“Stay at Marriott 5 mins away”

Courtyard Key Largo
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Stay at Marriott 5 mins away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

We arrived here quite late one night (approx 8pm) with no reservation and asked for best rate available....considering it was late and whole area appeared to be deserted and devoid of tourists as we had been constantly told by local restaurant/bar staff....we thought the reception staff would do their best to offer us a good deal but I was mistaken!...the whole foyer area is under reconstruction with a small reception table in one corner....accompanied by a small sign apologising for inconvenience. The staff receptionist..."Patricia" was extremely unfriendly and despite our better instincts we decided to just stay here as did not want to travel any further. The room she gave us was right along the main road (despite I would imagine a 20% occupancy rate so she could have chosen a much better room) and thus the noise in the morning was horrendous accompanied by the noise from the workmen in the foyer which was clearly audible from our room.
Not one word from the receptionist in the morning as to how our stay was etc so I can definitely say I would not recommend anyone to stay here..at least until their renovations are complete and they give their staff an urgent training course on customer service.
However do go along to the Marriott just about 5 mins north which is a beautiful hotel with exceptionally helpful staff...especially Renee at reception who was most co-operative in helping me make contact with Marriott Key West where I had left something behind the night before.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SGD6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

We stayed here in June to dive and were just back over Labor Day weekend - what a difference! The lobby is being renovated and the hotel was basically deserted. The room that previously offered the continental breakfast has been dismantled and we were provided with vouchers for the breakfast across the canal at Holiday Inn. Not bad at all, however, we had an early morning dive and the restaurant didn't open at HI until 7 so we were stuck eating breakfast from the Circle K that day! The front desk now consists of a table with a computer and the staff seems to be making the best of a difficult situation.

One complaint - the rooms appeared clean and housekeeping was always happy to provide extra towels, etc but on arrival to the room the first day I walked barefoot from the bath to the bed and had a mass of loose hair (not mine) collect on my foot that resembled a small guinea pig. Needless to say, I wore shoes at all times after that.

I'll stay again b/c of the supreme location to Rainbow Reef's dive boats. Good food on the opposite side of the canal at Sharky's, too - didn't try Coconuts, which is directly across from the hotel b/c we'd been warned it was slow and greasy. For a nice dinner, try the Conch House, about 1/4 mile from the hotel, same side of the street. The macadamia nut crusted hogfish was outstanding!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

This Ramada was just OK. For the price, I wish we had stayed elsewhere. It was one of my least favorites on our 28 day road trip. The front desk lady was not friendly or helpful. The breakfast was average. I would choose to stay somewhere else next time, but I would still recommend this place for a clean and comfortable night's sleep.

1 Thank erinvic
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I picked this hotel because I wanted to go snorkeling with my family and the company we were using (reef roamer) was located next door to them. The room was a lot bigger than I thought it would be so that was a pleasant surprise. Everyone was so nice and helpful. There is free wireless internet and a free breakfast (fruits, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, milk, OJ, waffles, pateries, etc.). The beds were very comfy!!

The nearest state park with a "beach" is John Pennekamp state park. Its full of rocks and very green. Avoid. We did some snorkeling in Marathon at the Sombrero reef (Spirit Snorkerling) and that was worth the 50+ mile drive and we enjoyed the beach at bahi honda state park. The Ramada Limited is in a really good location especially if you want to scuba or go snorkeling. I would stay there again for sure when I return.

1 Thank lucyw17
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two days to go snorkeling and deep sea fishing. The location was great for those activities. Our room was on the pool/canal side which was pleasant. It allow us to watch the charter boats come and go. The room was a good size the bathroom was upgraded, and there was a balcony. All positive.

However there was a serious problem with the electronic card entry. It took going back and forth to the front desk three or four times just to get in the room the first time. The desk clerk said we probably put it next to a magnet which would deactivate it.. I thought that was plausible, as my purse had a magnet clasp. Then we came back from dinner, and had the same door key issues. The following morning the card wouldn't work at all. Maintenance was called, replaced the battery and tinkered around with the lock for over an hour. He said it was all fixed, but no... when we came back from snorkeling the same problem occured. They had a master override and let us back in. Then we left for dinner and an evening deep sea fishing charter. When we returned from fishing at 1am the door wouldn't open. The front clerk didn't have a master key, didn't want to wake the maintenance guy, and instead called security. Security was over at the Holiday Inn (doesn't that make you feel safe) and it was pouring down rain, but eventually he got to the hotel. The desk clerk proceeded to expect the security guy to let us in. He continually told her he didn't have a key, but she wouldn't listen. Finally I told her to provide us with tooth brushes and another room. She only had one left, and it was reserved. She said the other party would be mad if she gave their room away. I told her I would be very mad right now if she didn't provide us with a bed. By now it was 2am! We fell asleep in the new room, with our personal things in the broken room. About an hour later, they called and woke us in the new room to tell us the maintenance guy was there to open the door for us on the old room. What nerve! They expected us to vacate one room or the other at 3am! We ended up packing all of our personal things from the old room and moving them to the new room. I have never had so much trouble at a hotel. The property has deferred maintenance, and the front desk help on the night shift is clearly out of her element. Be prepared to be locked out. Forget about service.

1 Thank Jen33705
RamadaKeyLargo, General Manager at Courtyard Key Largo, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Jen, thank you very much for your review! I deeply regret that you were locked out of your room and that we were unable to get you in quickly. Since the time of this incident, we have retrained our staff on the proper procedures to quickly and efficiently let a guest back into their room - no matter what time of night. Please contact the hotel directly for further follow up in regards to this major inconvenience you experienced.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

This hotel was great! We were able to check in early on Friday, and the room was large and clean. The balcony overlooked the marina, which was beautiful in the morning and quiet in the evening. There were several pools at surrounding hotels which we were allowed to use, and we had a great time. I would recommend this to anyone coming to Key Largo!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katy41500
BRADENTON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

Booked our trip with Rainbow Reef Divers, along with a dive package for a full 7 days stay. The hotel is nicely located right next to Rainbow Reef's dive boat. Nice pool and hot tub and most rear rooms overlook the water. Very convenient to most dive center boats, that leave from this inlet. I recommend booking with Rainbow Reef, you can choose the Ramada or another hotel next door. Do not eat at Coconuts restaurant, overpriced and not very good.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple