“Best advise - don't stay here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Key Largo House Boatel
Toronto
“Best advise - don't stay here”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We checked in and within an hour we were ready to leave. Our mistake was to inspect the unit on arrival but it was too late for that because George had already left for the day and process the full payment BEFORE we arrived. We contacted him and requested a refund but he said the terms were clear no refunds however he did refund a small portion of the money. We left the next morning but we should have left right away because I barely slept all night. We first realized that the fridge didn't work and were told they would replace it in the morning. We then discovered that the door didn't lock from the inside. We were told that it had a padlock on the outside! The window going out to the back deck did not lock either. There were no facecloths or hand towels, and no dish towel however there was 2 bath towel and a bar of soap. There was no sink in the bathroom so the only place to brush you teeth was in the kitchen sink! There is no sofa or table in unit number 4 because they have stuck two single beds in the living room. The toaster only worked when you held the handle down. No kettle and the gas stove work without lighting it with a lighter and we weren't going to do that. We didn't shower there because we could see someone else's footprints in the shower floor. It wasn't the only thing the maid forgot to clean. The blinds in the kitchen were covered in food splatters. The door frames, walls and light switches looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time. We lit a candle to try to mask the smell of the place but the worse part was the smell coming from the hole behind the fridge. I bent down to put something on the table and I was along knocked out by the smell. The three steps going from the bedroom to main level are very dangerous. I missed the first tiny little step and fell. I was lucky to only have a mild sprain and was better after a few days. I am sure that George's insurance company would have something to say about the steps and also the walkway to the back deck which has no railing and electrical wiring. All in all the place is in very poor condition. I would not recommend this to anyone. We moved to the Key West Inn down the street which was clean.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay.
5 Thank surveyguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Pro
- Fantastic location (yes, really nice, next to the water)
- Restaurant opposite is ok for breakfast
- Relatively inexpensive
Con
- Whole thing is extremely dated and in bad repair. One wall in our shower was nearly rotten
- Low water pressure – having a shower requires patience
- Two rooms smelled of sewer
- The sheets were too small to fit on the mattress
- Not sure how clear the mattress was ....
- BBQ is provided, but mostly no crockery or cutlery
- The owners seem to adore spiritual drinks, which might explain why it took more than 20 e-mails to book ...

Room Tip: ask for waterfront
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rainer S

Travellers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We just spent a few days at the Largo Sound Houseboat rentals - THE BOATAL. I DO NOT recommend this place! We would have left immediately but the owner charged us the full 4 days we booked for and refused to refund it.
These units are leaning to one side - so you better be careful when getting out of bed! They are terribly maintained. In one unit the fridge looked like it was dragged out of the garbage dump. There was a battery charging right next to the master bed. Great to breathe in acid all night!
The toilet in a unit was at such a slant and low to the ground that you had to hold the seat up and back yourself into it! They smelled old and mildewy.
The walkway in front of one unit felt like it was only one hard step away from falling into the water. The banisters on the decks were dangerous! As the nails in the wood had rotted away, so don't push on them. I don't even know where to begin with the flooring in the units! Some of it was soft and rotting aways, the carpets were filthy and the all the floors were uneven and slanted! YUCK!
In the upstairs unit the huge outdated ceiling fan was only feet above the bed, so be very careful or you will get clipped!
The wonderful spiral staircase they talk about on the website....it's missing half of the 3 stair from the top so if your not careful - WATCH OUT!
The wi-fi was hit and miss, mostly you had to be at the front of the buildings for it to work. And the OLD tube TV's in one unit didn't work at all!
There were 2 things good about this place....1. The view was nice. 2. The food in the Hideout Hotel next to this property was great and run by nice people! (not affiliated with this place at all.) AVOID!!!!!

Room Tip: TIP of the day: STAY AWAY! $120 per night to stay in a dump. Not worth it!
8 Thank myproductshelf
Barcelona
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This review goes for houseboat #1*, which I would avoid like the plague.

