If I were passing through Key Largo I would stay here again, might see about the option of getting a room with a regular shower rather than a bathtub though. I would definitely have to check out the scuba lessons if I returned.

Room Tip: Marina View if you don't want to look at a gas station.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GwinnettGuy
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review regarding the hotel and your experiences. I'm glad that you felt that the front desk attendant was friendly. I apologize for the exposed ethernet cables as we are upgrading our wifi in order to provide faster and better service. Many of our guests also enjoy the deeper pool as well as the hot tub. Next time you are in Key Largo you definately have to sign up for a scuba class. The Florida Keys provide some of the most scenic coral reefs in the entire world.

We hope to see you back soon.

Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was a great place to stay in Key Largo, a great jumping off point for adventure. It is close to the marina, docks and all sorts of activities. Fishing, diving, glass bottom boat, dinner cruises, African Queen and good food options for all palettes. The Conch House has great food and Sharkey's Galley was right above the canal for great food(lots) and beer assortment.

Room Tip: Ask for west facing poolside for relaxed morning coffee in the shade and afternoon sun with a casual...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I recently stayed here just as a way to get away from it all. It is in a great location (walking distance of a few restaurants and a few bars). I had breakfast in The Bistro. Wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised. I had the breakfast BLT and it was very good. Also, you can get Starbuck's coffee. Not just coffee, if you want the White Chocolate Mocha, you can get it. This is different than most hotels that sell Starbucks.

All the Front Desk staff that I came into contact with were very pleasant and helpful.

There is a Holiday Inn right next door (less than a minute walk), and it is their sister property. The cool thing is that you can go to their pool and sit at the tiki bar at the pool, and charge everything to your room.

There is an area between the Courtyard and the Holiday Inn that you can make arrangements for diving, glass bottom boat, boat tour, etc. Very nice, very convenient.

All in all, I had a great stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Greenland, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Pet friendly. Cafe in lobby. Without a doubt, this is one of the best hotels we have stayed at. It is clean, cute, quiet, and has beautiful balcony views of one of the canals that threads into the key. The staff was friendly, the rooms clean and comfortable, and a nice sense of privacy make this a perfect base to explore the rest of the Florida Keys.

Room Tip: Room 127 has a great view of the canal.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
keylargoresortsmgmt, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Key Largo, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Wow, six stars! We are delighted and honored for your glowing review especially from a Trip Advisor Top Contributor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. We agree that this is a great hotel with clean, comfortable rooms and a friendly staff.
We hope to see you again soon.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great location in Key Largo. Walking distance to Docs Diner. Nice to see the African Queen go out daily. Friendly hotel staff, fresh popcorn and baked cookies daily. Rooms are spacious. Nice pool with hot tub. Breakfast was not great at this hotel. Had a slight problem with room which manager handled right away to our satisfaction.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina. This way you can see the dive/snorkel boats go out!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
keylargoresortsmgmt, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Key Largo, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel as well as the friendly staff, the popcorn and the cookies.
Next time you are in Key Largo we hope you stay with us again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Room very comfortable and clean, good place to stop on a road trip to rest your head. Coffee machine in reception 24 hours but no food
Nice restaurant in an adjoining hotel though just across the car park.
Key largo is a great place for fishing and diving but not a lot else.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
keylargoresortsmgmt, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Key Largo, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I'm glad to read that you thought our rooms were comfortable and clean. We take pride in the hotel and our delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope next time you are in Key Largo you stay with us again.