Pros:
1) It's a houseboat
2) It has a kitchenette
3) Gary, the on-site caretaker, is very nice and helpful

Cons:
1) Roaches: we didn't see any until the end of our last night there, but once you see one, you know there are about 1,000 lurking in the shadows. It was a great way to finish our stay, in other words.
2) An intermittent smell of raw sewage.
3) The bathroom was fairly disgusting, between the old astroturf floor and the...whatever brown crap it was that seemed to independently find its way onto the floor of the shower. Let's just say that it was flip-flop kind of bathing experience.
4) Beds were mediocre at best; sheets had stains on them. (I hear white-sheets and bleach make for a good hotel combo, hint hint.)
5) Ceilings are extremely low. If you're over 5'8 (1.75 m), this place is not for you.
6) The door is extremely difficult to shut; it is a crappy sliding door that clearly needs to serviced or, preferably, replaced.
7) The window next to the bed is impossible to shut all the way. This might seem trite but it was 50 degrees fahrenheit (10 degrees centigrade) one of the nights we stayed there.
8) George, the owner, is not in the slightest bit helpful. He himself is never there; nor does he answer his phone. Which might not be a big deal, except that we had severe difficulties getting to Key Largo. In fact, our original flights were cancelled and we did not arrive in Key Largo until a full day after we were meant to. Needless to say, it would have been nice to talk to someone besides his voicemail, on which we left several messages throughout the day. (And no, he did not get back to us.) We informed him (or his voicemail) that we would not be able to make it our first night by 5 pm that day (2 hours after check in...).

When we did arrive, he was certainly not there to let us in, although he did at least have the courtesy to answer his phone.

Finally, and I am in no way surprised at this, George charged us full price for the night that we missed, on the grounds that "if somebody had come" he would have had to turn them away. Now, I hate to be a skeptic, but I don't imagine that he had a lot of walk-ins on the first Monday of January when half the flights in the country were cancelled. Also there were other vacant boats when we arrived on Tuesday, thus making it even less likely that we would have "cost him money" by making him hold onto our room. Which, again, we had cancelled by 5 pm. He did offer us 25% off our next stay, so there's that. (Needless to say I won't be taking advantage of that...and you could tell he was well aware of that.)

It would have been nice if he'd cut us a break. In fact, given the fact that we booked for only three days and the cancellation fee in the contract is 25% of the total reservation cost, he's probably actually legally obliged to cut 10-15 bucks of the total bill. (This only came to my attention after our stay had finished, and I do not feel like getting in a fight over those peanuts.) All in all, his attitude and his lack of generosity were just another reason to hate on the Houseboatel

*we met a couple who stayed on another houseboat and it was so much nicer than ours it was not even funny. Dude should definitely charge about half of what he does for the piece of junk we stayed at.

7 Thank jlupo
PA
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed her last year and were happy with our stay so we decided to stay again this year. WOW! Big mistake. We had to sleep on the lawn chairs on the deck both nights we stayed there because the boat smelled like sewer so bad we couldn't stand to sleep inside the boat. When we arrived the walked us to our boat and opened the door. Instantly I could smell a horrible sewer smell. The lady I think her name was Elsa told me oh that's the ocean smell. I am sorry but I know the difference between Poop and Fish smell!!!! We told them that it was clearly a problem with the holding tank and we would like for them to have their maintenance man look at it. He said if we left for a few hours he'd have it fixed. He also mentioned he had been having the same problem with other boats there. We left and came back a few hours later and got a chance to get a better look at our Boat we were staying in #4. first of all the roof was leaking into the TV! the second Tv did not work at all. Infront of the frig they had layed flooring over a hole in the floor. Every time I stepped infront of the frig I thought I was going to fall through. The doors did not lock from the inside. To get to the deck on the boat you had to walk outside and along the very narrow side of the boat with no rail to get to it or you could crawl out the window in the front. Which was not very easy. There were also no table and chairs to sit at inside to eat. Not that I would have cooked there anyway. Stove had slop dripped down the sides. Not very clean at all! The boat beside us had a side dock that was attached to ours so if they walked to their boat it would rock ours. We will never stay at this place again. As I said I stayed here the year before and knew it was rustic and didn't expect more than that. But I draw the line at sewer smell and roofs that leak into a TV that is plugged into an outlet with about 5 other things. Very shakey. If you ask me the place is going down hill in a big way. BEWARE!

Room Tip: My tip is don't stay here!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chamelian
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The rooms are not the Ritz, but the view/ambiance of the property makes up for it. Plus they really try to make the rooms nice. Management is very nice and helpful. Great laid back location right in the Keys! Only downside is they don't have an ice maker so plan ahead!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Arizona
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

A little run down but a good effort made to have it be decent. Clean inside though hardwood laminate floor consistently getting dirty by anything dragged in from outside. Easy enough to remember to remove shoes. Some circuit breaker issues threw power off from time to time. Small yet cozy and good for one. Can't imagine two people in here though. Considering how expensive everything else around keys is this was a decent value.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo